• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Winter time what hills will AZ people go to this season

bdfreetuna

^^
Doesn't work with seasons passes or RFID cards anyway, they identify you specifically when you get scanned. Asking for trouble. I've been to a few places like Stowe last year they say hello to you by name when getting on the 4 Runner Quad after they scan you. I think they use that to potentially trip people up as well.

Only works with old school tickets. Which in my mind is a modern incentive for mountains to "get with the program" because their loyal customers are suddenly getting in trouble for a practice that's been routine and generally accepted for decades.

Or they can lose that business altogether

ERJ-145CA

Since Mountain Creek is 10 minutes from my house I have a pass and a lot of weekdays off so I'll be there a lot. Also Mt. Peter a lot of weekends. Probably Belleayre once or twice and a Pocono area or two is possible.

Sent from my SM-G970U using AlpineZone mobile app

ThinkSnow

Why should ski areas give senior discounts?
Why should ski areas give discounts for 18-29 year olds (sub-30)?
Why should ski areas give discounts for kids' lift tickets?

This reminds me of people who get upset about parents getting time off from work or other benefits, time off, etc.
Perhaps they fail to understand that human-kind needs to reproduce to continue to exist on this planet.

For those who decide to not have children, that's fine. I will never bad-mouth that decision or talk down to someone for making that decision. However, the decision to not have children doesn't also mean that those who do have children should get no benefits or extras, etc. That argument upsets me and I see it often.
Everyone gets old. Everyone has youth. Kids are discounted everywhere, not just winter sports. Not everyone decides to have children.

When you’ve signed a contract to perform a job, why should one get special privileges just because of the decision to breed? Was that in the contract?

Why do you feel some are entitled to additional benefits for a decision to breed, while those who decide not to do not get similar benefits?

Are you implying you get a ski discount or time off from work for the survival of the human race?

abc

why should one get special privileges just because of the decision to breed? Was that in the contract?

Why do you feel some are entitled to additional benefits for a decision to breed, while those who decide not to do not get similar benefits?

Are you implying you get a ski discount or time off from work for the survival of the human race?
yes, it’s in most contracts!!!

maternity/paternity leaves are in most job offerings. Don’t like it because you don’t plan to breed? Take a different job!

Absolutely, “saving the human race entitles special discounts.

BTW, I choose not to breed. But I’m glad others do. The money I don’t spend for my non-existing offsprings are far more than the discounts the “breeders” get. So I don’t feel ripped off like you.

Jcb890

Everyone gets old. Everyone has youth. Kids are discounted everywhere, not just winter sports. Not everyone decides to have children.

When you’ve signed a contract to perform a job, why should one get special privileges just because of the decision to breed? Was that in the contract?

Why? Because that's how it works.
Yes, those benefits are in every employee contract. Did you read yours before signing?

Like ABC said, those without children aren't 'losing out'. I guess maybe in terms of maternity/paternity leave. But that's not like an actual vacation or real time off. Trust any new parent, it's not a vacation.

And here in the US parental benefits generally suck. I was forced to take actual vacation time or take time off without pay. My wife only got 6 weeks of paid time off.

The ski discount for young parents, kids and adults is to get/keep people in the sport. If you don't offer those discounts, kids aren't going to ski/ride because their parents can't afford it and then the sport dies eventually because there's no new blood. Same idea with the 20-somethings passes. You get the young adults hooked so when they have money and a family they're all into the sport. Honestly, this is really very simple. I'm not sure why you're failing to understand.

And yes, I am implying that people having children is what drives the survival of the human race.

Look at places in Europe and other parts of the world. Both new fathers and mothers are given months off. Some the first year.

I understand not everyone decides to have children or even is able to. That doesn't mean those who do should not receive any benefits. Like ABC also said, you're saving much more not having children than those with children are getting these benefits.

We can agree to disagree I suppose.

jimk

I'm going to jump on the hijack:)
Best reason to have kids: To Give another human being the Chance to Enjoy skiing.

cdskier

Interesting arguments and I can see both sides. I understand the reason for benefits from work for parental leave. Skiing however is a "luxury" to begin with so I think it is a bit different. For something that some people are claiming is such a common practice, I've still only seen one example posted in this thread of a resort that offers this benefit (Bretton Woods). Are there any others? I have the feeling the demand for this benefit is far lower than some are suggesting. If it was a major demographic, more ski areas would have picked up on it and targeted it.

