• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Did I buy the wrong skis??

beefstew177

Im an expert skier, who spends most of his time skiing with his beginner wife...so mostly groomers for me, but there are some pow days here and there, and I like skiing the glades at Sugarloaf and Sunday River....

So I wanted an all mountain ski. After extensive research and trying a few skis out last year, I decided on the 2018 K2 pinnacle ti 95...191cm. and when they arrived, they seemed long. They definitely are taller than me. I'm 6'2, 210 lbs on a good day, and so I debated back and fourth on the 184 and 191...but ultimately decided 191.

I'm nervous that I was overzealous and purchased more ski than I actually need..am I going to wish I went with the 184? I haven't mounted bindings yet cause I'm not sure if I'm gonna try and sell them. On one hand, the 191 gives me the flexibility to hard charge down some backside--but I don't want to feel clumsy or out of place on the groomers with my wife. What should I do??

cdskier

What were you skiing previously? What lengths were the skis you tried out last year?

I don't necessarily think it is too long. I ski a 177 as my primary ski and am 5'8. So the difference between our heights and ski lengths is about the same. Of course there are many other factors than just height.

beefstew177

The past few years I've been on blizzards which were 180-- pretty snappy skis but borderline too short and beat to sh*t...and I tried out line and rossignol last year which were in the 180 range as well. The 191s are definitely the longest I've had. When I purchase (online) them I felt like I was making the right call, but when they arrived they were longer than expected. I have looked at some other 190's and they didn't feel as big. The pinnacles are relatively light so I'm hoping I still feel as nimble as before. I usually buy new then sell the old ones, but maybe I should just start a collection so I can select the right one for the day

What were you skiing previously? What lengths were the skis you tried out last year?

I don't necessarily think it is too long. I ski a 177 as my primary ski and am 5'8. So the difference between our heights and ski lengths is about the same. Of course there are many other factors than just height.

Sirbannedalot

Dude definitely does not sound like an expert. Classic rookie mistake. Knew he was full of shit when he said I'm an expert but I spend most of my time on the groomers with the wife. What a joke. Even the 184 are too long for what you do.

WWF-VT

If you are asking the question then you probably did buy them too long

Last edited:

Edd

The past few years I've been on blizzards which were 180-- pretty snappy skis but borderline too short and beat to sh*t...and I tried out line and rossignol last year which were in the 180 range as well. The 191s are definitely the longest I've had. When I purchase (online) them I felt like I was making the right call, but when they arrived they were longer than expected. I have looked at some other 190's and they didn't feel as big. The pinnacles are relatively light so I'm hoping I still feel as nimble as before. I usually buy new then sell the old ones, but maybe I should just start a collection so I can select the right one for the day

Which Blizzards were they?

At this point, you may as well take out the 191s and hope for the best. It’s not hard to sell barely used skis on Craigslist during ski season if they aren’t working for you.

Your notion of having a quiver of skis is good. Very few people on this board use one pair of skis for all conditions.

For groomers, shorter skis are better.

beefstew177

Thanks for your opinion guy, it sounds like you're a real nice dude. Besides, I skied out of the womb mf, I don't need the approval of a keyboard warrior with no friends. Also, when you get married one day, you might understand that your lifestyle has to change if you're expecting it to work out- not that you'll ever be tolerable enough for someone to be interested in you....I digress

Dude definitely does not sound like an expert. Classic rookie mistake. Knew he was full of shit when he said I'm an expert but I spend most of my time on the groomers with the wife. What a joke. Even the 184 are too long for what you do.

beefstew177

They were 2014 brahmas. The 191s are definitely going bro be skiable--i just haven't ever owned them that long so I figured I'd ask while their still new for resale purposes. Thanks for the advice!

cdskier

If you are asking the question then you probably did buy them too long

I don't know. When I bought my Hell and Backs and first saw them after they were delivered I wondered the same thing. My cousin worked in the industry at the time and was very familiar with my skiing style and abilities and recommended the size though, so I trusted him when ordering them. After skiing them I was reassured and I have been happily using them for years now.

Edd

They were 2014 brahmas. The 191s are definitely going bro be skiable--i just haven't ever owned them that long so I figured I'd ask while their still new for resale purposes. Thanks for the advice!

