• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snowbasin 02/25/07

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Where: Snowbasin, UT
Date: Sunday, February 25, 2007
Conditions: Packed powder with chopped up powder in a lot of spots. Snow throughout the day brought, you guessed it, POWDER! :)
Weather: Snow all day increasing in volume as the day went on.

Report: Wasn't sure where to go today, Alta and Snowbird recieved large amounts of snow in the past 2 days, to the tune of 26", Snowbasin got a total of 11" in the last two day. The original plan was to hit Snowbasin today, I stuck with the original plan and had no regrets. Our first impression of Snowbasin as we hit the lodge was, "Is that a lodge or is that like the Waldorf Astoria?" Unbelievable. Bottom line loved the lodge and service never seen anything like this before. The lodge was all hardwood and brass. The service was unbelievable. Lunch time we couldn't find a free table, an employee helped us find a table, got us extra chairs, made sure we were comfy, informed us of the space under the chair to put our helmets and gear, and finished by asking us if we need anything else. After we got done eating a girl stopped by, took our trays and cleaned the table. As we loaded the gondola, the lift attendants alway took our skis and place them in the rack for us. A nice lodge and good service is great, but, I'm there for the mountain and skiing. Well the mountain wasn't dissapointing. However first thing in the morning, the left over powder was a little choppy and nothing all that special. We mostly did laps off the gondi, the Strawberry Peak area was closed. Later in the afternoon, we took the John Paul lift up. By this time the snow accumilations had started growing, it was snowing most of the day. We found ourselves in some of the best pow conditions yet, the trails there were excellent and in the end we all walked out with big grins on our face. We may hit Snowbasin again before we leave Saturday. Oh, as I sit here and type this, it's snowing again :) Anyway some pics for you, didn't get too many of the terrain cause all the snow made visibility a bit tough:

The Lodge:

normal_P2250017.JPG

This is the dining room where we got all the great service:

normal_P2250019.JPG

This is off the John Paul lift, it's pretty much Snowbasins equivelent of the Castlerock areas, all wild. We found about two feet of fresh pow here by end of day:

normal_P2250049.JPG

Zook putting on here powder straps, they were definetly needed today:

normal_P2250050.JPG

More pics to follow, maybe do Snowbird tomorrow. :) Oh, about 2" fell in the past hour :) Life is good!

Last edited:

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Nice pics, even if you dont like skiing the lodge itself looks and sounds worth it.

Believe it or not, this is the sink area in the men's room.
normal_P2250020.JPG

The toilets themselves are not regular stalls, I didn't check them out, but they looked like individual rooms. They also have nice little cubicles, wood ofcourse, for hooking your PC up to the Internet.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
And some more pics:

V still enjoying her new skis:

normal_P2250055.JPG

normal_P2250056.JPG

Zook having a blast in the pow:

normal_P2250058.JPG

Front of Snowbasin:

normal_P2250062.JPG

The snow under that lift was the best snow of the day:

normal_P2250064.JPG

RISkier

Nice report and pics. We did 3 days at Snowbasin earlier this year. The lodges are truly unbelievable. I was ready to move into the bathrooms. Folks were friendly and service was very good. Food is also VERY good and you don't feel ripped off. It kind of flies off the radar cause it's further from SLC than the Cottonwood Canyons resorts and there's really no bed base at the mountain, but it's an amazing place.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Nice report and pics. We did 3 days at Snowbasin earlier this year. The lodges are truly unbelievable. I was ready to move into the bathrooms. Folks were friendly and service was very good. Food is also VERY good and you don't feel ripped off. It kind of flies off the radar cause it's further from SLC than the Cottonwood Canyons resorts and there's really no bed base at the mountain, but it's an amazing place.

Yeah, it's a bit of a ride from us, about an hour and a half, but I think we'll have to hit it a again. Some really nice terrain. Also, I think all this white powder is giving me insomnia. Here it is 5am and I'm sitting on AZ. Didn't go to bed until midnight and woke up 4:30(Don't forget 2 hour diff.) :) But for today, Snowbasin is reporting another 15". It's a nasty job, but someone's got a track it up ;)

This just in:

[SIZE=+2]Cottonwood Canyons Forecast [/SIZE][SIZE=+0]This forecast is for use in snow safety activities and emergency management. [/SIZE]Issued at:2007-02-26 02:55:00
Synopsis:
***WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT 3AM THROUGH 4PM TUESDAY*** A moist flow will bring periods of light snow to the area today with light accumulations expected. A more potent storm will increase winds and bring heavier snow beginning Monday night. This storm will last into Tuesday...with moist northwest flow through Wednesday. Storm total accumulations of up to 2 feet are possible through Wednesday.

Last edited:

ChileMass

Remember that Snow Basin was where the 2002 Olympic downhill and Super-G were held, so they put a lot of money into it. When I was there last in 1998, the old lodge was barely more than a double-wide trailer. SnowBasin rules.......glad you're having fun.....