Except for Killington-very weak effort to get open - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Sorry Cannon, my mistake. Looks like you could be open before some of the others. I usually have a Cannon pass, will miss you most of this winter, but will make it up a few times on your excellent discount days.

Stratton is blowing, and I have to think pretty much everyone will make snow thru the weekend and start building their base. Stratton's website is still predicting an open on the 23rd. If the cold temps stick around, they should have a strong opening with lots options top to bottom.

If you can't open first, you might as well open strong.

Quote Originally Posted by granite View Post
    Overall, disappointed that Mount Snow-Okemo-Wildcat opening day is a long way off, since I have an Epic pass this year.
    Im no longer interested in early season offerings, barring freak early season pow. But, for those who are, the Ikon kinda kills it with both Kmart and SR on the pass.

Quote Originally Posted by granite View Post
    I've been checking the Wildcat website snow report and live web daily. It seems they are not making an all out snowmaking assault to open, you can hardly see any snow making going on. They are very slow to update their web site too.

Over at Cannon, the last to open and the first to close, they announced opening day the Saturday after Thanksgiving. In the past I believe they always opened on Friday after Thanksgiving. To make matters worse, they will then close Mon-Thurs before re-opening. I can't imagine this, what if there's a two foot dump and they are closed?

The Mount Snow web site is bragging about the most powerful snow making system in the East, but don't plan on opening anytime soon. Little to no info at Okemo, Bretton Woods or Loon. In the past, Bretton Woods made an all out effort to open early-not so anymore.

Killington the big winner again open everyday since Sunday. Sunday River in second again opening tomorrow-Friday.

Overall, disappointed that Mount Snow-Okemo-Wildcat opening day is a long way off, since I have an Epic pass this year.
    Long way off? I think it's pretty certain both Cat and Snow will open by next weekend. Not sure on Okemo.

Bretton Woods is blasting right now. They can open that first trail with about 6-8" base. Wouldn't be surprised if they open tomorrow or Sunday.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

There probably isn’t a whole lot of money there for a bunch of ski areas to be open before Thanksgiving. Killington has a niche there for sure but not a lot of incentive left for everyone else. Hunter I get though, there a lot closer to the tri-state market than Killington.

Er body looking smart in hur. For once.

Companies see no profits. They no open. Super tricky concepts to grasp but we are slowly understanding and getting it. Except for OP

Air temps are only part of the equation, too. Even if you can make snow at 38 degrees wet bulb (which is what I was told some years ago, researching an eighth-grade science presentation), if the ground is at 45 degrees, that snow isn't staying frozen very long after landing. Most places are (understandably) reluctant to spend a lot of money pushing water up the hill and out of snowguns only to watch it come back down the hill after it melts.

Killington also has an elevation advantage relative to most New England ski areas, and even a thousand feet can make quite a difference at marginal temps. Now that the weather pattern has now changed and I'd expect to see a lot more effort to produce snow.
    Disclaimer: Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself, unless I'm saying something incredibly dumb, in which case I didn't say anything and you're hallucinating.

Quote Originally Posted by kbroderick View Post
    Air temps are only part of the equation, too. Even if you can make snow at 38 degrees wet bulb (which is what I was told some years ago, researching an eighth-grade science presentation), if the ground is at 45 degrees, that snow isn't staying frozen very long after landing. Most places are (understandably) reluctant to spend a lot of money pushing water up the hill and out of snowguns only to watch it come back down the hill after it melts.

Killington also has an elevation advantage relative to most New England ski areas, and even a thousand feet can make quite a difference at marginal temps. Now that the weather pattern has now changed and I'd expect to see a lot more effort to produce snow.
    I heard most mountain operation directors base their decisions of that 8th grade project of yours.

Quote Originally Posted by FBGM View Post
    I heard most mountain operation directors base their decisions of that 8th grade project of yours.
    It was a pretty good eighth-grade project.
    Disclaimer: Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself, unless I'm saying something incredibly dumb, in which case I didn't say anything and you're hallucinating.

This year's Thanksgiving is late. (nearly bought flights for the wrong week! )

So expect most mountains open as "usual", which is a few days later than most years, but just right time for Thanksgiving.

Thread Information