Tenney Mountain

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tenney Mountain

Tenney Mountain

What's the deal with Tenney? I see they're back open again. It also seems they've revived their website in the last week or so.

http://www.skitenney.com/

Ride and Ski Card is doing $40 lift tickets

Is it kind of like a NH version of Magic with limited snowmaking and some steepish narrow trails? Looks fun and I like to support their existence if that's the case.

$329 season passes too

i dig how they have essentially 0 beginner terrain on their map. i doubt i make it that way, especially this season, but i wish them the best, as i would any independent operator trying to revive a NELSAP

Nice to see it un-NELSAP'd. Skied it a bunch in the early 70s. The owner was Sam Hall (I do miss the days when ski areas were owned by an actual person), as I recall he was a bit of a cantankerous fellow. There was no snow making, and he advertised that their grooming was so good, the snow would blow out of the woods onto the trails and stay there. In the late 70's there were a few really lean snow years and he was done for. Hope the new owners can make a go of it.

We did their brochures and I'm pretty sure outsourced their trail maps in the late 80s. Along with Pats Peak, King Ridge, Berkshire East and a couple others I'm not remembering, probably NELSAP'd. Never skied it though.

I like the looks of the terrain, almost has a smaller / less steep Mad River Glen feel to it. Even looks like there's a "backside snowfield" by all the mess of wind turbines. I would not be surprised if they (wisely) added a bunch of tree skiing to give the mountain more appeal to the low-key / cheapskate advanced skier crowd.

Then again I watched a couple other videos and the skiing looked kind of flat. Maybe I'm watching the wrong trails.

Quote Originally Posted by bdfreetuna View Post
    What's the deal with Tenney? I see they're back open again. It also seems they've revived their website in the last week or so.

http://www.skitenney.com/

Ride and Ski Card is doing $40 lift tickets

Is it kind of like a NH version of Magic with limited snowmaking and some steepish narrow trails? Looks fun and I like to support their existence if that's the case.

$329 season passes too
    Kind of like Magic but Magic is a lot further along in their rehab process. Dont even think they were making snow much of anywhere besides tubing as of last year because of how much damage was done to the system while it sat idle. Hope it works out though because the current owner seems like a good guy, although like any lost ski area, he probably had no idea the kind of project he was getting into trying to revive the place.

on map tree area on skiers left ski very nice.
    played in them while my kids took snowboard lessons about 10 yrs ago.
    I would go again

also left my boards in the rack and they where still around the next morning.

those snowfields on the backside look like they would take you to nowheresville fast.

I could certainly see myself checking this place out on a mid winter weekend.

W

You are correct.

Industry newbie picked it up in foreclosure not intending to reopen it, but then reconsidered. Has done some great things with grassroots marketing but does not really have the deep pockets or experience to make it a full-blown ski resort. He is learning. He has poured his heart and soul into the place though. It is coming back....slowly. Much to his credit he has really gotten the locals invested in it...at least emotionally...and has done a good job getting the lodge up and running with regular weekend entertainment and events that appear to be pretty good. I'd rather see it develop slowly as it has been then to have someone come in who has no connection to the local community dump a ton of money into it only to go under again.
    Last edited by thetrailboss; Nov 9, 2019 at 6:08 PM.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

We did their brochures and I'm pretty sure outsourced their trail maps in the late 80s. Along with Pats Peak, King Ridge, Berkshire East and a couple others I'm not remembering, probably NELSAP'd. Never skied it though.
    Were you in the marketing business then? Interesting.

I like the looks of the terrain, almost has a smaller / less steep Mad River Glen feel to it. Even looks like there's a "backside snowfield" by all the mess of wind turbines. I would not be surprised if they (wisely) added a bunch of tree skiing to give the mountain more appeal to the low-key / cheapskate advanced skier crowd.
    IIRC they did have a lot of trees on the map back in the day. It is flat with a few steep pitches here and there.

Then again I watched a couple other videos and the skiing looked kind of flat. Maybe I'm watching the wrong trails.

Live, Ski, or Die!

Thread Information