• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

9% Tax Proposal on NH lift tickts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killingtime

Oh Yay, more money added to the cost of this sport.

https://www.conwaydailysun.com/news...cle_dbda488a-fc34-11e9-8c77-03d982efef7e.html

https://unofficialnetworks.com/2019/11/04/lift-ticket-tax-nh/

CONCORD — Lawmakers are expected to consider a bill next year that would tax ski lift tickets at the same rate as the rooms and meals tax in New Hampshire.

As expected, a ski industry official said they are preparing to oppose it.

State Rep. Craig Thompson (D-Harrisville), said he is floating the idea as a way to create a scholarship program for New Hampshire students to attend in-state colleges and universities. Revenue would help middle-income and lower-income students, he said.

Orca

The reasons why this is a terrible idea are too numerous to list.

chuckstah

Terrible idea. Call your representatives and make it clear you're against this. I thought the 7% or whatever it is in VT was bad.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using AlpineZone mobile app

bdfreetuna

State Rep. Craig Thompson (D-Harrisville), said he is floating the idea as a way to create a scholarship program for New Hampshire students to attend in-state colleges and universities. Revenue would help middle-income and lower-income students, he said.

F*ck your scholarships, get a job or pay for that nonsense yourself.

snoseek

Following. I predict this thread goes to shit fast.

Nh is a leach state so this doesn't surprise me at all. Anything to avoid a sales/ income tax lol

BenedictGomez

I warned the NH folk here some years ago, change (and not the good kind) is coming to your state.

You are being slowly overrun by Massholes, and they will bring their votes for high tax policies with them.

snoseek

I vote everyday...with my dollars.

I love Wildcat but won't ski in NH for that reason if this type of thing passes.

You ski Vermont right? They do this there right?

Does this include season passes? What about multi passes? How does that work?

deadheadskier

Staff member
I warned the NH folk here some years ago, change (and not the good kind) is coming to your state.

You are being slowly overrun by Massholes, and they will bring their votes for high tax policies with them.
Yes you did. Before you lace up your shoes and take your beloved "I told so" victory lap that you're historically so proud to do; let's see what happens with this proposal.

For one, the Republican Governor owns a ski area. He's quite likely to veto this. It might be bad optics for him, but I'm sure he will simply say, "what's the next tax? Rounds of golf, gym memberships, movie tickets?"

Despite your insistance that big, bad, tax policies are on the way, I can say in my 12 years here I've seen next to nothing meaningful affect my wallet at the state level. At the local level, there has been some EPA mandated water improvement projects that drove up my bill and improvements to the school, which have been long over due. Anything lost to those transactions has been more than offset by rising home values + far better facilities for my kids. Everything else has pretty much been in line with cost of living increases.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

machski

Well, I live in NH so pay no tax on my Ikon pass. And when I use it in VT, those areas do not hit me up with VT tax to use a day. So I guess in that regard you can get around it. Not sure in VT residents have to pay VT tax when they buy an Ikon or Epic pass.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

bdfreetuna

For one, the Republican Governor owns a ski area. He's quite likely to veto this. It might be bad optics for him, but I'm sure he will simply say, "what's the next tax? Rounds of golf, gym memberships, movie tickets?"

Sounds like good optics to me

This thread isn't going to implode simply because only the rare person, regardless of political persuasion, would consider this tax necessary, appropriate, or welcomed.

Smellytele

Yes you did. Before you lace up your shoes and take your beloved "I told so" victory lap that you're historically so proud to do; let's see what happens with this proposal.

Despite your insistance that big, bad, tax policies are on the way, I can say in my 12 years here I've seen next to nothing meaningful affect my wallet at the state level. At the local level, there has been some EPA mandated water improvement projects that drove up my bill and improvements to the school, which have been long over due. Anything lost to those transactions has been more than offset by rising home values + far better facilities for my kids. Everything else has pretty much been in line with cost of living increases.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

He doesn’t own it any more since running for governor

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

BenedictGomez

Dont use "this" proposal's success or failure as a barometer; us "this" proposal being a thing as your canary.

And I take no happiness in being correct on this "I told you so", but correct I will be. Demographics do not lie.

JimG.

Staff member
You ski Vermont right? They do this there right?

Does this include season passes? What about multi passes? How does that work?

I was not aware that VT put a tax on my Killington season pass to pay for other people's educations. Other than a sales tax there was no additional tax when I purchased that pass. At a modest 6% (which amounted to about $55) I didn't think to question that.

If it is true that VT uses that 6% to pay for free tuition then I might have to re-evaluate where I ski even though $55 is not a lot. I guess if I had to pay that every time I went skiing as a day tripper it would bother me a lot more.

Which is kind of the point. Much easier for me as a passholder to overlook that. And harder for me to ski somewhere else because I have the pass.

It really targets the daytrip or overnight crowd that skis less than 10 days per year. And they have many choices where to ski. 9% will be enough to make some ski elsewhere than NH.

Going to have to look further into that 6%.

Status
Not open for further replies.