9% Tax Proposal on NH lift tickts - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Smellytele View Post
    He doesn’t own it any more since running for governor

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    Sort of, not totally correct. It kind of makes me wonder if the NH Dem's targeted the ski industry because of his ties to the industry to create bad optics and something they could hammer him with if it ever got to his desk for the veto (which regardless of his ties to the Ski industry, I feel he'd veto any fringe tax proposal like this anyway).

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    I was not aware that VT put a tax on my Killington season pass to pay for other people's educations. Other than a sales tax there was no additional tax when I purchased that pass. At a modest 6% (which amounted to about $55) I didn't think to question that.

If it is true that VT uses that 6% to pay for free tuition then I might have to re-evaluate where I ski even though $55 is not a lot. I guess if I had to pay that every time I went skiing as a day tripper it would bother me a lot more.

Which is kind of the point. Much easier for me as a passholder to overlook that. And harder for me to ski somewhere else because I have the pass.

It really targets the daytrip or overnight crowd that skis less than 10 days per year. And they have many choices where to ski. 9% will be enough to make some ski elsewhere than NH.

Going to have to look further into that 6%.
    Jim, as far as I'm aware, it just goes into VT's sales tax pot. It is not a dedicated tax like NH has proposed.

Quote Originally Posted by machski View Post
    Sort of, not totally correct. It kind of makes me wonder if the NH Dem's targeted the ski industry because of his ties to the industry to create bad optics and something they could hammer him with if it ever got to his desk for the veto (which regardless of his ties to the Ski industry, I feel he'd veto any fringe tax proposal like this anyway).

Considering the current political climate I believe you have utterly nailed the motivation for such a proposal.

Jim, as far as I'm aware, it just goes into VT's sales tax pot. It is not a dedicated tax like NH has proposed.
    I figured as much. Frankly I was shocked it was only 6%!

Considering the current political climate I believe you have utterly nailed the motivation for such a proposal.
    This tax would primarily hit, "wealthy", "white", "males", honestly I cant believe they didn't think of it earlier.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

As JimG alluded to, I don't think the concept of taxing people for recreation, and out-of-staters engaging in tourism, for the goal of paying for someone's (probably poor and waste of time) state "education", because they are deemed to be part of some unfortunate segment of the population (probably based on income and race) is a winning issue at the moment.

I think about 1/2 of folks are even slightly sympathetic to the concept but among those, a large % would still find the tax inappropriate. Ski areas support too many local economies and it's not like people up there have so much money they're willing to sacrifice for abstract goals.

As such there will be local paper Op-Eds on Sununu's supposed conflict of interest, but if he vetoes this it will be a hugely popular move anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by bdfreetuna View Post
    This thread isn't going to implode simply because only the rare person, regardless of political persuasion, would consider this tax necessary, appropriate, or welcomed.
    Kind of why I took the chance and lit the fuse.

I was not aware that VT put a tax on my Killington season pass to pay for other people's educations. Other than a sales tax there was no additional tax when I purchased that pass. At a modest 6% (which amounted to about $55) I didn't think to question that.

If it is true that VT uses that 6% to pay for free tuition then I might have to re-evaluate where I ski even though $55 is not a lot. I guess if I had to pay that every time I went skiing as a day tripper it would bother me a lot more.

Which is kind of the point. Much easier for me as a passholder to overlook that. And harder for me to ski somewhere else because I have the pass.

It really targets the daytrip or overnight crowd that skis less than 10 days per year. And they have many choices where to ski. 9% will be enough to make some ski elsewhere than NH.

Going to have to look further into that 6%.
    I mean does it really matter where that money goes if you were never gonna get anything out of it to begin with?

I don't believe it is free tuition just scholarships to lower the instate tuition. NH has some of the highest (if not the highest) instate out of pocket tuition cost of any state. If you think NY, MA, CT and NJ don't use some of your tax money to support higher education then maybe you need to wake up (and get a higher education).
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days 2018/19 - 75 days

I would be surprised (if it passed) if it didn't go into the general fund in NH as well. Most of the taxes do and are not earmarked directly to anything. This happens a lot they raise some tax say it is going to something and then that something is underfunded.
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days 2018/19 - 75 days

Thread Information