If you were able to manhandle the Brahmas I’d say your chances are good of the enjoying the new skis. Brahmas are not noodles.

beefstew177

Sweet, thanks for the advice man. If they're too much I'll convince my Sasquatch of a friend to buy em from me hahah
Edd1026195 said:
If you were able to manhandle the Brahmas I’d say your chances are good of the enjoying the new skis. Brahmas are not noodles.

beefstew177

Exactly. After everyone I talked to I felt like the 191's wouldn't at all be too much ski, but holding them in hand gave me my doubts. I'm sure it'll feel weird at first but after a few runs I'll adjust... hopefully....

I don't know. When I bought my Hell and Backs and first saw them after they were delivered I wondered the same thing. My cousin worked in the industry at the time and was very familiar with my skiing style and abilities and recommended the size though, so I trusted him when ordering them. After skiing them I was reassured and I have been happily using them for years now.

BenedictGomez

After everyone I talked to I felt like the 191's wouldn't at all be too much ski

Keep in mind that in 2019 there are hoards of skiers skiing on skis that are too long.

Of the three potential cohorts of people:

1) Skis are too short
2) Skis are appropriately sized
3) Skis are too long

I would suggest that group #3 is shockingly large.

This is mainly due to the attitudes & beliefs about ski length in the pre-shaped era, which still persists today, even though it is no longer valid. Get enough people to believe something, and even though that something is false, it may durably last. You don't have to wait 30 minutes after eating to go swimming, and hair will not grow back thicker after shaving.

Last edited:

machski

First off, I love my Pinnacle 95's (so much, I bought a second pair and are waiting til I kill the first completely to mount them). I am 5'7", 173lbs and ski the 177cm length for comparison sake. I find that length extremely stable at speed on both groomed, pow and tracked out crud. They are snappy enough to ski them good through the bumps (outside of Rock solid, glacial bumps). I'm not as tall as you are, but I would say that you can't really go wrong with the Pinnacle 95. They do not require excess length to charge any type of terrain, the long length will drive a larger radius turn from them so if anything, you may find that length to not be as snappy in tight turns.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

kingslug

I find 185 is a good length for everything. Shorter is easier in the tight trees though. My 191's are big powder boards but have no trouble on groomers..just not solid ice. Long skis on groomers work great..see how long race skis are.
I've read very good things about the Head Kore line. I bought the 117's in 191 length . The 93 width got very good reviews for all conditions.

Edd

I find 185 is a good length for everything. Shorter is easier in the tight trees though. My 191's are big powder boards but have no trouble on groomers..just not solid ice. Long skis on groomers work great..see how long race skis are.
I've read very good things about the Head Kore line. I bought the 117's in 191 length . The 93 width got very good reviews for all conditions.

Not everyone is Lindsey Vonn. She’s playing a different groomer game than anyone here. Traditional wisdom dictates shorter skis for groomers and trees, longer for pow, blah, blah.

machski

Not everyone is Lindsey Vonn. She’s playing a different groomer game than anyone here. Traditional wisdom dictates shorter skis for groomers and trees, longer for pow, blah, blah.
With the width out there today and what they are building the ski cores with, no reason to go very long anymore for Pow. One size up from a skier's optimal length should be enough ski. Any more, they will get difficult to turn tightly and be even harder should the terrain require jump/pivot turning. Crazy long skis are only good if you intend to straightline Pow. And as for race skis, only in DH, which his minimal turning compared to all other disciplines, are long skis still used. GS skis are not that long anymore and depending on the Super-G set, racers may elect to use a ski closer to a GS length than a DH. The days of having skis longer than you are tall have mostly faded into the past.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

kingslug

When I was in Chile chasing around a friend of mine who is a racer. a 60 year old racer...he had his GS skis..I had my regular skis..could not keep up at all..not even close.
In Jackson I had my big bazookas, everyone else had ..smaller ones..it dumped overnight..they sank..I cruised by.
To each his own but I think bringing the right ski does have advantages.

drjeff

Who cares what length they are! If you're out on the hill, regardless of how groomed or steep it is, having fun with your wife, that's a great day!

In the future, if those days turn into on the hill with your wife and kid(s) that's an even better day that won't have you thinking at all about how long or short your skis are, their flex pattern, turn radius, tip width, rocker (or not), etc, etc, etc