Except for Killington-very weak effort to get open - Page 6

AlpineZone

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by FBGM View Post
    Those rankings mean nothing, fyi.

And if you’re seriously trying to compare Peak Resorts leadership to Vail then lol. You’re on crack.
    True, but seeing that Stowe dropped that far was pretty interesting. I never would have guessed that.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

They should. Looks like shit. Don’t see that garbage anywhere out west. Liability as well. Can’t go back and burry but should from here out. You really got me on that one. What a zinger.
    A lot of western mountains have limited snowmaking when compared to the east. And most of them are relatively new to snowmaking and have adopted systems with fan guns that only require electricity and water. Thus only one line is needed. Additionally, we have this thing called avalanche out here that would wipe out a lot of lines if they sat above ground.

And "burry" a line?
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Those rankings mean nothing, fyi.

And if you’re seriously trying to compare Peak Resorts leadership to Vail then lol. You’re on crack.
    They are not the end all, be all. But when a resort like Stowe drops that far, it should cause several eyebrows to be raised and question why. Could it be the day ticket price is ridiculously high for having pretty much ZERO investment in improvements to date from Vail? Probably a good bet.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by KustyTheKlown View Post
    good times at Killington yesterday
    lines were long, but it’s a the first Saturday of the season, nothing else in the state is open, it’s a beautiful day, and it snowed 2 days ago. lots of people complaining about the lines and crowds, and it’s like “hey man you’re a part of the line and crowd you’re complaining about, what did you expect, just enjoy the day and relax”
    That's a good bit of wisdom. When I start to get sick of crowds, I try and remind myself: I am the crowd. When you start to get annoyed by all of the "other people" crowding the lines or the slopes, realize that you are one of those "other people" to every other person besides yourself. And if you are ever wondering why there are so many people in line, ask yourself why you're in line, and that might be your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDeJ View Post
    Im not sure Vail had a lot to do with them waiting a week, my son works there and said really nothing has changed.
    My impression is that Vail tends to be a hand-off owner for the first year of a resort's operation so that they can observe how the mountain is run, and then plan on making changes for the second year. That was their model at Stowe and Okemo. I kind of doubt that Vail told Mount Snow to open later than local management wanted to. Remember that the acquisition didn't close very long ago. Vail doesn't have any experience with Mount Snow, they need to rely on the existing management and staff to learn the ins and outs.

Quote Originally Posted by machski View Post
    They are not the end all, be all. But when a resort like Stowe drops that far, it should cause several eyebrows to be raised and question why. Could it be the day ticket price is ridiculously high for having pretty much ZERO investment in improvements to date from Vail? Probably a good bet.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Those issues yes, plus the insane traffic too and from the resort that the added pass base has caused.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

90A8F02B-A946-4425-9E54-3AA767762059.jpg

Killington opening advanced terrain tomorrow. Does “Downdraft - Headwall + Downdraft - Upper” mean “From the top of the gondola to Great Northern” ?

617BBA0B-8AF6-40CF-BA7C-F93D6092BAAB.jpg

Yes...Downdraft Headwall is the steep, often frozen solid section that drops off the peak lodge to High Traverse. "Upper" Downdraft shouldn't count as a separate trail as its only a few hundred more feet down to Great Northern and rather uninteresting.

This is the best time of the season to ski the Headwall until soft spring days. After it gets rained on once, bring your ice skates.

For the record, Killington splits Downdraft, which really isnt very long, into 4 sections lol.
    2003-2004: 21; 2004-2005: 27; 2005-2006: 31; 2006-2007: 31; 2007-2008: 38; 2008-2009: 43; 2009-2010: 42; 2010-2011: 46; 2011-2012: 33; 2012-2013: 26 2013-14: 18; 2014-15: 17; 2015-16: 7; 2016-17: 14; 2017-18: 23; 2018-19

2019-20 days - 6
    Wachusett: 11/15, 11/21, 12/5
    Stratton: 11/26; Mt. Snow: 12/3
    Killington: 12/8

Quote Originally Posted by crazy View Post
    My impression is that Vail tends to be a hand-off owner for the first year of a resort's operation so that they can observe how the mountain is run, and then plan on making changes for the second year. That was their model at Stowe and Okemo. I kind of doubt that Vail told Mount Snow to open later than local management wanted to. Remember that the acquisition didn't close very long ago. Vail doesn't have any experience with Mount Snow, they need to rely on the existing management and staff to learn the ins and outs.

The same thing happened last year Pre-Vail. Mount Snow opened earlier than normal but after Killington. Mount Snow might have a bigger snowmaking system, but they are at a huge disadvantage compared to Killington in terms of temps, elevation and being able to utilize old snowmaking tech that does better in warmer temps. Mount Snow not opening this past weekend probably had little to do with Vail and everything to do with the weather

Quote Originally Posted by icecoast1 View Post
    The same thing happened last year Pre-Vail. Mount Snow opened earlier than normal but after Killington. Mount Snow might have a bigger snowmaking system, but they are at a huge disadvantage compared to Killington in terms of temps, elevation and being able to utilize old snowmaking tech that does better in warmer temps. Mount Snow not opening this past weekend probably had little to do with Vail and everything to do with the weather
    100% agree

Thread Information