• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Winter time what hills will AZ people go to this season

BenedictGomez

Anyway, how is it typically done? Do you just go to the ticket office and ask them to please take the ticket off your jacket and put it on your wife's?

Brand new parent here, so it's not like I've made a scientific study of this, but I know there are quite a few mountains that have "parent's passes" or "skiing with baby" passes or WTH each individual mountain calls it, and yes, it works much like you describe.

Peak/Mt. Snow absolutely said it was not allowed.

You know how this could be made an almost universal policy? Get SKI Magazine to write an article about it & list all of the mountains which currently do offer it. In any event, if some parent somewhere makes a big social media stink about it, I imagine this could change hearts & minds quickly. Look at what Backcountry.com is currently dealing with & how much money that negative press is costing them.

Last edited:

ThinkSnow

Parents of newborns sharing a ticket is so commonly done I didnt even know it's not allowed at some places. Which I suspect it really isn't if the policy will never be enforced.
Why should ski areas give new parents the privilege of skiing on one pass, simply because you decided to breed??

abc

Why should ski areas give new parents the privilege of skiing on one pass, simply because you decided to breed??
Why would ski areas give older people who the privilege of skiing on cheaper ticket simply because they got old?

Notice the word "would" instead of "should". If you can't tell the difference, you're not cut out to run a business.

BenedictGomez

Never did it when my kids were babies. At the places that offer the pass is it more than 1 adult ticket?

None that I am aware of, it's 1 interchangeable ticket, which makes sense since it cant be abused that way.

You seem pleasant.

cdskier

Personally I would have never even thought to ask about the possibility of sharing a pass/ticket just because I had a newborn. I'd also wager a guess that far more resorts don't allow it than those that do allow it.

Jcb890

Why should ski areas give senior discounts?
Why should ski areas give discounts for 18-29 year olds (sub-30)?
Why should ski areas give discounts for kids' lift tickets?

This reminds me of people who get upset about parents getting time off from work or other benefits, time off, etc.
Perhaps they fail to understand that human-kind needs to reproduce to continue to exist on this planet.

For those who decide to not have children, that's fine. I will never bad-mouth that decision or talk down to someone for making that decision. However, the decision to not have children doesn't also mean that those who do have children should get no benefits or extras, etc. That argument upsets me and I see it often.

Jcb890

None that I am aware of, it's 1 interchangeable ticket, which makes sense since it cant be abused that way.
Like I said, I think we might have been able to get away with sharing a Peak Pass last year... however, if a lifty saw the photo didn't match and obviously the person is male vs. pass-holder female (or visa versa) they could have easily turned us down or taken it away. Figured it wasn't worth the headache and we actually made it work to get some days in.

Not a great situation though honestly.

abc

Why should ski areas give senior discounts?
Why should ski areas give discounts for 18-29 year olds (sub-30)?
Why should ski areas give discounts for kids' lift tickets?
Point being, ski area have the freedom to offer discount to whoever and whenever. It's a business. It can choose to offer discount to attract ANY underrepresented demographic to boost business!

New parents are just one such demographics. They don't have as much time. They're probably feeling a bit of financial pinch. So if a mountain choose to make it extra appealing to ski for them to ski in THAT mountain, they're free to do so!

It's pretty obvious with the other discounts as well.

If it's good for business, other mountain will follow (especially if it's publicized in social media or ski magazines). But any mountain is free to NOT follow suite if they feel it's not worth the hassle. Example, Vail resort does NOT offer a senior discount on the Epic Pass!

bdfreetuna

As long as only one parent is on the chairlift at a time, it's legit. Get one of those clear plastic pass holders so you aren't zip-tying your pass to your jacket.

One problem with RFID unfortunately is that some mountains will identify you by name, and may question a Steve that looks like a Jennifer. Then again, maybe not in this day and age. Both parents can always dye their hair purple to avoid that line of questioning.

Anyway, curious which mountains offer a "2 parents / 1 at a time pass". Probably irrelevant unless one wants to pay $149 window rate.

cdskier

As long as only one parent is on the chairlift at a time, it's legit.

You can believe that if you want, but that's not actually the case unless a resort specifically allows it. Most passes/tickets clearly say "non-transferable" on them or when you purchase them. If you buy a non-transferable pass, it is not "legit" to share it between parents even if only one is on a chairlift at a time. Can they prosecute you if they catch you? Technically yes, but most likely they wouldn't. I'd think worst case they would revoke the pass and warn you not to do it again. Now if you were caught and warned once by a resort that didn't allow it and then did it again anyway, then all bets are off.

bdfreetuna

Natural Law > US Constitution > Contracts & Treaties > Legislation > Local Ordinances > Common Sense > Fine Print on Back of Lift Tickets

That's how I look at it anyway. Like other have said it wouldn't even cross many people's minds that it would be a "violation" in any way at all. You pay for 1 day of lift access for one person, pretty simple. I think if a mountain were to "prosecute" someone for sharing a ticket while the other sits in the lodge or using other resort services/meals, it probably wouldn't go anywhere legally.

If it did become a major case somehow, I wouldn't put it past a ruling that banning lift ticket one-at-a-time sharing is an illegal practice that screws the consumer with no good cause.

Edit: The reason I say it's "legit", is because it's clearly not stealing. On the contrary, the mountain that insists you need to buy 2 tickets for only 1 person to be skiing all day is the one doing the stealing.

Last edited:

GregoryIsaacs

Wouldn't this be similar to letting someone use my season pass on a day where I wasn't skiing or even in the same state as the mountain in question?

