Did I buy the wrong skis?? - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Sweet, thanks for the advice man. If they're too much I'll convince my Sasquatch of a friend to buy em from me hahah
    Quote Originally Posted by Edd1026195
    If you were able to manhandle the Brahmas Id say your chances are good of the enjoying the new skis. Brahmas are not noodles.

Exactly. After everyone I talked to I felt like the 191's wouldn't at all be too much ski, but holding them in hand gave me my doubts. I'm sure it'll feel weird at first but after a few runs I'll adjust... hopefully....

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    I don't know. When I bought my Hell and Backs and first saw them after they were delivered I wondered the same thing. My cousin worked in the industry at the time and was very familiar with my skiing style and abilities and recommended the size though, so I trusted him when ordering them. After skiing them I was reassured and I have been happily using them for years now.

Quote Originally Posted by beefstew177 View Post
    After everyone I talked to I felt like the 191's wouldn't at all be too much ski
    Keep in mind that in 2019 there are hoards of skiers skiing on skis that are too long.

Of the three potential cohorts of people:

1) Skis are too short
    2) Skis are appropriately sized
    3) Skis are too long

I would suggest that group #3 is shockingly large.

This is mainly due to the attitudes & beliefs about ski length in the pre-shaped era, which still persists today, even though it is no longer valid. Get enough people to believe something, and even though that something is false, it may durably last. You don't have to wait 30 minutes after eating to go swimming, and hair will not grow back thicker after shaving.
    Last edited by BenedictGomez; Oct 9, 2019 at 9:13 AM.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

First off, I love my Pinnacle 95's (so much, I bought a second pair and are waiting til I kill the first completely to mount them). I am 5'7", 173lbs and ski the 177cm length for comparison sake. I find that length extremely stable at speed on both groomed, pow and tracked out crud. They are snappy enough to ski them good through the bumps (outside of Rock solid, glacial bumps). I'm not as tall as you are, but I would say that you can't really go wrong with the Pinnacle 95. They do not require excess length to charge any type of terrain, the long length will drive a larger radius turn from them so if anything, you may find that length to not be as snappy in tight turns.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

I find 185 is a good length for everything. Shorter is easier in the tight trees though. My 191's are big powder boards but have no trouble on groomers..just not solid ice. Long skis on groomers work great..see how long race skis are.
    I've read very good things about the Head Kore line. I bought the 117's in 191 length . The 93 width got very good reviews for all conditions.

Lets go!
    I'll drive.

Quote Originally Posted by kingslug View Post
    I find 185 is a good length for everything. Shorter is easier in the tight trees though. My 191's are big powder boards but have no trouble on groomers..just not solid ice. Long skis on groomers work great..see how long race skis are.
    I've read very good things about the Head Kore line. I bought the 117's in 191 length . The 93 width got very good reviews for all conditions.
    Not everyone is Lindsey Vonn. Shes playing a different groomer game than anyone here. Traditional wisdom dictates shorter skis for groomers and trees, longer for pow, blah, blah.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd View Post
    Not everyone is Lindsey Vonn. Shes playing a different groomer game than anyone here. Traditional wisdom dictates shorter skis for groomers and trees, longer for pow, blah, blah.
    With the width out there today and what they are building the ski cores with, no reason to go very long anymore for Pow. One size up from a skier's optimal length should be enough ski. Any more, they will get difficult to turn tightly and be even harder should the terrain require jump/pivot turning. Crazy long skis are only good if you intend to straightline Pow. And as for race skis, only in DH, which his minimal turning compared to all other disciplines, are long skis still used. GS skis are not that long anymore and depending on the Super-G set, racers may elect to use a ski closer to a GS length than a DH. The days of having skis longer than you are tall have mostly faded into the past.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

When I was in Chile chasing around a friend of mine who is a racer. a 60 year old racer...he had his GS skis..I had my regular skis..could not keep up at all..not even close.
    In Jackson I had my big bazookas, everyone else had ..smaller ones..it dumped overnight..they sank..I cruised by.
    To each his own but I think bringing the right ski does have advantages.
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

slap them puppys on and have fun.

Who cares what length they are! If you're out on the hill, regardless of how groomed or steep it is, having fun with your wife, that's a great day!

In the future, if those days turn into on the hill with your wife and kid(s) that's an even better day that won't have you thinking at all about how long or short your skis are, their flex pattern, turn radius, tip width, rocker (or not), etc, etc, etc
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days '07-'19 seasons: 612 Days

'19 - '20 season:

November: 16.17,23,29,30 (Mount Snow)
    December: 1,7,14,15 (Mount Snow)

Thread Information