• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What is the most challenging glade trail here in the East coast?

crank

I'm watching the video again and again. This is certainly highest threshold eastern terrain, and the accessibility is unrivaled. These chutes + castlerock are a real draw for me every spring. I like skiing this kind of stuff in corn snow and save my Sugarbush days for late season.

Simply beautiful terrain and a couple of these chutes are very difficult and technical. Somebody earlier mentioned not liking 5 MPH techy skiing. Sugarbush Paradise chutes are just before limit of where difficult starts to become un-fun. Everyone has a different bar... for me I'd say Pico's "Busted" crosses that line. But Paradise chutes are right up there with the most heavenly terrain I've ever skied, East West or anything.

Looks like it would be nice without all the ice.

I have the Ikon and plan to use all my Sugarbush days. I will look for these lines off of Paradise.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
I don't know, I only ski backcountry these days. Lots of hacking my way through thick brush. :razz:

Honestly though, many on map glades have been that way for the better part of a decade (or two) now. They have been manicured to perfection as there are barely any stray branches or saplings to get in the way. The challenge of skiing a lot of these glades isn't what it used to be.

And these types of questions, while spurring discussion are kind of silly since snow conditions play a HUGE part in how hard each glade skis.

PeepDude1

Not on map, but I'd put Ossipee chute at Wildcat up there with anything I've skied in the East. Steep as hell, very tight in spots, 8-10 footer with a sketchy landing. You can take your skis off and hike around it, but there's no way to ski around it. I've probably skied it ten times and only had the balls for the drop twice when the base was deep and plenty of fresh on top. Even without the drop, I haven't skied it in a couple of seasons. I haven't been in good enough shape the past couple of seasons to trust my skills in there.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app
Can't find any information on ossipee chute where about is it, want to ski it tommorow

ne_skier

Magic: Wardrobe has a couple steep technical sections, also whatever they call the woods to the skiers right of Red Line up top are pretty tight and steep with a nice optional rock drop. I'm sure at least a couple other woods zones there would qualify too.
Wardrobe is tough but manageable if you know where to go. Aside from the obvious ones (Enchanted Forest, Pixie Dust, White Kitten) I'd say that Disappearing act and Hallows are the easiest woods runs, the former isn't steep at all and the latter has a wider part similar to Twilight/Goniff towards the center. I have yet to ski Voodoo (Glade you described), and other than that, I'd have to say Warlock and White Tiger tie for the steepest there. Short, but they both have legitimately steep bits about halfway down similar to Green Line which they both border.

RiverRunner

Looks like it would be nice without all the ice.

I have the Ikon and plan to use all my Sugarbush days. I will look for these lines off
This kid did a great job on the video IMO. 5 of the different chutes between Paradise(Sugarbush) and Church. I always end up on Chute #3 when I'm trying to get to #4... I shall be better prepared next time!

Some questionable line choices and turn decisions in there.. seemed to head for the trees a few times.
Looks pretty enjoyable with the right turn choices.

raisingarizona

I don't know, I only ski backcountry these days. Lots of hacking my way through thick brush. :razz:

Honestly though, many on map glades have been that way for the better part of a decade (or two) now. They have been manicured to perfection as there are barely any stray branches or saplings to get in the way. The challenge of skiing a lot of these glades isn't what it used to be.

And these types of questions, while spurring discussion are kind of silly since snow conditions play a HUGE part in how hard each glade skis.
Stray branches and saplings doesn’t sound very cool to me, that just kind of sucks. Go faster if you want a challenge. Getting slapped in the face into close out lines is lame.