Winter time what hills will AZ people go to this season - Page 8

AlpineZone

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Interesting arguments and I can see both sides. I understand the reason for benefits from work for parental leave. Skiing however is a "luxury" to begin with so I think it is a bit different. For something that some people are claiming is such a common practice, I've still only seen one example posted in this thread of a resort that offers this benefit (Bretton Woods). Are there any others? I have the feeling the demand for this benefit is far lower than some are suggesting. If it was a major demographic, more ski areas would have picked up on it and targeted it.

Think about it...what % of the skiing population has a newborn every year? What % of that number is a scenario where BOTH parents are skiers? What % of that number is a scenario where the parents are day trippers vs season pass holders (season pass holders may go from skiing 40 days to 20 days with a kid, or may each ski 40 half days instead of 40 full days, etc so for that pool the dynamic is already quite different). So ultimately when you really crunch the numbers, I think you're talking about a very small percentage of the skiing user base that is even impacted by this.

Ultimately I agree with abc that it is up to each resort to decide what benefits to offer to which demographics. If a resort wants to offer a newborn parent benefit, fine with me. If they don't, fine with me as well. Either way the only thing I expect is people to respect the decision from the resort. If they don't offer it, don't just think you can do what you want because you believe their rules are arbitrary and shouldn't apply to you. Instead go to a resort that has that benefit (i.e. BW). The flagrant "well I can do what I want with the ticket I bought" attitude from some people (not all) is what bothers me.

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    Interesting arguments and I can see both sides. I understand the reason for benefits from work for parental leave. Skiing however is a "luxury" to begin with so I think it is a bit different. For something that some people are claiming is such a common practice, I've still only seen one example posted in this thread of a resort that offers this benefit (Bretton Woods). Are there any others? I have the feeling the demand for this benefit is far lower than some are suggesting. If it was a major demographic, more ski areas would have picked up on it and targeted it.

Think about it...what % of the skiing population has a newborn every year? What % of that number is a scenario where BOTH parents are skiers? What % of that number is a scenario where the parents are day trippers vs season pass holders (season pass holders may go from skiing 40 days to 20 days with a kid, or may each ski 40 half days instead of 40 full days, etc so for that pool the dynamic is already quite different). So ultimately when you really crunch the numbers, I think you're talking about a very small percentage of the skiing user base that is even impacted by this.

Ultimately I agree with abc that it is up to each resort to decide what benefits to offer to which demographics. If a resort wants to offer a newborn parent benefit, fine with me. If they don't, fine with me as well. Either way the only thing I expect is people to respect the decision from the resort. If they don't offer it, don't just think you can do what you want because you believe their rules are arbitrary and shouldn't apply to you. Instead go to a resort that has that benefit (i.e. BW). The flagrant "well I can do what I want with the ticket I bought" attitude from some people (not all) is what bothers me.
    This isn't meant to single you out, but the fact that we as a species feel it necessary to waste our mental energy thinking about whether we're okay with a ski area's pricing scheme is absurd.

Whatever your situation is, you can take the deal you're offered by the ski area or leave it (and find any discounts out there, if applicable). Wasting energy on what they're charging other people plays into our worst jealous instincts and should have no bearing on whether we choose to ski somewhere - either you want to pay $x for you and whoever you bring to ski y mountain or your don't (because you think it's worth it vis-a-vis the alternatives). It's that easy - don't overthink it.

On the topic, I'm hoping to hit Platty and Magic for the first time this year. Whiteface is on the first-time wish list, but is less likely.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Ski season is always too short

Just to clarify, I don't think anyone was saying many or even most mountains offer any benefits for new parents. We're just saying/arguing that it would be a nice benefit and more should offer it.

I follow the rules set by the mountains and ticket purchases. However, next time (if there is one) we'll purchase 1 season pass.

We were also arguing the validity of the discount for day tickets vs. season pass. I honestly see no issue with a couple sharing a day ticket so they can alternate who rides/skis and who watches the baby. Nobody is gaming the system there, you're just allowing someone to get some laps in that wouldn't be able to. In that case, people are just not going to buy a day pass for each adult when they know they won't be able to use it.

