What is the most challenging glade trail here in the East coast?

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

What is the most challenging glade trail here in the East coast?

I just started skiing glades this past season and love the extra challenge of trees in the way. I was wondering what the most challenging glades are from the experts here in the Northeast. I've skied close to all the marked glades at Killington, Jay, Stowe, and Sugarbush along with some unmarked stuff which was mostly at Stowe. I've found the trees to the skiers left off of Paradise at Sugarbush to be the most challenging followed by the trees off either side of Bypass at Stowe. In any event I was wondering what is considered the toughest glade run in the east?

Tony

So I guess stuff like the woods between Paradise and Church that is not exactly on the map but well known enough counts. Stuff like Cannon's Bear Gut or MRG 3 Cliffs etc which aren't on maps and involve mandatory cliff drops I'll leave off the list because then we can just start listing biggest cliff drops and that's kind of another scenario. Backcountry that requires a walk / shuttle I'll leave out too

In no particular order...

Cannon + Jay: Wicked Haaard (on map), lower 1/2 of the trail is a narrow staircase reminds me of the top of Everglade/Staircase at Jay except goes on longer and you probably have less powdery snow. Never had a chance to ski Kinsman Glade I hear that's got a pretty steep section, but others say it's overrated. Back to Jay, anything off the top of the tram/ridge/chutes would qualify.

Bolton Valley: Devils Playground has a few chutes with some tight turns and very steep for a relatively short section. Lost Girlz (to the left past the entrance of Lost Boyz) is very difficult to actually ski due to steep/tight factor but not super long. The most extreme thing at Bolton is Centerline chute but I'm breaking my own rules with that one..

Smuggs: Woods next to Freefall and Black Hole should qualify easily

Killington: Bottom of Julio is steep and rocky but otherwise not too much on that level, maybe Devil's Den

Magic: Wardrobe has a couple steep technical sections, also whatever they call the woods to the skiers right of Red Line up top are pretty tight and steep with a nice optional rock drop. I'm sure at least a couple other woods zones there would qualify too.

Stowe, you already know the unmarked stuff, it's easy to find and well mapped(unofficially). I find woods right off Chin Clip (well before Angel Food starts) to be pretty narrow and gnarly. Tomba's Chute is pretty steep for a bit at the bottom, nice warm up run.

Pico: Busted is right next to Poma Line and might even be the hardest one on this list. It's pretty ridiculous and beyond narrow.

Whiteface: Do you call The Slides a "glade"? Some are more than others. Never had the chance to ski them myself.

Sugarloaf: There's some shots off the backside snowfields that qualify as Eastern extreme, or practically define that term. Good luck figuring your way in and out of there.

Mad River Glen: Paradise and especially anything unmarked beyond Paradise. I'd also say there's a couple shorter shots off the double chair that would be worth checking out.

For #1 the surprise winner is "BEAST" at Berkshire East. Pretty darn steep and narrow but the kicker is, you're guaranteed to absolutely shred your skis on rocks even if they have for some rare reason dropped the rope.
    Last edited by bdfreetuna; Oct 19, 2019 at 12:40 PM.

I think off-the-map should not be discussed. Off-the-map, you can find things that are uber-challenging. I think there's some crazy stuff at Stowe that you don't know about.

For on-the-map tough glades, I have to vote for Killington: Julio, Anarchy, Growler and Centerpiece are all difficult classics.

Quote Originally Posted by p_levert View Post
    Julio, Anarchy, Growler and Centerpiece are all difficult classics.
    Reminding me of last season getting first tracks on Julio and Anarchy on a 30" powder day. Difficult was the last word that would have come to mind. I felt like Kirby in Dreamland

Yes I have skied all of those runs at Killington. The Bear mountain glades and especially Anarchy & Julio are outstanding trails. I think Killington is so underrated as far as their glades go. I had just as much fun in the trees at Killington as I did anywhere else.
    Last edited by Tonyr; Oct 19, 2019 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bdfreetuna View Post
    So I guess stuff like the woods between Paradise and Church that is not exactly on the map but well known enough counts. Stuff like Cannon's Bear Gut or MRG 3 Cliffs etc which aren't on maps and involve mandatory cliff drops I'll leave off the list because then we can just start listing biggest cliff drops and that's kind of another scenario. Backcountry that requires a walk / shuttle I'll leave out too

In no particular order...

