• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Opening day in the northeast

Zand

Wildcat? Bretton Woods? Loon? Okemo? Unreal that we're getting 48+ hours of prime snowmaking (and many more next week), plus what looks like a decent storm on Tuesday and all that's going to be open for it in New England is f*cking Rime and Reason because we all know Killington isn't going to bother with Great Northern until Superstar is 10 feet deep.

FBGM

Wildcat? Bretton Woods? Loon? Okemo? Unreal that we're getting 48+ hours of prime snowmaking (and many more next week), plus what looks like a decent storm on Tuesday and all that's going to be open for it in New England is f*cking Rime and Reason because we all know Killington isn't going to bother with Great Northern until Superstar is 10 feet deep.

The 63 people that want to ski in the northeast this weekend don’t add much moneyz. Killy will have some options open. Rest will open with some good terrain for first weekend. Better to open a good product then rush some shit for no money

njdiver85

The 63 people that want to ski in the northeast this weekend don’t add much moneyz. Killy will have some options open. Rest will open with some good terrain for first weekend. Better to open a good product then rush some shit for no money

Agreed. And also amazed that FBGM is providing constructive feedback for once!

machski

Quite a bit of blowback on Facebook from them saying weekends only, and even lying about it being their historical operating schedule when it's not.
Yes, SR is full of crap. The old position was not full time until a good TTB route opened. That should happen by the end of this weekend, and probably two solid routes to boot. They were definitely open last Veteran's day and that was only 1 day on the calendar later. I will grant last year was an amazing Snovember, but they are spinning what history has been.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

machski

Huh?

I absolutely remember years in recent history that SR opened weekends only for the first week or two, even with a ttb route.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app
That TTB route was not a solid route below the midstation. They always push to get some thin ribbon down Punch as the download situation on the weekend is horrible at only every 10th chair and having to slow to load and unload those chairs. So yes, they have had a route down on the weekends, but not a solid one. Given what they should have after this weekend for route(s) down and how solid they are, no reason not to be open full time.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!

I agree it's been frustrating. I thought K going top-to-bottom was a given fro the weekend but it looks like they don't even plan on starting that process for a while. I want to go Tuesday if we can get a decent snow. They'll definitely have Upper GN, Downdraft, Reason/East Fall, and Rime, with Upper Double Dipper as probable. It's tough skiing the 500feet of North Ridge and doing the stairs while knowing Superstar is buried under more snow than the whole North Ridge area x10. Silver lining is if they get 6" of dense snow and some snowmaking blow over it's not entirely out of the question that Ridge Run or the intermediate portion of Catwalk could open with another 6" or so on Tuesday.

As much as World Cup is great for the hill financially/PR, and ski racing as a whole...it sucks til December 1. Then those extra compressors go to work and the $20k+ fan guns get buzzing on other parts of the hill and all is forgiven.

laxski

Actually 67 at Mt Snow for the weekend with 4 ...was gonna Ski but gonna enjoy some Mountain time...Chillin’ Hiking with the dog, fire in in the fireplace and drinking Good Beer!!!

Zand

Yes, SR is full of crap. The old position was not full time until a good TTB route opened. That should happen by the end of this weekend, and probably two solid routes to boot. They were definitely open last Veteran's day and that was only 1 day on the calendar later. I will grant last year was an amazing Snovember, but they are spinning what history has been.

Even last year when I was there on the 11/13 powder day (which turned to rain at noon, this one won't), the TTB wasn't great. I remember skiing to the bottom once and slamming into water bars on Lower Punch that you couldn't see because of the new snow. Skiable to the bottom for sure, but definitely just stuck to the midstation for most runs that day. They're going to get two nights of low teens with a day in the low 20s in the middle on Saturday. They can't possibly believe they're worse off than last year, other than they opened later this year.

If no one else announces an opening in the next week and Killington dicks around, Wachusett could be the first in New England to be TTB.

chuckstah

Loon claims to be running 300 guns on their semi-auto trails, and to expect an opening announcement soon. I'd guess not til next Friday, but you never know?

drjeff

Even last year when I was there on the 11/13 powder day (which turned to rain at noon, this one won't), the TTB wasn't great. I remember skiing to the bottom once and slamming into water bars on Lower Punch that you couldn't see because of the new snow. Skiable to the bottom for sure, but definitely just stuck to the midstation for most runs that day. They're going to get two nights of low teens with a day in the low 20s in the middle on Saturday. They can't possibly believe they're worse off than last year, other than they opened later this year.

If no one else announces an opening in the next week and Killington dicks around, Wachusett could be the first in New England to be TTB.
100% guarantee that Mount Snow will be T2B on multiple faces when they open next Friday

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

skiur

I agree it's been frustrating. I thought K going top-to-bottom was a given fro the weekend but it looks like they don't even plan on starting that process for a while. I want to go Tuesday if we can get a decent snow. They'll definitely have Upper GN, Downdraft, Reason/East Fall, and Rime, with Upper Double Dipper as probable. It's tough skiing the 500feet of North Ridge and doing the stairs while knowing Superstar is buried under more snow than the whole North Ridge area x10. Silver lining is if they get 6" of dense snow and some snowmaking blow over it's not entirely out of the question that Ridge Run or the intermediate portion of Catwalk could open with another 6" or so on Tuesday.

As much as World Cup is great for the hill financially/PR, and ski racing as a whole...it sucks til December 1. Then those extra compressors go to work and the $20k+ fan guns get buzzing on other parts of the hill and all is forgiven.

Pre world cup powder did one lift in 10 years of owning K, In the last three years they have done 2 lifts, retrofited the K1 gondola, are building a new lodge and have spent a ton of money on snowmaking equipment and pipe......While I agree it sucks we cant get top to bottom until after turkey day, I doubt any of that happens without the WC.

Zand

Wachusett has been blasting Indian Summer, Challenger, Ralphs, and Conifer since sunrise. Snow squall just blew through as well.

bdfreetuna

Well, I purchased a Mount Snow ticket on the 5th for the 14th. Turns out they won't be opening until the 15th (even though tickets were sold IRCC going all the way back to Nov 8 or 9).

Waiting on a call back. The refund policy on the online tickets is pretty strict but I can't imagine they won't swap me for a Friday (opening day) ticket.