Back on topic. I bought Epic pass because I wanted to go to Whistler, Kirkwood and Stowe. Plus I had a place near Okemo that I can crash on occasionally. But that was before Vail bought Peak.

So I think I will likely be adding Hunter and Mt Snow to the list. May skip Okemo. No need to use my "social credit" for the overnight lodging when I can day trip to Snow.

Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    Back on topic. I bought Epic pass because I wanted to go to Whistler, Kirkwood and Stowe. Plus I had a place near Okemo that I can crash on occasionally. But that was before Vail bought Peak.

So I think I will likely be adding Hunter and Mt Snow to the list. May skip Okemo. No need to use my "social credit" for the overnight lodging when I can day trip to Snow.
    Nice!
    The wife and I have the Peak Pass and have been debating upgrading to the Epic Local - mostly for Stowe.
    However, Stowe is almost a 4-hr drive each way, so not exactly day-trip status like Mt. Snow (2 hrs and 15 or so). Trying to decide if the $170/each to upgrade is worth it or if we'll get our money's worth out of it.

I looked at the destinations on the Epic, not bad. Whistler is probably top of the heap I guess.

Originally we had planned to rent a house for a month or so near Mt. Snow, but the other 3 couples backed out - 2 pregnant and 1 blown out back.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcb890 View Post
    The wife and I have the Peak Pass and have been debating upgrading to the Epic Local - mostly for Stowe.
    However, Stowe is almost a 4-hr drive each way, so not exactly day-trip status like Mt. Snow (2 hrs and 15 or so). Trying to decide if the $170/each to upgrade is worth it or if we'll get our money's worth out of it.
    If you make it to Stowe one weekend, you're already ahead.

I usually only make it to Stowe one weekend (sometimes a 3-day one). If I make 2 weekends, I will be very pleased.

I looked at the destinations on the Epic, not bad. Whistler is probably top of the heap I guess.
    Hands down.

And Crested Butte isn't too shabby either (for the adventurous ones). Or Kirkwood+Northstar (more rounded).

In the northeast, Stowe on a good snow day is really glorious! And being drive-able, it's not too difficult to nail a good condition time.

I just got my work schedule turned upside down in the space of a couple hours! So I'll have to re-plan my winter (no change of destination, but mostly regarding timing and/or order).

If you make it to Stowe one weekend, you're already ahead.

I usually only make it to Stowe one weekend (sometimes a 3-day one). If I make 2 weekends, I will be very pleased.

Hands down.

And Crested Butte isn't too shabby either (for the adventurous ones). Or Kirkwood+Northstar (more rounded).

In the northeast, Stowe on a good snow day is really glorious! And being drive-able, it's not too difficult to nail a good condition time.

I just got my work schedule turned upside down in the space of a couple hours! So I'll have to re-plan my winter (no change of destination, but mostly regarding timing and/or order).
    Honestly, 4 hours one-way is too much for it to be an enjoyable day trip for me. I've done it a few times (Jay and Stowe), but I'm not a fan. The ride home is brutal.

I agree if we did/do a weekend just at Stowe, you're ahead of the game $-wise with the pass. But, for us, that means renting a place for the weekend most likely since we don't know anyone with a place we can use/crash at. So, it's still a debate on whether upgrading is worth it - if we plan to travel or rent somewhere.

I agree if we did/do a weekend just at Stowe, you're ahead of the game $-wise with the pass. But, for us, that means renting a place for the weekend most likely since we don't know anyone with a place we can use/crash at. So, it's still a debate on whether upgrading is worth it - if we plan to travel or rent somewhere.
    It boils down to how much you want to ski Stowe!

It boils down to how much you want to ski Stowe!
    You're right.
    I do really like Stowe and their terrain. It's probably my favorite mountain in New England I've been to (though haven't tried Sugarbush or Sugarloaf yet).

I do really like Stowe and their terrain. It's probably my favorite mountain in New England I've been to (though haven't tried Sugarbush or Sugarloaf yet).
    BG's ski rankings list simplified

Stowe is the best mountain in the east.
    Lake Placid is the best ski town in the east.
    Jay Peak has the best trees in the east.
    Anyplace you are that serves beer is the best nightlife in the east.

[/the end]
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Thread Information