Except for Killington-very weak effort to get open - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    This year's Thanksgiving is late. (nearly bought flights for the wrong week! )

So expect most mountains open as "usual", which is a few days later than most years, but just right time for Thanksgiving.
    I kept thinking the mountains in SoVT were opening early with a tentative 11/23 first chair date. Then I realized Thanksgiving was later this year.

SoVT

I'd rather ski on something good than waste time and money on marginal. I know..we all can't wait to get out there..
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

Oh yea, now this is what I'm talking about. Bretton Woods blasting it out, the new gondola spinning and 7 inches of snow. They look like they could open tomorrow-Saturday.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by granite View Post
    I've been checking the Wildcat website snow report and live web daily. It seems they are not making an all out snowmaking assault to open, you can hardly see any snow making going on. They are very slow to update their web site too.

[....]

Overall, disappointed that Mount Snow-Okemo-Wildcat opening day is a long way off, since I have an Epic pass this year.
    That's Vail's MO. Welcome to the Epic family.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Wildcat is performing as they usually do. They blew in upper lynx and said they finished up and then they started on middle and lower lynx and were blowing at the base. Nothing less than they usually do.
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days 2018/19 - 75 days

Quote Originally Posted by Smellytele View Post
    Wildcat is performing as they usually do. They blew in upper lynx and said they finished up and then they started on middle and lower lynx and were blowing at the base. Nothing less than they usually do.
    Last year was truly an exception with the early season snowfall that they got. They only opened early because they had a lot of natural snow to augment the man made stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by WWF-VT View Post
    There is no profit with early season walk-up tickets
    Maybe but I have assume there is profit in season passes, seasonal programs, booze, pizza and lodging.

With the notable exception of condo owners, people are not tied to a mountain and the ikon mountains are destroying epic early season. I suspect my family will spend more this year on early season k/sr tickets, peak passes and k spring pass than on a ragged/ikon combo. At some point we need to run the numbers and make a decision on next year.
    The true happiness of a man can be found in the mastery of his passions.

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    I think this statement sums it up best. There are a lot of people with unrealistic expectations here. The argument that "well K has been open so why can't others get open yet" is a silly one too. K has an ideal setup to allow them to open a few hundred feet of vertical near the summit where you have the best snowmaking temps.
    And thus far this fall this elevation advantage has paid off in spades. Others areas can’t compete.

But now it’s cold, and this week it is mid winter cold. Every ski area north of Hunter can open next weekend, IF they chose to.
    Last edited by slatham; Nov 9, 2019 at 5:21 PM.
    2017/18 = 37
    2016/17 = 31
    2015/16 = Depressing
    2014/15 = 28
    2013/14 = 27

Quote Originally Posted by slatham View Post
    Every ski area north of Hunter can open next weekend, IF they chose to.
    I'd put a dollar down on them (Hunter) kicking off next weekend, too.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigo View Post
    Maybe but I have assume there is profit in season passes, seasonal programs, booze, pizza and lodging.

With the notable exception of condo owners, people are not tied to a mountain and the ikon mountains are destroying epic early season. I suspect my family will spend more this year on early season k/sr tickets, peak passes and k spring pass than on a ragged/ikon combo. At some point we need to run the numbers and make a decision on next year.
    Vail's accountants set the season to open on a certain date and close on a certain date, regardless of weather and conditions. That's how they plan to maximize revenue.

Park City folks were pretty pissed last season when they closed in early-April with plenty-o-snow. Vail took the money and ran. Unfortunately, that is what to expect when you buy a "discounted" Epic Pass, at least in their POV.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Thread Information