Did I buy the wrong skis?? - Page 4

AlpineZone

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 56
  1. #31
    kingslug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Stamford Ct and Stowe
    Posts
    4,555
    I discovered one thing about big fat skis in the bumps..the good bumps not the ice mounds..you can just glide over them as if they aren't there..

    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

  2. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by kingslug View Post
    I discovered one thing about big fat skis in the bumps..the good bumps not the ice mounds..you can just glide over them as if they aren't there..
    You mentioned this last year and pretty much everyone disagreed with you. I still dont get it. "Big fat skis" are terrible in moguls. They're pretty much the opposite of what you want. The best mogul skis are relatively short, and have a very tiny waist underfoot.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC



  3. #33
    kingslug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Stamford Ct and Stowe
    Posts
    4,555
    Well..have they ever tried it? So lets say your in Jackson cruising around on a powder day on you fat boards and come across a huge mogul field..Jackson has tons of them. What do you do? I cruise right through them. Regardless of that fact that everyone says it can't be done. I do it all the time out there. Are you doing them "the correct way"..whatever that is..no. But it works for me and is a lot less work. At Stowe last year when it dumped a person I was skiing with who was a very good bump skier said " you dont turn much" Well I don't have to today.
    A lot of people out west use these fat skis ALL the time. They get through everything no problem..I ski with them a lot..and they are pretty damn good. I'm just happy to keep up with them. Its where I learned to ski this stuff.The East is different..super hardpack and ice moguls do not like fat boards at all.
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

  4. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    You mentioned this last year and pretty much everyone disagreed with you. I still dont get it. "Big fat skis" are terrible in moguls. They're pretty much the opposite of what you want. The best mogul skis are relatively short, and have a very tiny waist underfoot.
    Couldn't agree more. My absolute favorite bumps skis are the ancient ("straight") K2 KV Comps with 63mm waist. They are 185cm and I'm 5'6". The skis are light and super easy to turn in bumps. Alas, my legs are not what they used to be and 4 or 5 bump runs just simply burn up my quads ( yeah, I'm old).
    My "regular" everyday skis are 80mm in the waist and although I can take them through a nice mogul field just fine, they are nowhere as fun as the KV comps.
    Live for today

  5. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by kingslug View Post
    Well..have they ever tried it? So lets say your in Jackson cruising around on a powder day on you fat boards and come across a huge mogul field...... I cruise right through them. Regardless of that fact that everyone says it can't be done. I do it all the time out there......a person I was skiing with who was a very good bump skier said " you dont turn much" Well I don't have to today.
    I dont even physically understand this.

    It seems that you are saying that on fat powder boards you are essentially straight-lining huge mogul fields?

    The only thing I can think of when this could be possible is if it's such a powder day that what you are calling "mogul fields" really arent mogul fields.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC



  6. #36
    You ask for advice but, once given you get all bent out of shape. Call me a keyboard warrior yet you are the one calling me a motherfucker. Actually I am married and my lifestyle is working out pretty well. My skiing has increased. Maybe you are the one that made a mistake getting married if your lifestyle had to change so much. Maybe you could have her take a lesson. With how short tempered you are, it's unlikely helping you wife with her skiing will lead to anything good. And yes if you are asking stupid questions like this then you obviously aren't as good as you think you are.

    Quote Originally Posted by beefstew177 View Post
    Thanks for your opinion guy, it sounds like you're a real nice dude. Besides, I skied out of the womb mf, I don't need the approval of a keyboard warrior with no friends. Also, when you get married one day, you might understand that your lifestyle has to change if you're expecting it to work out- not that you'll ever be tolerable enough for someone to be interested in you....I digress

  7. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by kingslug View Post
    Well..have they ever tried it? So lets say your in Jackson cruising around on a powder day on you fat boards and come across a huge mogul field..Jackson has tons of them. What do you do? I cruise right through them. Regardless of that fact that everyone says it can't be done. I do it all the time out there. Are you doing them "the correct way"..whatever that is..no. But it works for me and is a lot less work. At Stowe last year when it dumped a person I was skiing with who was a very good bump skier said " you dont turn much" Well I don't have to today.
    A lot of people out west use these fat skis ALL the time. They get through everything no problem..I ski with them a lot..and they are pretty damn good. I'm just happy to keep up with them. Its where I learned to ski this stuff.The East is different..super hardpack and ice moguls do not like fat boards at all.
    Agree!

