• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Opening day in the northeast

Zand

Wachusett ski patrol is having their annual lift evacuation training on Sunday Nov 10th at 7am, so it is highly doubtful they will be opening.

Yup, pushed back to next Friday. Which is still great, 2 weeks before Thanksgiving. And based on the forecast for the next 8 days, I bet they open with Conifer, Ralphs, Challenger, and Indian Summer right from the get go and maybe 10th right behind them.

With them not opening this weekend, keeping my eyes up north. Would love it if SR or Loon opened for some good TTB runs instead of that clusterf*ck at Killington with either the stairs or one way down. Will also keep an eye on Mt Snow or Okemo, if they have good offerings and the price is right I'd consider it, but would prefer to stick to Ikon.

drjeff

Does anybody know if Okemo always had a hard opening date?
I think the other thing to consider is that *IF* Okemo now does have a hard opening date, that could easily be a sign that Vail Resorts has decided that Mount Snow will be their "prior to Thanksgiving Week" resort in VT that they're looking to have their early season options based out of

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

mbedle

I think the other thing to consider is that *IF* Okemo now does have a hard opening date, that could easily be a sign that Vail Resorts has decided that Mount Snow will be their "prior to Thanksgiving Week" resort in VT that they're looking to have their early season options based out of

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

That is what I was thinking.

KustyTheKlown

snowing nicely on the north ridge. looks like rain at the base. will change to all snow soon hopefully.

ghughes20

There's a solid window over the next 7 days for snow making, starting tonight. It would be disappointing if the big mountains don't fire up the guns. No reason why we shouldn't see all the majors open by the 23rd, with Killington expanding terrain immediately.

KustyTheKlown

There's a solid window over the next 7 days for snow making, starting tonight. It would be disappointing if the big mountains don't fire up the guns. No reason why we shouldn't see all the majors open by the 23rd, with Killington expanding terrain immediately.

yea k pretty much already said they intend to have great northern and upper east fall open this weekend. wouldn't be surprised if upper dipper gets added too. i will be surprised if lower east fall and the runout back to k-1 are open, but a boy can dream.

machski

Check your forecasts. Sunday has now gone outside optimal temp window, some regions of NE that spills into Monday as well. We are in a highly variable and fast moving pattern. Expect forecasts to waiver over the next week or two. There will be some good windows, but every time we get close to these big forecasted windows, they keep rectifying the wrong way.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

skiur

yea k pretty much already said they intend to have great northern and upper east fall open this weekend. wouldn't be surprised if upper dipper gets added too. i will be surprised if lower east fall and the runout back to k-1 are open, but a boy can dream.

Lower east fall and the runout are never the way K gets TTB, the route they take is down great northern around to lower bunny buster.

slatham

Snowing. Stratton CAMs show nice coating at top, dusting at mid and snow but no accumulation yet at base. Killington cams show it too. 10:50am.

urungus

Lower east fall and the runout are never the way K gets TTB, the route they take is down great northern around to lower bunny buster.

Isn’t Great Northern now separated from Bunny Buster with a tunnel ?

Zand

Looks like I'll open my season on a powder day at Sunday River the day after Veterans Day for the 2nd year in a row.

mister moose

Expect forecasts to waiver over the next week or two. There will be some good windows, but every time we get close to these big forecasted windows, they keep rectifying the wrong way.

Where I come from we call that a bad forecast, as in most forecasts.

Isn’t Great Northern now separated from Bunny Buster with a tunnel ?
GN is tunneled under upper Bunny, lower Bunny has no tunnels.

cdskier

Guess they don't realize Monday is a holiday...

I don't think I've ever worked for a company that recognized it as an official holiday. I never had that day off from school either as a kid (just checked and my town still has their public schools open on Monday).

Zand

Quite a bit of blowback on Facebook from them saying weekends only, and even lying about it being their historical operating schedule when it's not.