Opening day in the northeast

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Opening day in the northeast

Getting impatient ... we are already 4 days past last year’s opening date at Killington (Oct 19). When do you think the first day of lift serviced skiing in the northeast will be ? This weekend doesn’t seem good, looks like it might get a little colder towards the end of next week, for a potential Friday Nov 1 pass holder opening / Saturday Nov 2 for general public. But could be close as snowmaking temps are forecast be marginal.

Quote Originally Posted by urungus View Post
    Getting impatient ... we are already 4 days past last year’s opening date at Killington (Oct 19). When do you think the first day of lift serviced skiing in the northeast will be ? This weekend doesn’t seem good, looks like it might get a little colder towards the end of next week, for a potential Friday Nov 1 pass holder opening / Saturday Nov 2 for general public. But could be close as snowmaking temps are forecast be marginal.

Next weekend at Killington. Marginal temps down low but they should be able to make something happen on Northridge

Both the Euro and GFS show cold coming in around Halloween. It looks like we'll be sliding by next weekend. Let me know when someone gets top-to-bottom
    2019-2020 2 days and counting...
    Killington: 11/15 Mount Snow: 11/27
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

I agree. Halloween looks like the start of the first real snowmaking window at Killington. I'm not sure if they do passholder-only openings on the weekends...if they do, I would guess Saturday (11/2) as the passholder-only day, and Sunday (11/3) as the first public day. Sunday River might be able to open on 11/3 too.

Right now we can see that the temperatures really start dropping after Halloween, but we'll have to wait and see what the temperatures look like afterward. If it warms up again, it's not going to be worth it for the resorts to spend the money to make snow.

Fingers crossed.

Hell Loveland isn't opening until Friday, so the fact that we haven't had a substantial cold snap in the east isn't so bad yet.

It is always fun to watch the race to open though!
    2019-2020

Ski Visits in PA 3
    Ski Visits in VT
    Ski Visits in CO

Total Ski Visits 3

Ski Roundtop
    11/16, 11/17, 11/23

The weekend of November 9/10 is when my hunch things get going for most, if not all the players in the early game. Killington and Sunday River might try and push it, a few days earlier, however, it seems like the pattern changes we REALLY need to get some decent cold air in, might be more like the 1st full week of November to get here...

We've been in this rut where on the 7 day things look like they'll be tuning cold 7-10 days out, and then as time plays out, it's just not happening. The middle of next week, is marginal at best right now as the 10 day appears, not sure if the storm coming through this weekend will be enough to get the pattern of the cold out West and the warm still in the East to switch enough to get some lift served by that 1st weekend in November...
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days '07-'19 seasons: 612 Days

'19 - '20 season:

November: 16.17,23,29,30 (Mount Snow)
    December: 1,7 (Mount Snow)

There needs to be a pattern changing storm. There are always is. Unfortunately it'll likely be a rain storm for the east coast, but then the cold will filter in.
    2019-2020

Ski Visits in PA 3
    Ski Visits in VT
    Ski Visits in CO

Total Ski Visits 3

Ski Roundtop
    11/16, 11/17, 11/23

Must.....ski.....soon......
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

Stowe
    Attached Images Attached Images