• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Opening day in the northeast

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I'm putting my money on Monday the 5th season passholder opening at Killington. It looks like a marginal 12 hour window Friday night, another 12 hour window Saturday night, and a decent window Sunday night. The NOAA hourly forecast at 3,400ft is calling for a high of 36 on Sunday so it may very well be possible they can keep the guns running through the day. 5-6 years ago, even after the Nyberg era ended I would've said no way they keep the guns going in temps like that but with World Cup the philosophy has definitely changed and if they can make a frozen product they pump it out.

spiderpig

I thought Stowe confirmed Nov 22nd but was looking and can't seem to find that online... can anyone validate my shoddy memory? Have made the last 5-6 or and want to keep the streak alive. Remember Mt Snow was open on Halloween last year and it felt like full-on winter... did a maniac day trip from Jersey City to stretch the legs.

"Our scheduled opening day for this winter is November 22nd, weather permitting." https://twitter.com/StoweMtAlerts/status/1187388158129967109

skiur

I foresee sunday turns for passholders and a hard opening Monday.

crazy

I foresee sunday turns for passholders and a hard opening Monday.

It would be awesome if they opened on Sunday, even if it's just for passholders. I'm assuming that the Ikon pass doesn't count for passholders day? If it does I'll burn one just to start my season, if not I guess my season will start next weekend.

machski

It would be awesome if they opened on Sunday, even if it's just for passholders. I'm assuming that the Ikon pass doesn't count for passholders day? If it does I'll burn one just to start my season, if not I guess my season will start next weekend.
I believe they welcomed Ikon passholders last year for day 1 passholder day. If they do again, I will be there as temps in Bethel aren't forecast to fall anywhere near as fast or low.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
This is why I love the WROD...it makes zero sense. Driving 3+ hours (and burning a tank of gas $$$). To ski 1-2 poorly manicured trails.
And be completely sore after doing it for the next two days. To a normal individual...it makes zero sense... it's only for the diehards (and those with little self-control) :razz:

Zand

With the depth of cold coming next weekend, I think we'll be skiing as far south as wachusett on veterans day.

KustyTheKlown

hasn't killington already made BOGOs available by now in past seasons? i like using the bogos for my earliest season days instead of using much more valuable ikon days

bdfreetuna

hasn't killington already made BOGOs available by now in past seasons? i like using the bogos for my earliest season days instead of using much more valuable ikon days

You might want to hit up a Warren Miller show. The one I'm going to has an early season K 2for1, Sugarbush midweek pass, Smuggs early/late season pass, and Wachusett midweek early/late season.

I'm finding early season deals to be lacking this year and trying to make up for that.

kingslug

I used to ski half of Hellgate at Hunter ..then walk in the mud to the F lift just to get early turns in...
I won't do that now...
Early turns at Stowe though..thats good. When Lord is open you can get 40,000 vertical in.