These mountains do not want to be robbed of the "opportunity" to sell that extra day pass, or thats how it was explained to me when my cousin let his college buddy use his pass and got caught red handed when they looked that the picture on the scan gun.

I also believe some resorts give bonuses to the scanners who turn them in as well.

bdfreetuna

Not similar to handing out your Seasons Pass on days you're not using it. That actually does rob the ski area, as your seasons pass does not entitle you to ski every day out of a full season, it only entitles you to ski every day you can actually show up yourself.

In the case of two parents sharing a ticket, each one is using a full day pass to ski approximately half a day each. The mountain suffers no loss except from a perspective of greed and taking advantage of customers.

The best solution is for all mountains to offer parent-share tickets at the same price as regular tickets, and with the same available discounts, so they won't suffer any hassles or confusion. Everybody wins.

abc

Tuna, are you a lawyer? I'm not. But I find your argument unconvincing.

"it only entitles you to ski every HOUR (or MINUTE) you can actually show up yourself".

Jcb890

Point being, ski area have the freedom to offer discount to whoever and whenever. It's a business. It can choose to offer discount to attract ANY underrepresented demographic to boost business!

New parents are just one such demographics. They don't have as much time. They're probably feeling a bit of financial pinch. So if a mountain choose to make it extra appealing to ski for them to ski in THAT mountain, they're free to do so!

It's pretty obvious with the other discounts as well.

If it's good for business, other mountain will follow (especially if it's publicized in social media or ski magazines). But any mountain is free to NOT follow suite if they feel it's not worth the hassle. Example, Vail resort does NOT offer a senior discount on the Epic Pass!
I agree and my wife and I abided by Mt. Snow's/Peak's rules and did not share our season pass.
Offering some type of pass for new parents is good business sense.
Just like offering discounts for young adults and seniors. Especially the young adult passes - you get them into the sport on the cheap when they don't have much money and then in theory in their 30's when they have a family and money, everyone is into it and spending their money on the sport, at the resort, etc.
And a lot of times, if there wasn't a discount, that person is going to go elsewhere or not at all.

Not similar to handing out your Seasons Pass on days you're not using it. That actually does rob the ski area, as your seasons pass does not entitle you to ski every day out of a full season, it only entitles you to ski every day you can actually show up yourself.

In the case of two parents sharing a ticket, each one is using a full day pass to ski approximately half a day each. The mountain suffers no loss except from a perspective of greed and taking advantage of customers.

The best solution is for all mountains to offer parent-share tickets at the same price as regular tickets, and with the same available discounts, so they won't suffer any hassles or confusion. Everybody wins.
Exactly.
Parents with a newborn both trying to ski/ride are not trying to screw over the mountain... they're trying to enjoy doing what they love and involving their family... which will often times translate into said child(ren) becoming a future customer. It is just good business sense/practice.

"it only entitles you to ski every HOUR (or MINUTE) you can actually show up yourself".
I'm no lawyer, I forget if tuna is, I know we have some on here.
But, I'm like 99.99% sure that whatever they put in the fine print goes basically.
Just like you sign away your liability.
However, there is always extenuating circumstances.

For a pass, in court, I'm guessing you would have no leg to stand on, just like you can't have 2 people use the same ticket for a sporting event, concert, etc.

BenedictGomez

On the contrary of not suffering a loss, the mountains that offer "infant care tickets" or whatever-its-called, actually bring in some revenue versus bringing in $0.00. As such, I'm somewhat surprised this is not as standard a practice as offering Senior lift tickets.

bdfreetuna

Nope but I never heard of anyone thinking parents sharing tickets for sake of watching the kid was a bad thing until 30 minutes ago; that said I'm perfectly comfy with my position, and perfectly comfy if others disagree or weigh the issue differently.

My kid is only 2 so it won't be long before I look for "friendly" mountains, so to speak. I'm not looking to blatantly violate policies, but "unfriendly" mountains will lose my business. May do a little on location research this winter.

BenedictGomez

I agree and my wife and I abided by Mt. Snow's/Peak's rules and did not share our season pass.
Offering some type of pass for new parents is good business sense.

While I dont disagree with your second sentence, the spirit of what I'm talking about doesn't extend out as well to season passes. If you've purchased a season pass you've already made the commitment & thus presumed acknowledgement that you somehow are in fact able to ski a LOT of days, even though you have a baby (maybe grandparents live nearby?).

The reason I think this makes much more sense for single day tickets, is that for parents buying these, it is likely literally the only way they'll be able to enjoy even a handful of days skiing per season while taking care of a newborn.

Jcb890

While I dont disagree with your second sentence, the spirit of what I'm talking about doesn't extend out as well to season passes. If you've purchased a season pass you've already made the commitment & thus presumed acknowledgement that you somehow are in fact able to ski a LOT of days, even though you have a baby (maybe grandparents live nearby?).

The reason I think this makes much more sense for single day tickets, is that for parents buying these, it is likely literally the only way they'll be able to enjoy even a handful of days skiing per season while taking care of a newborn.
Honestly, my wife and I should have just purchased 1 season pass and shared it, damn the repercussions.

It definitely makes more sense on a day pass. I would 100% split a day pass with my significant other to share watching our child. I would not feel bad at all about doing it. You're already paying exorbitant single-day lift prices and going to be there almost effectively forced to spend your money at the mountain/nearby. At that point, if the mountain/operations/liftie had an issue with it, I would make it into a bigger issue than if they let it slide. :razz:

My wife and I did wind up having a couple of days last season where we had someone watch the baby and got to ride together. But, not enough that we couldn't have split a pass and paid each for a day ticket if needed or something like that. Oh well.