• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Opening day in the northeast

ghughes20

Looks like the shut down the guns on the lower half of the mountain as temps rise. Still going strong on the upper half. The next window is probably Tuesday - Thursday for Stratton. That said, they should have a strong open if they wait utill the 23rd.

VTKilarney

You can thank me for the snow on Tuesday. I’m flying into Lebanon, NH on Tuesday to get back for a very important meeting.

crazy

The storm on Tuesday will produce some decent snow for the far up Vermont resorts like Jay, Stowe, Smuggs, and Sugarbush, but the snow totals are going down everywhere else. Places like Cannon, Wildcat, and Sunday River will only see about 6 inches, which is down from what they were projected to get a couple of days ago.

But hey, any snow in November is good.

machski

The storm on Tuesday will produce some decent snow for the far up Vermont resorts like Jay, Stowe, Smuggs, and Sugarbush, but the snow totals are going down everywhere else. Places like Cannon, Wildcat, and Sunday River will only see about 6 inches, which is down from what they were projected to get a couple of days ago.

But hey, any snow in November is good.
Yeah, the problem is the front of the storm has a large warm air intrusion, backing in from the coast. Meaning ME and NH start wet, Spine of the Greens is mostly excluded from that crap for now. But with the amount of warm air nearby, a slight twitch of the track North or West and well......

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

drjeff

Jiminy Peak and even MOHAWK in CT are making snow!!
I can say with 100% certainty that Mount Southington in CT, didn't fire their system up last night. Guns in place, but only green grass and leaves on the hill when my kids and I stopped by to pick up our passes there earlier today..

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

dblskifanatic

yea k pretty much already said they intend to have great northern and upper east fall open this weekend. wouldn't be surprised if upper dipper gets added too. i will be surprised if lower east fall and the runout back to k-1 are open, but a boy can dream.

Still stairway skiing. We used to do the opening weekend at K town. The stairs were cool but then it got old day after day. We generally skied one day then waited for more terrain to open. Someone mentioned Ikon pass but who would use one of five days on north ridge. Nice to see that they are going balls to the wall on Superstar.

IMG_2830.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

KustyTheKlown

I went yesterday. It was ski down/walk up. Today is top to bottom. Walkway gone by 11/10 is pretty good.

Zand

I went yesterday. It was ski down/walk up. Today is top to bottom. Walkway gone by 11/10 is pretty good.

Probably helps that the races are theoretically a week later this year plus they know they have more prime snowmaking weather this week. Allowed them to divert more snowmaking to the regular terrain than they usually can. Killink looks very white on the webcam so hoping yhey can get Snowdon running and get a few natural trails into play Tuesday.

MikeDeJ

Mt Southington should be testing the system this week coming up, but in central CT the weather the week after looks warm with 50's most of the week. Will be a few more weeks for some turns in central CT.

machski

Probably helps that the races are theoretically a week later this year plus they know they have more prime snowmaking weather this week. Allowed them to divert more snowmaking to the regular terrain than they usually can. Killink looks very white on the webcam so hoping yhey can get Snowdon running and get a few natural trails into play Tuesday.
Divert what? Look at DBL's SS shot. It has been like that all weekend! They are diverting nothing from the race side.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

skiur

Mt Southington should be testing the system this week coming up, but in central CT the weather the week after looks warm with 50's most of the week. Will be a few more weeks for some turns in central CT.

Wasn't like that all weekend, there were no guns going on middle SS yesterday while they had great northern lit up.

Zand

Report says Downdraft Headwall is open. Also blowing on lower Ridge Run and the former Mouse Trap. Would be nice to have those Tuesday, very fun early season run.

machski

Wasn't like that all weekend, there were no guns going on middle SS yesterday while they had great northern lit up.
Perhaps, but do realize they had already laid down quite a bit on upper and middle SS to the top of Preston's in all the warmer windows. The flatter middle section probably needs less snowbase anyway than the steeper upper and lower. They may have been focused on lower yesterday with as many guns as possible since that only really got started last Thursday night or early Friday. The fact middle SS wasn't running doesn't mean they diverted assets to general trails.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app