9% Tax Proposal on NH lift tickts - Page 6

AlpineZone

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Smellytele View Post
    I don't believe it is free tuition just scholarships to lower the instate tuition. NH has some of the highest (if not the highest) instate out of pocket tuition cost of any state. If you think NY, MA, CT and NJ don't use some of your tax money to support higher education then maybe you need to wake up (and get a higher education).
    Ha certainly not news to me.

But I'll pass on paying for another state's students as well, thanks!

My most recent response to Craig Thompson illustrated the point that by making season's passes exempt from the tax, but day passes subject to the 9% tax, he would actually be working against social justice equity in the sense that wealthier people who can afford season passes are exempt from the tax, but occasional skiers and those new to the sport, or who cannot afford to ski frequently, would face the greatest burden.

Quote Originally Posted by bdfreetuna View Post
    I got a response...

Josh,

Thanks for your thoughts. I don't usually respond to emails that aren't from constituents, and/or don't include the senders full name, address and phone. But I'm making an exception because it's important for you to know that the tax does not apply to season passes. So perhaps you should consider buying a season pass and skiing even more!
    Best,

Craig R. ThompsonRepresentative for Cheshire House District 14

CraigThompsonforNH.com

What a joker

Ha! Kudos to him for having a sense of humor.

Now the daytrip crowd can be doubly pissed off.

Way to lose even more revenue. Brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by Tin View Post
    UNH is one of the most over priced state-schools around. They are really starting to lose out to surrounding states (e.g., UMaine has billboards in CT since their out of state is cheaper than many in-state options) and need to do something to make it affordable.
    Does UMaine have billboards everywhere? I've seen them in NJ too on the Turnpike advertising that their out of state tuition is cheaper than in-state at NJ schools.

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    You're absolutely correct!

Hell, in New Jersey taxpayers are on the hook so illegal alien's can attend college.

https://www.nj.com/politics/2018/05/...e_college.html
    Our state is filled with idiots. End of story. I have no interest in paying for legal citizens to attend college, never mind illegals...

While I may not often agree with tuna, on this post I agree with many of the things he said regarding higher education. I think our society as a whole pushes college far too much to way too many people that would be better served by not going. I see even at a local level my town being obsessed with how high their "% of students that graduate HS that go to college" stat is. That is a meaningless stat. How many of those people stay in and graduate college? How much debt do they end up with? How much did it help with their career? All things that are much more difficult to measure (and that I'm sure the schools would rather not try to find out anyway).

I was lucky and went to a college that was reasonably priced (at the time) and received some decent scholarships. I didn't end up with much debt and have a degree in a technical field that is actually useful in the real world. And yet I still sometimes question if it was really worth it... Of course if I could take all the knowledge I have now and go back in time, I'd be in a completely different field anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    While I may not often agree with tuna
    That's because 90% of our interactions have been in the Sugarbush thread

You make good points!

One of the things NH schools do now, which I think is smart is they allow full transfer of credits from community college into the 4 year programs. UNH at least has it locally with Great Bay Community College.

As mentioned, the first couple of years of college is where most of the BS courses are. If you can get those out of the way for 25% of the cost, that makes a lot of sense to me.

There has always been a bad stigma placed on community colleges and I think it is not well derserved. They definitely serve a purpose and can be a great springboard into a number of careers; especially in medicine.

If either of my kids wanted to get into medicine, community college RN or similar program is the route I'd encourage them to take. It's two years, not a lot of money, it's not 100% classes, you're spending 2-3 full days a week learning your trade in clinical settings and you graduate pretty much guaranteed to get a job making $25+ an hour with benefits. Not bad for a 20-21 year old kid for about $15k in tuition. If you want to pursue something more with higher earnings potential; transition to a four year school from there with far less debt concerns than had you started with a four year program. You also now have the skills and license to have a much higher paying part time job than your peers.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

<in response to tuna>

Wait.....so let me get this straight. You believe there should be no publicly funded education at all at any level? And no government funding of any research at any institutions?

That is not a mainstream position, that is lunacy.

You are a total and utter crackpot if you believe this.

Great bay cc has arguably one of the best nursing programs around tbh.
    I got my college dough mostly from gi bill. I get my health through them as well. That short enlistment was the single best thing I swear.

Quote Originally Posted by NY DirtBag View Post
    <in response to tuna>

Wait.....so let me get this straight. You believe there should be no publicly funded education at all at any level? And no government funding of any research at any institutions?

That is not a mainstream position, that is lunacy.

You are a total and utter crackpot if you believe this.
    Let me put it this way.

In however many years I've been on this forum you came across as the biggest asshole and also the stupidest (and that's saying a lot).

Remember last year you tried accusing my family of tax fraud? I'm being polite here. You could have been polite responding to me and had another chance. You blew it; I won't be responding to you again.

Yeah. Ok. Chemtrails and Vail controls the weather.

You are the biggest idiot I have ever encountered in many years of the internet. I used to think you were a troll just playing dumb. After a couple of years here I realized you weren't playing.

I mean this sincerely. Good luck with your life. It's going to be extremely hard since you are such a fool.
    Last edited by NY DirtBag; Nov 5, 2019 at 6:26 PM.

Thread Information