• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

9% Tax Proposal on NH lift tickts

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebigo

If you read this dude's bio, he studied literature at dickinson college, current tuition north of $50K. He has a very elaborate website for a NH state rep, they get paid around $100 / year along with a range of other benefits including free skiing at cannon and free tolls. My guess is he is setting up a run for governor in 2020.

This topic makes a good internet discussion but it is not going to pass in the current political climate; any political environment in which it would pass would likely saddle us with an income tax. Shows the value of split control on the state level, regardless of what side you are on.

BenedictGomez

The other thing about "higher learning" in America today, a dirty secret hiding out in the open, is that probably 1/2 of colleges today are nothing more than glorified high schools.

The grade inflation, the loosening-standards, the increasing number of T.A.s "teaching" classes, etc..... It's sadly becoming a joke what a farce a huge number of US "colleges" are.

In 1980 there were fewer than 2,000 colleges in America, by 2010 there were over 3,000! They're not all exactly Ivy League. It's a massive government-fueled student-debt bubble, based upon the lie that "everyone should go" to college. What a farce! Many would be FAR more economically well-off if they became plumbers or mechanics, especially if they were so foolish as to waste their $$$ on bogus degrees in nonsense like Gender Studies or Art History.

Last edited:

NYDB

My wife went to college for 8 years to be a Clinical Psychologist. Big commitment and very expensive, lots of debt. However, she's got job opportunities and earning potential, as well as independence in a manner most people would be very envious of.

It's not a blanket statement. But I think the concept of "4 year liberal arts college" prior to what I would consider actual higher education -- advanced degrees, is a total waste of time.

I'm pretty supportive of trade schools, expedited advanced degree training (that is, without wasting years and money doing a bunch of nonsense "core" classes), technical training, and specialized training.

The current climate of general academia however seems to resemble the Washington swamp, full of lazy tenured professors more interested in raising the next generation of assholes than actually preparing people for life to come.

I feel in most cases -- those who aren't set on becoming a doctor, engineer, some kind of scientist, high level business management -- people are better served simply entering the work force and getting a 4 year advantage over the liberal arts suckers.

Not sure what the ideal situation is, but I think in the years to come we'll find out how useless these degrees were in the first place. $100,000 and 4 years wasted for a bit of paper that to many employers means you have less life experience than the alternative? No good!

Furthermore I don't believe government should be involved in education at all. Maybe in China.

Hey man, I'm sorry you thought spending 100k of money you didn't have on a liberal arts degree was something you needed to do, but the statement quoted above is just crazy talk.

granite

This tax is only the beginning. It won't be long before they want to ban skiing because it's harmful to the environment and causes global warming.

bdfreetuna

Hey man, I'm sorry you thought spending 100k of money you didn't have on a liberal arts degree was something you needed to do, but the statement quoted above is just crazy talk.

You highlighted, roughly: "I don't believe government should be involved in education at all."

Crazy talk? That's a pretty mainstream opinion, and certainly the prevailing view among those who choose alternatives to public education.

Feel free to argue your point though.

abc

I warned the NH folk here some years ago, change (and not the good kind) is coming to your state.

You are being slowly overrun by Massholes, and they will bring their votes for high tax policies with them.
NH is only surviving by virtue of being geographically next to Massachusetts. Put NH where VT is, they will "live free AND die!"

By suckering up to Massholes, NH thrives! Much the same way NJ suckered up to NYC and thrives.

Pretend as they would, just like New Jersians a few decades back, that they're getting the jobs from NYC and Boston but escaping the tax and "programs". Little did they know what brings jobs to Boston and New York the first place!

NJ succumbed a good while back. It's now as liberal and as tax happy as NY.

So will NH. But I guess that's what BenedictGomez is basing his prediction on, first hand experience.

Killingtime

I actually thought the funniest part of this whole thing is the quote" Rep. Thompson said 80 percent of those students do not come back to the state to work and raise a family"

So by charging more for a lift ticket you are going to change that? Good logic there Genius. Fix your state and maybe people will want to come back, but I guess it's just easier to bang out the tourists coming in for a weekend of skiing.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'll eat my words as a NH resident when there is a state income tax or standard sales tax, but in 12 years here there has been little momentum towards either.

Do some lawmakers argue for them? Sure. But, I haven't seen major support for either.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

JimG.

Staff member
I mean does it really matter where that money goes if you were never gonna get anything out of it to begin with?

You are correct in that regard.

I guess publicizing it and letting me know how it is going to be spent is a big mistake because ignorance is bliss?

gregnye

The way I see it this proposed tax is aimed towards Ski Tourism (aka the Massachusetts people). Let's be real most of the skier visits in NH are people from Mass (myself included).

This is just NH trying to capture some of that money--because turns out, government money is needed for things like roads. And if your state is obsessed over "NO Sales Tax!!", you have to make up for it in ridiculously high property taxes, Toll Roads and other taxes like this.

Who would of thought that taxes were necessary for government services for things like roads, schools, etc?

