• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Did I buy the wrong skis??

dblskifanatic

I don’t buy that.

The only time to go “short” is in the trees. On groomer, you can get away with skis “too long” or “too short” easily. Any “expert” should be able to easily adapt to any length of skis on the groomer.

Agree! Longer skis provide more edge and control! Once someone is used to the length then the trees are easy! I find trees to be like skiing moguls.

My wife used to ski skis that were 158 and eventually I had her ski a longer length which was 166. The result was significant improvement in her skiing as well as terrain she was able to ski. Last weekend. She used the 158s and she felt that they were a bit squirrelly.

Shorter skis are great for beginner IMO but once you are pretty confident longer lengths have a much better feel. I used to ski 178 and now ski 186.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

BenedictGomez

I could be wrong but I think Kingslug is referring to one of the basically 3 ways I'm aware of to ski moguls.

1) zipper line, narrow flexy skis are best

The way he's describing it with almost no turns can only be zipper-lining.

And fat powder boards would blow for zipper-lining huge mogul fields.

kingslug

skiing moguls as if it's a GS run which involves bigger turns and skiing over the tops of a couple bumps between turns, and variably turning in the trough or over the top of a bump depending on your turn arc. This isn't something you want to do on a <><> run on an icy day..

This pretty much. I find skiing every bump exhausting.

bdfreetuna

I don’t buy that.

The only time to go “short” is in the trees. On groomer, you can get away with skis “too long” or “too short” easily. Any “expert” should be able to easily adapt to any length of skis on the groomer.

Not sure about short + trees = better

I like stopping power in the trees. Like, extreme rapid, hockey-stop stopping power if needed. There's a few spots I can get hung up in with 185 cm skis but these are usually ridiculous shoots that almost nobody can really ski properly anyway.

And when you really need to hit the brakes on the luge track it's nice to have your tips and tails bite into the snow and brush on the sides. (or this can be a real b*tch if accidental)

It's pretty much whatever you're used to for your body type and style though. But for me ideal combo in trees seems to be a long rocker/camber ski that has rise on the tips and tails. Not talking exclusive pow days, then full rocker could be preferable and perhaps even greater length.

JimG.

Staff member
I find 185 is a good length for everything. Shorter is easier in the tight trees though. My 191's are big powder boards but have no trouble on groomers..just not solid ice. Long skis on groomers work great..see how long race skis are.
I've read very good things about the Head Kore line. I bought the 117's in 191 length . The 93 width got very good reviews for all conditions.

Bought a pair of Kore 93's today:

19-20.jpg

Pretty stoked to get them out on snow. 180cm nice and light seem perfect for front side. Debated with Keith at the Pro for a bit and decided to order a pair of Kore 105's as well for an eastern pow ski. Got those in 180cm also more for tree action on powder days.

Thought about the 117's and definitely would have bought those in the 191 length but realistically that's a western pow ski; the 105 is more suited to where I ski.

JDMRoma

Bought a pair of Kore 93's today:

View attachment 25510

Pretty stoked to get them out on snow. 180cm nice and light seem perfect for front side. Debated with Keith at the Pro for a bit and decided to order a pair of Kore 105's as well for an eastern pow ski. Got those in 180cm also more for tree action on powder days.

Thought about the 117's and definitely would have bought those in the 191 length but realistically that's a western pow ski; the 105 is more suited to where I ski.

Those are a fun ski ! Demo'd them and the Enforcer 93, both real good east coast skis !

big_vert

Dude definitely does not sound like an expert. Classic rookie mistake. Knew he was full of shit when he said I'm an expert but I spend most of my time on the groomers with the wife. What a joke. Even the 184 are too long for what you do.

Don't you know EVERYONE in the Northleast is an EXPERT. Until they go somewhere real and start crying for their mommies on anything beyond blew trails

JimG.

Staff member
Have heard nothing but good feedback on the 93's.

Very similar to my old Ramp Woodpeckers but even lighter in weight.

Very interested to get the 105's out on some accumulated snow.

BenedictGomez

In general, I'd say pound-for-pound eastern trails are more difficult than western trails.

It's the non-trail stuff & the hike-to stuff out west that's the hard terrain.

kingslug

Due to conditions our double D trails are harder to deal with. If trails like the upper front 4 at Stowe had a ton of snow on them they would be a hell of a lot easier. The vertical out west gets you. Birds of Prey at B Creek is usually top to bottom steep bumps and long as hell but in good condition..a run like that here would be murder.

asnowmobiler

Have heard nothing but good feedback on the 93's.

Very similar to my old Ramp Woodpeckers but even lighter in weight.

Very interested to get the 105's out on some accumulated snow.

I sold mine after very little use. I’m a big guy and I found them too weak for my weight and they felt sloppy.