Think about it...what % of the skiing population has a newborn every year? What % of that number is a scenario where BOTH parents are skiers? What % of that number is a scenario where the parents are day trippers vs season pass holders (season pass holders may go from skiing 40 days to 20 days with a kid, or may each ski 40 half days instead of 40 full days, etc so for that pool the dynamic is already quite different). So ultimately when you really crunch the numbers, I think you're talking about a very small percentage of the skiing user base that is even impacted by this.

Ultimately I agree with abc that it is up to each resort to decide what benefits to offer to which demographics. If a resort wants to offer a newborn parent benefit, fine with me. If they don't, fine with me as well. Either way the only thing I expect is people to respect the decision from the resort. If they don't offer it, don't just think you can do what you want because you believe their rules are arbitrary and shouldn't apply to you. Instead go to a resort that has that benefit (i.e. BW). The flagrant "well I can do what I want with the ticket I bought" attitude from some people (not all) is what bothers me.

EPB

Interesting arguments and I can see both sides. I understand the reason for benefits from work for parental leave. Skiing however is a "luxury" to begin with so I think it is a bit different. For something that some people are claiming is such a common practice, I've still only seen one example posted in this thread of a resort that offers this benefit (Bretton Woods). Are there any others? I have the feeling the demand for this benefit is far lower than some are suggesting. If it was a major demographic, more ski areas would have picked up on it and targeted it.

Think about it...what % of the skiing population has a newborn every year? What % of that number is a scenario where BOTH parents are skiers? What % of that number is a scenario where the parents are day trippers vs season pass holders (season pass holders may go from skiing 40 days to 20 days with a kid, or may each ski 40 half days instead of 40 full days, etc so for that pool the dynamic is already quite different). So ultimately when you really crunch the numbers, I think you're talking about a very small percentage of the skiing user base that is even impacted by this.

Ultimately I agree with abc that it is up to each resort to decide what benefits to offer to which demographics. If a resort wants to offer a newborn parent benefit, fine with me. If they don't, fine with me as well. Either way the only thing I expect is people to respect the decision from the resort. If they don't offer it, don't just think you can do what you want because you believe their rules are arbitrary and shouldn't apply to you. Instead go to a resort that has that benefit (i.e. BW). The flagrant "well I can do what I want with the ticket I bought" attitude from some people (not all) is what bothers me.

This isn't meant to single you out, but the fact that we as a species feel it necessary to waste our mental energy thinking about whether we're okay with a ski area's pricing scheme is absurd.

Whatever your situation is, you can take the deal you're offered by the ski area or leave it (and find any discounts out there, if applicable). Wasting energy on what they're charging other people plays into our worst jealous instincts and should have no bearing on whether we choose to ski somewhere - either you want to pay $x for you and whoever you bring to ski y mountain or your don't (because you think it's worth it vis-a-vis the alternatives). It's that easy - don't overthink it.

On the topic, I'm hoping to hit Platty and Magic for the first time this year. Whiteface is on the first-time wish list, but is less likely.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app

Jcb890

Just to clarify, I don't think anyone was saying many or even most mountains offer any benefits for new parents. We're just saying/arguing that it would be a nice benefit and more should offer it.

I follow the rules set by the mountains and ticket purchases. However, next time (if there is one) we'll purchase 1 season pass.

We were also arguing the validity of the discount for day tickets vs. season pass. I honestly see no issue with a couple sharing a day ticket so they can alternate who rides/skis and who watches the baby. Nobody is gaming the system there, you're just allowing someone to get some laps in that wouldn't be able to. In that case, people are just not going to buy a day pass for each adult when they know they won't be able to use it.

abc

Back on topic. I bought Epic pass because I wanted to go to Whistler, Kirkwood and Stowe. Plus I had a place near Okemo that I can crash on occasionally. But that was before Vail bought Peak.

So I think I will likely be adding Hunter and Mt Snow to the list. May skip Okemo. No need to use my "social credit" for the overnight lodging when I can day trip to Snow.