    Granted I'm not seeking out too many bump runs on a true powder day, but for sure, on a warm, spring bump day, I'm 100% on my powder boards, and me and my Blizzard Cochise's are happy campers.

    Now, if we were to talk about "firm" mid winter and/or post freeze up with just a light coating of fresh snow on them bumps, I'd want nothing to do with my powder boards and those types of bumps
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days '07-'19 seasons: 612 Days

    '19 - '20 season:

    November: 16.17,23,29,30 (Mount Snow)
    December: 1,7 (Mount Snow)

  8. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirbannedalot View Post
    You ask for advice but, once given you get all bent out of shape. Call me a keyboard warrior yet you are the one calling me a motherfucker. Actually I am married and my lifestyle is working out pretty well. My skiing has increased. Maybe you are the one that made a mistake getting married if your lifestyle had to change so much. Maybe you could have her take a lesson. With how short tempered you are, it's unlikely helping you wife with her skiing will lead to anything good. And yes if you are asking stupid questions like this then you obviously aren't as good as you think you are.

    Wow, you really seem to be a douche!

  9. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    I dont even physically understand this.

    It seems that you are saying that on fat powder boards you are essentially straight-lining huge mogul fields?

    The only thing I can think of when this could be possible is if it's such a powder day that what you are calling "mogul fields" really arent mogul fields.
    I could be wrong but I think Kingslug is referring to one of the basically 3 ways I'm aware of to ski moguls.

    1) zipper line, narrow flexy skis are best
    2) slip-zip, basically still using the troughs but also turn/skidding over the top of the bump. Works best in spring or soft snow, any ski will do.
    3) skiing moguls as if it's a GS run which involves bigger turns and skiing over the tops of a couple bumps between turns, and variably turning in the trough or over the top of a bump depending on your turn arc. This isn't something you want to do on a <><> run on an icy day..

    I ski bumps all 3 ways depending on the conditions and my intentions, using the same skis (90mm Atomics for the last few years). But conditions and terrain dictate this a lot more than my absolute free will in the situation.

    My guess is Kingslug didn't start utilizing technique #3 until getting powder boards (which will aid in stability as such).

  10. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by bdfreetuna View Post
    I could be wrong but I think Kingslug is referring to one of the basically 3 ways I'm aware of to ski moguls.

    1) zipper line, narrow flexy skis are best
    2) slip-zip, basically still using the troughs but also turn/skidding over the top of the bump. Works best in spring or soft snow, any ski will do.
    3) skiing moguls as if it's a GS run which involves bigger turns and skiing over the tops of a couple bumps between turns, and variably turning in the trough or over the top of a bump depending on your turn arc. This isn't something you want to do on a <><> run on an icy day..

    I ski bumps all 3 ways depending on the conditions and my intentions, using the same skis (90mm Atomics for the last few years). But conditions and terrain dictate this a lot more than my absolute free will in the situation.

    My guess is Kingslug didn't start utilizing technique #3 until getting powder boards (which will aid in stability as such).
    You can add carve 1 turn per mogul on the shoulder, skarve closer in but not slipping the back face. Infinite variations of all those. Wide range of personal styles and stance. Constantly changing bump shape, spacing, trough depth and bump length. Wide range of snow conditions. Add up all the permutations, and it amazes me that anyone thinks "This ski is good for the bumps" or "This technique works in the bumps" as if there's one ski or one technique. The thing that works best in the bumps is versatility.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 2:30 PM.