What is the most challenging glade trail here in the East coast? - Page 5

AlpineZone

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Then Slidebrook or Walts Woods or even Eden is where you'll find that - the other places that are steeper - well, been skiing them for years but their names tend to escape me - I'm sure others can add those that have long lines with less traversing. They just get skied out very quickly for that same reason.

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    Some of the stuff mentioned in here for being difficult kind of sound like they suck. I prefer flow for skiing trees, not that weird two turns to close out to traverse to whatever. I guess that stuff is “hard” but is it really fun?
    I completely agree. Most of the terrain that I find fun is challenging, but the converse is often not true. Super tight glades where it's hard to link up turns, or steep icy glades with luge tracks can each be extremely difficult, but generally aren't fun to me. I prefer flow too. I want to be able to safely link together a bunch of turns. I've found that many of the tight, steep glades in the East are really fun right after a storm (but less challenging), but become less fun very quickly as they get tracked out (though they become more challenging).

To me at least, both skiing in the East and West presents many challenges, but the challenge out West is generally a lot more fun. It might look cooler in a TGR video to see someone making jump turns down a steep couloir, but I would argue that it's probably almost as challenging to make turns down an extremely tight, steep glade here in the East after it's been tracked out and it's icy/a luge track.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyr View Post
    Btw I believe the out of bounds glades that you are referring off to the skiers right of the gondola at Stowe is called the kitchen wall. I wanted to ski it last year but the glades were too icy the days I was up there. It's on my list to try this season though!

Sent from my SM-T820 using AlpineZone mobile app
    kitchen wall is not immediately skier's right of the gondola line. its further right. its the area between the forerunner pod and the gondola pod. you'll notice that the trail map has the yellow boundary line a bit above rim rock and cliff trail - that is the kitchen wall.

the woods to skier's right of the gondola (basically between perry merrill and cliff trail) are essentially too tight to ski. i've gone in there and had a bad time.

Kitchen wall is not really hard though unless it's icy, it's mainly a scenic traverse and then after the traverse it's very similar to Valhalla at Jay but not as long.

There's many more difficult things at Stowe, among them Tomba's chute, which has both a steep luge track up top and an actual steep chute at the bottom which requires jump turns or at least very high level skiing. Don't suggest attempting on icy or bad snow days. The bottom chute is similar in difficulty to Pump House at Jay IMO, although not lasting as long. My photo absolutely does not do it justice.

top-ish
    Tombas0.jpg
    middle luge track
    Tombas1.jpg
    bottom chute aka Big Tomba
    Tombas2.jpg

Here's one at Cannon. Something off the summit. Not "Wicked Haaarrd" which is definitely harder and steeper but I didn't take a photo.

(and yes that line was as good as it looks)

Attachment 25471
    Last edited by bdfreetuna; Oct 23, 2019 at 1:16 PM.

This guys makes Exterminator Woods at Mt Ellen look easy....

Quote Originally Posted by WWF-VT View Post

I wish I could ski tight glades that well...

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    I wish I could ski tight glades that well...
    Me too. Those conditions are nice but I think fear alone would screw me. Id go for much sharper turns to slow me down.

Quote Originally Posted by WWF-VT View Post

Definitely not his first time in there...knew all the turns.

Quote Originally Posted by tumbler View Post
    Definitely not his first time in there...knew all the turns.
    That guy in the video is multiple time D1 All American skier. He got down in under 2 minutes which is pretty incredible.

Sent from my SM-T820 using AlpineZone mobile app

Thread Information