Cannon + Jay: Wicked Haaard (on map), lower 1/2 of the trail is a narrow staircase reminds me of the top of Everglade/Staircase at Jay except goes on longer and you probably have less powdery snow. Never had a chance to ski Kinsman Glade I hear that's got a pretty steep section, but others say it's overrated. Back to Jay, anything off the top of the tram/ridge/chutes would qualify.

Bolton Valley: Devils Playground has a few chutes with some tight turns and very steep for a relatively short section. Lost Girlz (to the left past the entrance of Lost Boyz) is very difficult to actually ski due to steep/tight factor but not super long. The most extreme thing at Bolton is Centerline chute but I'm breaking my own rules with that one..

Smuggs: Woods next to Freefall and Black Hole should qualify easily

Killington: Bottom of Julio is steep and rocky but otherwise not too much on that level, maybe Devil's Den

Magic: Wardrobe has a couple steep technical sections, also whatever they call the woods to the skiers right of Red Line up top are pretty tight and steep with a nice optional rock drop. I'm sure at least a couple other woods zones there would qualify too.

Stowe, you already know the unmarked stuff, it's easy to find and well mapped(unofficially). I find woods right off Chin Clip (well before Angel Food starts) to be pretty narrow and gnarly. Tomba's Chute is pretty steep for a bit at the bottom, nice warm up run.

Pico: Busted is right next to Poma Line and might even be the hardest one on this list. It's pretty ridiculous and beyond narrow.

Whiteface: Do you call The Slides a "glade"? Some are more than others. Never had the chance to ski them myself.

Sugarloaf: There's some shots off the backside snowfields that qualify as Eastern extreme, or practically define that term. Good luck figuring your way in and out of there.

Mad River Glen: Paradise and especially anything unmarked beyond Paradise. I'd also say there's a couple shorter shots off the double chair that would be worth checking out.

For #1 the surprise winner is "BEAST" at Berkshire East. Pretty darn steep and narrow but the kicker is, you're guaranteed to absolutely shred your skis on rocks even if they have for some rare reason dropped the rope.
    Thanks for the great insight! I plan on skiing MRG this year and have heard not to go to far off into the woods on the Paradise trail as there as some pretty big cliff drops out of bounds.
    Last edited by Tonyr; Oct 19, 2019 at 1:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by p_levert View Post
    I think off-the-map should not be discussed. Off-the-map, you can find things that are uber-challenging. I think there's some crazy stuff at Stowe that you don't know about.

For on-the-map tough glades, I have to vote for Killington: Julio, Anarchy, Growler and Centerpiece are all difficult classics.
    Julio is my favorite trail at Killington. I thought Centerpiece was the most challenging.

Recommend doing the woods off Upper Antelope at MRG before going past Paradise. 19th/20th hole. After a couple turns up top there's a pretty obvious entrance. Top is very narrow singletrack and bermy, then there's a few open steeper sections, then you head back left toward Lower Antelope and go straight across that trail through more short woods right to the lift.

See where it says "Top of UFO Bowl" ? good zone

MR Corp Land.jpg

No one tends to like putting these in, but SR has some great glades that are difficult on map. HardBall and Chutzpah off Whitecap are fun with multiple lines, some of which require mandatory air. Poppy fields are tight lines, the routes furthest to the right are the best. Tight, narrow lines, reminds me of some woods at Jay. Blind Ambition, if you enter on the double diamond entrance is tight and steep at points as well.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Beast is ridiculous. I climbed up and out of it going nope nope nope nope and Im not exactly a terrible skier.

Berkshire East does have some fun more mellow trees though...getting older I find myself enjoying stuff like the trees off green line and the Hallows at Magic, beaver pond at Jay etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information