I guess my Massachusetts attitude is showing. You New Hampshire guys are lucky that the lower half of your state is dependent on the successful metro area of Boston. Remove Boston and your economy would be as bad as West Virginia and Kentucky. #End Rant

JimG.

Staff member
I don't believe it is free tuition just scholarships to lower the instate tuition. NH has some of the highest (if not the highest) instate out of pocket tuition cost of any state. If you think NY, MA, CT and NJ don't use some of your tax money to support higher education then maybe you need to wake up (and get a higher education).

Ha certainly not news to me.

But I'll pass on paying for another state's students as well, thanks!

bdfreetuna

My most recent response to Craig Thompson illustrated the point that by making season's passes exempt from the tax, but day passes subject to the 9% tax, he would actually be working against social justice equity in the sense that wealthier people who can afford season passes are exempt from the tax, but occasional skiers and those new to the sport, or who cannot afford to ski frequently, would face the greatest burden.

JimG.

Staff member
I got a response...

Josh,

Thanks for your thoughts. I don't usually respond to emails that aren't from constituents, and/or don't include the senders full name, address and phone. But I'm making an exception because it's important for you to know that the tax does not apply to season passes. So perhaps you should consider buying a season pass and skiing even more!
Best,

Craig R. ThompsonRepresentative for Cheshire House District 14

CraigThompsonforNH.com

What a joker :lol:

Ha! Kudos to him for having a sense of humor.

Now the daytrip crowd can be doubly pissed off.

Way to lose even more revenue. Brilliant!

cdskier

UNH is one of the most over priced state-schools around. They are really starting to lose out to surrounding states (e.g., UMaine has billboards in CT since their out of state is cheaper than many in-state options) and need to do something to make it affordable.

Does UMaine have billboards everywhere? I've seen them in NJ too on the Turnpike advertising that their out of state tuition is cheaper than in-state at NJ schools.

You're absolutely correct!

Hell, in New Jersey taxpayers are on the hook so illegal alien's can attend college.

https://www.nj.com/politics/2018/05/immigration_status_will_no_longer_preclude_college.html

Our state is filled with idiots. End of story. I have no interest in paying for legal citizens to attend college, never mind illegals...

While I may not often agree with tuna, on this post I agree with many of the things he said regarding higher education. I think our society as a whole pushes college far too much to way too many people that would be better served by not going. I see even at a local level my town being obsessed with how high their "% of students that graduate HS that go to college" stat is. That is a meaningless stat. How many of those people stay in and graduate college? How much debt do they end up with? How much did it help with their career? All things that are much more difficult to measure (and that I'm sure the schools would rather not try to find out anyway).

I was lucky and went to a college that was reasonably priced (at the time) and received some decent scholarships. I didn't end up with much debt and have a degree in a technical field that is actually useful in the real world. And yet I still sometimes question if it was really worth it... Of course if I could take all the knowledge I have now and go back in time, I'd be in a completely different field anyway!

deadheadskier

Staff member
One of the things NH schools do now, which I think is smart is they allow full transfer of credits from community college into the 4 year programs. UNH at least has it locally with Great Bay Community College.

As mentioned, the first couple of years of college is where most of the BS courses are. If you can get those out of the way for 25% of the cost, that makes a lot of sense to me.

There has always been a bad stigma placed on community colleges and I think it is not well derserved. They definitely serve a purpose and can be a great springboard into a number of careers; especially in medicine.

If either of my kids wanted to get into medicine, community college RN or similar program is the route I'd encourage them to take. It's two years, not a lot of money, it's not 100% classes, you're spending 2-3 full days a week learning your trade in clinical settings and you graduate pretty much guaranteed to get a job making $25+ an hour with benefits. Not bad for a 20-21 year old kid for about $15k in tuition. If you want to pursue something more with higher earnings potential; transition to a four year school from there with far less debt concerns than had you started with a four year program. You also now have the skills and license to have a much higher paying part time job than your peers.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

NYDB

<in response to tuna>

Wait.....so let me get this straight. You believe there should be no publicly funded education at all at any level? And no government funding of any research at any institutions?

That is not a mainstream position, that is lunacy.

You are a total and utter crackpot if you believe this.

snoseek

Great bay cc has arguably one of the best nursing programs around tbh.
I got my college dough mostly from gi bill. I get my health through them as well. That short enlistment was the single best thing I swear.

bdfreetuna

<in response to tuna>

Wait.....so let me get this straight. You believe there should be no publicly funded education at all at any level? And no government funding of any research at any institutions?

That is not a mainstream position, that is lunacy.

You are a total and utter crackpot if you believe this.

Let me put it this way.

In however many years I've been on this forum you came across as the biggest asshole and also the stupidest (and that's saying a lot).

Remember last year you tried accusing my family of tax fraud? I'm being polite here. You could have been polite responding to me and had another chance. You blew it; I won't be responding to you again.

:slap:

NYDB

Yeah. Ok. Chemtrails and Vail controls the weather.

You are the biggest idiot I have ever encountered in many years of the internet. I used to think you were a troll just playing dumb. After a couple of years here I realized you weren't playing.

I mean this sincerely. Good luck with your life. It's going to be extremely hard since you are such a fool.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.