• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Your 2019-2020 Season Thread

thetrailboss

Staff member
It is starting back up! You all know the drill (and yes, it is starting!)

1. October 22, 2019: Brighton, Utah

Last edited:

KustyTheKlown

good for you dude. super jealous of my western friends bagging early season turns.

i've been meaning to @ you to ask about snowbasin. we are going to utah feb 7-16. one day at deer valley, four at alta/bird, two at sol/bright. we're ikon blacked out the last few days, and reserved a (wildly inexpensive) condo in eden, and are planning on powmow for 2 days, hopefully with a couple cat runs.

question(s) for you - what is the story with the powmow $20 per run cat skiing? and should we be sacrificing one powmow day for snowbasin?

thetrailboss

Staff member
good for you dude. super jealous of my western friends bagging early season turns.

i've been meaning to @ you to ask about snowbasin. we are going to utah feb 7-16. one day at deer valley, four at alta/bird, two at sol/bright. we're ikon blacked out the last few days, and reserved a (wildly inexpensive) condo in eden, and are planning on powmow for 2 days, hopefully with a couple cat runs.

question(s) for you - what is the story with the powmow $20 per run cat skiing? and should we be sacrificing one powmow day for snowbasin?

Happy to help.

Sounds like a great trip lined up there. Hopefully you can move those days around based on weather and conditions. You don't want to be at Snowbird if there is low cloud cover and/or a lot of wind. It's pretty exposed.

Snowbasin is a legit area for sure. Weird vibe though--elegant, LDS corporate type resort meets gritty local Ogden crowd. It will be busier this season now that it is Epic. The biggest thing there? Windholds. Yep, windholds. If it is breezy at all they close Strawberry Gondola down (and often close it "earlier than scheduled" for some reason). If I had to guess it is probably a money-saving thing. That is a HUGE part of the area that you can't get to if it is closed and that really sucks. They also will close the Allen Peak Tram as well if there is wind. So if it is fully-open and you like good, steep cruisers, nice facilities, low-key vibe, not many folks, and a good variety of terrain, then yes it is worth it. The main runs feel very similar to the skiing on the Mansfield side of Stowe IMHO.

As for Pow Mow, it is indeed worth it to visit now before it gets more effed up. Some funny money in control there and they are slowly making it their own exclusive retreat. But, surprisingly, it does NOT get as much snow as the Wasatch Front. People do rave about the cat skiing options. That is legit, but I have not yet had the privilege as it is hard to leave my haunts down here (ridiculous excuse I know).

Nordic Valley will be right in your backyard in Eden and is nothing really to write home about. Pretty ghetto lifts, small vert, low elevation, but a crazy amount of high-tech snowmaking. Good for a night, maybe (?). I skied there years ago to say I did. It is what it is.

Feel free to PM me for more info.

KustyTheKlown

awesome, thanks. we're locked in on dates due to lodging situations. day 1 deer valley, days 2-5 altabird (staying at snowbird lodge - PLEASE NUKE SNOW AND CLOSE THE CANYON), days 6-7 at sol-bright (airbnb 5 min away), days 8-9 in eden

thetrailboss

Staff member
It is starting back up! You all know the drill (and yes, it is starting!)

1. October 22, 2019: Brighton, Utah

2. October 31, 2019: Brighton, Utah

Last edited:

10/31 ABasin, Day 1, 13th month
Bluebird Sunny 25 degrees, packed powder. 2 trails, some bumps.

mikec142

Man am I jealous of all you early birds. My season is still in the pre-season phase. Got the skis tuned. Putting the snow tires on the car this Friday and probably throwing the ski rack on the car this weekend.

Ol Dirty Noodle

11/10 - Killington
11/17 - Hunter
11/24 - Hunter - surprise pow day
11/29 - Gore
11/30 - Gore
12/03 - Belleayre - POWDAH BABY
12/08 - Belleayre
12/22 - Belleayre
01/05 - Belleayre
01/20 - Smuggs
01/21 - Smuggs
01/22 - Smuggs
01/23 - Smuggs
01/24 - Smuggs
01/25 - Smuggs
02/08 - Belleayre
02/15 - Belleayre
02/23 - Belleayre
02/27 - Killington
02/28 - Killington
02/29 - Gore
03/01 - Gore

Last edited:

KustyTheKlown

11.9 - killington

going to sunday river saturday and loon sunday

i love seeing the entire east firing up right now

sull1102

11/13 at Killington, at one point they had Superstar and the Snowdon Triple + 6 Pack spinning for testing I assume so it felt like midwinter.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

big_vert

You can walk in 5 minutes as far as the cat skiing. Complete rip-off. Compared to what you get (for $5!) at Keystone, it's really eye opening

Do not (repeat DO NOT) waste a day at Powmow if you could go to Snowbasin. The reason Powmow keeps snow is that it's flat with old, slow lifts, so no one (in their right minds) goes there when there's great areas around. Only issue with Snowbasin is that sometimes it gets clouds around the Strawberry gonjola, so pick your days(s) right.

Also be advised that Brighton is a real boarders hill with all of the negative connotations that conveys. Almost got hit (multiple times), A-holes with backpack speakers, just a real crap-show of why Alta is so pleasant.

Once you go to the Bird, you'll never be able to do least coast skiing again.

KustyTheKlown

cool. ive been to all the utah places many times except for powmow and snowbasin. i'm familiar with brighton. i dont mind snowboarders whatsoever. i like the sidecountry off of snake and great western. alta/snowbird is great but i'm cool with living in brooklyn and skiing the east as long as i get my 50 day seasons with 20+ in the west. having cake and eating it. etc.

big_vert

At Snowbasin there's only trails if you want them. You can stay off-piste virtually all day. Stay on either the John Paul chair (and the tin can up to the downhill start) or Strawberry gondola. AND, the lodges and food is worth stopping got lunch for.

Only bother with Powmow if you want to know what's overrated in Utah.

crazy

You can walk in 5 minutes as far as the cat skiing. Complete rip-off. Compared to what you get (for $5!) at Keystone, it's really eye opening

Do not (repeat DO NOT) waste a day at Powmow if you could go to Snowbasin. The reason Powmow keeps snow is that it's flat with old, slow lifts, so no one (in their right minds) goes there when there's great areas around. Only issue with Snowbasin is that sometimes it gets clouds around the Strawberry gonjola, so pick your days(s) right.

Also be advised that Brighton is a real boarders hill with all of the negative connotations that conveys. Almost got hit (multiple times), A-holes with backpack speakers, just a real crap-show of why Alta is so pleasant.

Once you go to the Bird, you'll never be able to do least coast skiing again.

I'm surprised to hear this. I have heard that Powmow preserves powder exceptionally well, and with the low skier density it was a place worth checking out.

Are the snow cat rides actually so short that you could hike the same terrain in 5 minutes or 10 minutes or some short amount of time?

Edd

cool. ive been to all the utah places many times except for powmow and snowbasin. i'm familiar with brighton. i dont mind snowboarders whatsoever.

Agreed. I thought Brighton was a blast. I’d love to try both Powmow and Snowbasin someday.

ERJ-145CA

I started my season today at Mountain Creek in Jersey. Originally they had said that they would open this weekend with a hike park but yesterday I got an email saying that they were spinning the Sugar Slope lift.

Since I have a season pass and it's down the road I had to go. It's an anomaly to ski in November, especially mid-November, in NJ so I couldn't pass it up. Sugar is the beginner trail at MC but I lapped it for an hour and a half, it was just great to start my season.20191116_103713.jpg20191116_102356.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using AlpineZone mobile app

Last edited: