• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Passengers stranded for hours on Disneyworld gondola

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Not a good look for Dopp at allll. Disneyworld is a huge PR stage and this thing having such a major major malfunction just a week since opening could be cause for huge concern that there is some sort of defect.

How did all those cabins stack up without an employee or a sensor noticing the fault??? It looks like 6-8 gondola all piled into each other in the station. If you're operating the line at a ludicrous speed with 6 seconds between cabins that at least 36 seconds of time. More likely it was 8-10 second spacing so at or near a full minute of collision.

jimmywilson69

crazy...

I was reading up on this yesterday. Interesting concept. The gondola cabins don't have air conditioning?!?!?! It'll be awesome once there is a long stop in the sweltering Florida Sun, Heat, and Humidity

machski

crazy...

I was reading up on this yesterday. Interesting concept. The gondola cabins don't have air conditioning?!?!?! It'll be awesome once there is a long stop in the sweltering Florida Sun, Heat, and Humidity
They have an emergency stop kit in each cabin with bottled water, emergency ice packs (think the sports med types), etc. The other issue is that they designed some stations with dual loading, where one cabin actually splits off the main cabin lane and completely stops to allow disabled individuals to load/unload from a stopped cabin. It is then suppose to resequence automatically into the flow. Obviously this part malfunctioning could send the whole thing into a mess. The other thing with the station picture is they have two high angle turn stations, one of which will never have a load/unload, one that will in the future, but at both the cabins come off line as the turn is so highly angled. That could have happened there and I have no idea if that is monitored by a human or electronically.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

ceo

I've read that the cabins are designed for passive cooling and that it actually works quite well. Apparently the cause was a broken drive roller belt, which surprises me; I thought they had multiple belts. And yes, also really surprising they were able to pile up like that; I'd have thought the sensors would detect the stopped carrier and shut down the lift.

jimmywilson69

yes the passive cooling works while its moving.

Gondolas stop all of the time. Sitting in one of those Cabins, even this time of year, it can easily be 90 is going to suck super bad if even for 5 minutes.