Jcb890

Back on topic. I bought Epic pass because I wanted to go to Whistler, Kirkwood and Stowe. Plus I had a place near Okemo that I can crash on occasionally. But that was before Vail bought Peak.

So I think I will likely be adding Hunter and Mt Snow to the list. May skip Okemo. No need to use my "social credit" for the overnight lodging when I can day trip to Snow.
Nice!
The wife and I have the Peak Pass and have been debating upgrading to the Epic Local - mostly for Stowe.
However, Stowe is almost a 4-hr drive each way, so not exactly day-trip status like Mt. Snow (2 hrs and 15 or so). Trying to decide if the $170/each to upgrade is worth it or if we'll get our money's worth out of it.

I looked at the destinations on the Epic, not bad. Whistler is probably top of the heap I guess.

Originally we had planned to rent a house for a month or so near Mt. Snow, but the other 3 couples backed out - 2 pregnant and 1 blown out back.

abc

The wife and I have the Peak Pass and have been debating upgrading to the Epic Local - mostly for Stowe.
However, Stowe is almost a 4-hr drive each way, so not exactly day-trip status like Mt. Snow (2 hrs and 15 or so). Trying to decide if the $170/each to upgrade is worth it or if we'll get our money's worth out of it.
If you make it to Stowe one weekend, you're already ahead.

I usually only make it to Stowe one weekend (sometimes a 3-day one). If I make 2 weekends, I will be very pleased.

I looked at the destinations on the Epic, not bad. Whistler is probably top of the heap I guess.
Hands down.

And Crested Butte isn't too shabby either (for the adventurous ones). Or Kirkwood+Northstar (more rounded).

In the northeast, Stowe on a good snow day is really glorious! And being drive-able, it's not too difficult to nail a good condition time.

I just got my work schedule turned upside down in the space of a couple hours! So I'll have to re-plan my winter (no change of destination, but mostly regarding timing and/or order).

Jcb890

If you make it to Stowe one weekend, you're already ahead.

I usually only make it to Stowe one weekend (sometimes a 3-day one). If I make 2 weekends, I will be very pleased.

Hands down.

And Crested Butte isn't too shabby either (for the adventurous ones). Or Kirkwood+Northstar (more rounded).

In the northeast, Stowe on a good snow day is really glorious! And being drive-able, it's not too difficult to nail a good condition time.

I just got my work schedule turned upside down in the space of a couple hours! So I'll have to re-plan my winter (no change of destination, but mostly regarding timing and/or order).
Honestly, 4 hours one-way is too much for it to be an enjoyable day trip for me. I've done it a few times (Jay and Stowe), but I'm not a fan. The ride home is brutal.

I agree if we did/do a weekend just at Stowe, you're ahead of the game $-wise with the pass. But, for us, that means renting a place for the weekend most likely since we don't know anyone with a place we can use/crash at. So, it's still a debate on whether upgrading is worth it - if we plan to travel or rent somewhere.

abc

I agree if we did/do a weekend just at Stowe, you're ahead of the game $-wise with the pass. But, for us, that means renting a place for the weekend most likely since we don't know anyone with a place we can use/crash at. So, it's still a debate on whether upgrading is worth it - if we plan to travel or rent somewhere.
It boils down to how much you want to ski Stowe!

Jcb890

It boils down to how much you want to ski Stowe!
You're right.
I do really like Stowe and their terrain. It's probably my favorite mountain in New England I've been to (though haven't tried Sugarbush or Sugarloaf yet).

BenedictGomez

I do really like Stowe and their terrain. It's probably my favorite mountain in New England I've been to (though haven't tried Sugarbush or Sugarloaf yet).

BG's ski rankings list simplified

Stowe is the best mountain in the east.
Lake Placid is the best ski town in the east.
Jay Peak has the best trees in the east.
Anyplace you are that serves beer is the best nightlife in the east.

[/the end]

Jcb890

BG's ski rankings list simplified

Stowe is the best mountain in the east.
Lake Placid is the best ski town in the east.
Jay Peak has the best trees in the east.
Anyplace you are that serves beer is the best nightlife in the east.

[/the end]
I don't think you'll get much disagreement there.

Now you have me thinking about how much fun a worst of list would be.:lol: