• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

9% Tax Proposal on NH lift tickts

Status
Not open for further replies.

mister moose

Not sure that’s real insight. A person’s skin color affects their experience growing up. They can act and sound like however they’re raised but the way others react to/treats them has a massive effect.

Sounds like the serious insight of a white guy.

I didn't say anything about other people's experience. Some fit your description. Some don't. I agreed with bdfreetuna'a comment "not that skin color is real diversity anyway" .

Skin color in and of itself is not real diversity. Experience, character, ability, background is diversity. To assume that race alone creates diversity is.... what? A judgement based on race alone?

I have lived in a black society overseas. There are countries that never experienced black slavery, and do not have that as a cultural relic. There is more diversity in the world than your limited view encompasses.

Are you assuming all folks of a given race grew up in the same neighborhood, in the same country, in the same culture, and were treated in the same way? I think we can evolve past that at some point. Judging someone based on the content of their character, rather than the color of their skin has meaning in every direction, not just one. And it is a worthy goal.

Edd

I didn't say anything about other people's experience. Some fit your description. Some don't. I agreed with bdfreetuna'a comment "not that skin color is real diversity anyway" .

Skin color in and of itself is not real diversity. Experience, character, ability, background is diversity. To assume that race alone creates diversity is.... what? A judgement based on race alone?

I have lived in a black society overseas. There are countries that never experienced black slavery, and do not have that as a cultural relic. There is more diversity in the world than your limited view encompasses.

Are you assuming all folks of a given race grew up in the same neighborhood, in the same country, in the same culture, and were treated in the same way? I think we can evolve past that at some point. Judging someone based on the content of their character, rather than the color of their skin has meaning in every direction, not just one. And it is a worthy goal.

In this country, skin color is real diversity based on how they are treated. Meaning, a person of color could grow up wealthy, and even that wouldn’t matter because of how they are regarded by others based simply on skin color. That matters.

JimG.

Staff member
In this country, skin color is real diversity based on how they are treated. Meaning, a person of color could grow up wealthy, and even that wouldn’t matter because of how they are regarded by others based simply on skin color. That matters.

My wife is Jamaican. She would very much agree with you.

When I mentioned diversity I did not mean to imply race either. I was referring more to things like social circumstances and culture. Also things like academic circumstances. Our high school has a close relationship with BOCES so there are technical and apprenticeship programs for kids who aren't planning to go to college.

Last edited:

Orca

Maybe you guys need a racial commentary thread. This got pretty far from the 9% tax.

Regarding the tax, it steals income from the ski areas by artificially inflating the cost of a day skiing. I might decide to ski a day at, say, $109. As a customer it is $109 whether it splits $100 to the ski area and $9 to the state, or if all $109 goes to the ski area, or for that matter if $59 goes to the ski area and $50 goes to the state. Why is burdening ski areas with an increased product cost that incrementally drives away business a good thing?

bdfreetuna

Let's say you have a group of a dozen cashiers at a grocery store. Everyone is a different skin color, some dark, others light, everything in between.

Everyone in this group will have hundreds of different interactions over the course of a day, ringing up groceries from people of all different racial backgrounds as well.

Seriously tell me that people who have darker skin will be treated more poorly throughout the day and experience discrimination, versus those that are white.

No, it all depends on people's behavior and attitude, what kind of interaction they will have.

It's also interesting that JimG's Jamaican wife takes a very different perception to my Puerto Rican wife. That's what I call real diversity!

Orca

Terrific! An oppressed wife contest. Maybe you can each post pictures so we can all superficially judge level of oppression by appearance despite the fact that you all are solidly middle class -- basically what some of you are blithely accusing all of society of doing. WTF does this have to do with skiing?

Edd

Seriously tell me that people who have darker skin will be treated more poorly throughout the day and experience discrimination, versus those that are white.

No, it all depends on people's behavior and attitude, what kind of interaction they will have.

Um, seriously, they will be. But, based on the next paragraph, that’s a rhetorical question, so you’re not actually interested in my answer.

Orca

Thanks, Edd, for unwittingly illustrating my point. Accuse all the world of being racist and then in the very next sentence call out someone based on his race! Do you have any idea how contradictory that is? Do you realize that anyone with any sense will see your statements as shameless virtue signaling?

And about that 9% tax on all those racist skiers....

Edd

Thanks, Edd, for unwittingly illustrating my point. Accuse all the world of being racist and then in the very next sentence call out someone based on his race! Do you have any idea how contradictory that is? Do you realize that anyone with any sense will see your statements as shameless virtue signaling?

And about that 9% tax on all those racist skiers....

I simply keep saying that a person of color in the U.S. experiences racism, regardless of wealth circumstance.

Orca

Sorry, Edd, but no. You called out a person for his race -- apparently it's OK to do so in your book as long as he is white -- and then added a dollop of stereotype about private school. What you did was just as wrong as if you had stereotyped a black guy as a drug dealer.

Perhaps this thread could just painfully end, since no one wants to talk tax policy.

Orca

Jeez, Edd, and then you edit your post to remove your offending statement. Like it never happened! Mulligan.

Deceitful, bro.

Edd

Jeez, Edd, and then you edit your post to remove your offending statement. Like it never happened! Mulligan.

Deceitful, bro.

Yeah, I edit my comments to have the desired effect. To that end, I nailed it. I’m also trying hard not to get in a stupid argument, but I suspect you’re unafraid of that.

Orca

Yeah, I edit my comments to have the desired effect. To that end, I nailed it. I’m also trying hard not to get in a stupid argument, but I suspect you’re unafraid of that.

I'll take your edit as contrition. In the future, you should work harder to avoid making stupid arguments that need post-facto deletion.

Edd

I'll take your edit as contrition. In the future, you should work harder to avoid making stupid arguments that need post-facto deletion.

I’ve made no stupid arguments, new guy. This is where we part ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.