9% Tax Proposal on NH lift tickts - Page 10

AlpineZone

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnye View Post
    This is complete nonsense. Vermont has always been a hipster/outdoorsy/liberal place. Maybe not the entire state but definitely Burlington Vermont and other cities.
    Are you 24 years old?

I'm guessing so if you think Vermont has always been a liberal place, because you're dead wrong. It has become massively more liberal in the last 25 years, and "Burlington" in that timeframe has gone from liberal, to leftist.

Quote Originally Posted by gregnye View Post
    New Hampshire has always been a mixed bag in terms of politics--that's one thing I actually like about it. And it will always continue to be. No need to panic everyone.
    Again, you are dead wrong. As is your assumption that it will "always" continue to be so. Demographics change. There are Blue States that were once Red States & Red States that were once Blue States. And the political demographics affecting New Hampshire right now is that domestic immigration is heavily liberal voting, and it's showing-up in the data. Most of it from Massachusetts. My educated-opinion is that in 3 or 4 more presidential cycles, New Hampshire will no longer be a "Battleground State", but reliably safe Democrat.

Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    It's the demographic. There's nothing you can do about it.

Your "warning" to VT or NH is no better than telling beach loving New Josians winter is coming! It's coming whether they (you) like it or not.
    Yup.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    My educated-opinion is that in 3 or 4 more presidential cycles, New Hampshire will no longer be a "Battleground State", but reliably safe Democrat.
    You may be underestimating the scandals yet to come..

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Are you 24 years old?

I'm guessing so if you think Vermont has always been a liberal place, because you're dead wrong. It has become massively more liberal in the last 25 years, and "Burlington" in that timeframe has gone from liberal, to leftist.

Again, you are dead wrong. As is your assumption that it will "always" continue to be so. Demographics change. There are Blue States that were once Red States & Red States that were once Blue States. And the political demographics affecting New Hampshire right now is that domestic immigration is heavily liberal voting, and it's showing-up in the data. Most of it from Massachusetts. My educated-opinion is that in 3 or 4 more presidential cycles, New Hampshire will no longer be a "Battleground State", but reliably safe Democrat.

Yup.
    i Agree with what you are saying - VT was not a liberal cesspool as it is now when I was growing up. Even now there are 2 Vermonts. The redneck backwoods aboriginals and those that have moved in from CT, NY and NJ and made it what people think it is.

New Hampshire until the 90's was staunch Republican. Not southern jesus freak Republican but financially republican also LIVE FREE OR DIE wasn't just some random cute saying it was what our government lived by.
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days 2018/19 - 75 days

Tuna there is a difference between the US government controlling the education system (DOE) and wanting local control of public education. Local control is what is usually fought for not having no tax money going toward education.
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days 2018/19 - 75 days

Quote Originally Posted by Smellytele View Post
    Tuna there is a difference between the US government controlling the education system (DOE) and wanting local control of public education. Local control is what is usually fought for not having no tax money going toward education.
    That's a good point and perhaps I worded my position poorly, not that I care to scroll back and see what I actually wrote.

Local control, vouchers for alternative/private education (therefore removing tax penalty of non-participation in public-only)... yes... which means DOE isn't really necessary

Whatever gives parents the most choice and doesn't make them pay for other kids education on top of that. I'm not saying let's shutter the entire public school system. But I think it deserves much more robust competition and a fair playing field.

Parents >>> government in terms of making choices on behalf of their children

Quote Originally Posted by bdfreetuna View Post
    You never heard eliminating DOE proposed?
    I have a family member with 20 years in teaching in an urban school, tough kids. She says she has absolutely no use whatsoever for any Federal program that has come down the pike. They all end up requiring to teach to the test, more forms, more wasted time, and less constructive teaching time. It isn't an easy problem to solve, but central control from afar hasn't been making any progress. You can argue State vs local control, but at least get the Feds out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by bdfreetuna View Post
    I am considering sending my daughter a historically black private school (because it's nearby and meets our requirements). We are not a black family (not that skin color is real diversity anyway). These things really depend on the circumstances.

Boom. Serious insight there. That's what 'progressive' thinking should look like.

Benedicts point: 40 fucking years ago things were different!

No shit sherlock.

New Hampshire hasn't been a battleground state in decades.

That being said, no way this tax passes, nor will it moving forward. New Hampshire hasn't changed their tax structure in any meaningful way since the 60's.
    Last edited by AdironRider; Nov 6, 2019 at 2:01 PM.
    Live Free or Die
    137 days 08-09
    16 days 09-10

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Benedicts point: 40 fucking years ago things were different!

No shit sherlock.

New Hampshire hasn't been a battleground state in decades.
    2016 official results

348,526 for Killary
    345,790 for Trump
    30,777 for Gary "What is Aleppo?" Johnson

Doesn't get much closer than that. Furthermore we have this (which would have been enough to flip the election in 2016):
    https://patch.com/new-hampshire/conc...n-cast-nh-2016

Quote Originally Posted by mister moose View Post
    I have a family member with 20 years in teaching in an urban school, tough kids. She says she has absolutely no use whatsoever for any Federal program that has come down the pike. They all end up requiring to teach to the test, more forms, more wasted time, and less constructive teaching time. It isn't an easy problem to solve, but central control from afar hasn't been making any progress. You can argue State vs local control, but at least get the Feds out of it.

Boom. Serious insight there. That's what 'progressive' thinking should look like.

Not sure that’s real insight. A person’s skin color affects their experience growing up. They can act and sound like however they’re raised but the way others react to/treats them has a massive effect.

Sounds like the serious insight of a white guy.

i dated a black woman for three years. i liked to joke that she's the best black female skier in nyc, because she's just about the only one. she came from money, her family was basically royalty in the caribbean (st kitts and nevis). she went to private high school in NYC, not cheap. but her day to day experience in the world was informed by the color of her skin, and that is unavoidable. people make assumptions and its based on your appearance. being white is a privilege and allows us to move thru the world with relative impunity. dont forget it.

Thread Information