Except for Killington-very weak effort to get open - Page 8

AlpineZone

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckstah View Post
    Maybe? Mount Snow will have Freefall open Wednesday on the North Face. If they leave it ungroomed whales like 2 years ago, that will be the best open terrain and it's over 1000 vert. If they groom it, not so much.
    They were knocking down the whales on freefall today....

Yup, above freezing today, then a flash deep freeze tomorrow afternoon along with some snow. Had to knock the whales down today, then groom it out again after the freeze to limit the death cookie size...

Hopefully later this week they'll go guns on on either Plummet or Chute and keep it in its whale state for the weekend!
    Quote Originally Posted by icecoast1 View Post
    They were knocking down the whales on freefall today....
    Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days '07-'19 seasons: 612 Days

'19 - '20 season:

November: 16.17,23,29,30 (Mount Snow)
    December: 1,7 (Mount Snow)

Quote Originally Posted by chuckstah View Post
    Maybe? Mount Snow will have Freefall open Wednesday on the North Face. If they leave it ungroomed whales like 2 years ago, that will be the best open terrain and it's over 1000 vert. If they groom it, not so much.
    You like skiing whales? I hate that shit..

Quote Originally Posted by bdfreetuna View Post
    You like skiing whales? I hate that shit..
    Love it, as long as they're not a block of ice, and it's certainly better than having everything open groomed out flat as a pancake.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using AlpineZone mobile app

Hunter blew whales on Anapurna once that were insane..weird place to do it though.
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

I guess most of my Whale experience is blocks of ice. At least flat pancakes I can work on my technique. Problem with whales is you can't see over them so it's slow-go.

Just realized "Canyon" and "Cascade" are the same trail. Add Freefall and that's basically 2 runs. River Run counts as a 1/2 run.

Really hoping they open Long John for Thursday! It's all about building up those thighs for the main season though..

You need a few things to enjoy skiing snowmaking whales...

1. Good light (can't be cloudy)
    2. Consistent snow conditions (not have ice on the back sides of those things)
    3. Quite a few previous runs on the trail so you know where everything is

I've "skied" some 12-15 footers at Mount Snow, Windham, and Killington. "Ski" is a relative term...when they're that big you're just going up and over them like a roller coaster. It's a lot of fun once you get comfortable if there's not much else to ski.

I'd prefer whales to groomed flat this time of year. Nice way to switch things up.
    2019-2020 2 days and counting...
    Killington: 11/15 Mount Snow: 11/27
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

Quote Originally Posted by ss20 View Post
    You need a few things to enjoy skiing snowmaking whales...

1. Good light (can't be cloudy)
    2. Consistent snow conditions (not have ice on the back sides of those things)
    3. Quite a few previous runs on the trail so you know where everything is
    I had an unexpectedly good few runs last year when Sunday River was making snow on White Heat; the whales weren't entirely consistent, but they were acting as effective wind-interruption devices, and if you could get into the pocket of soft, fresh manmade on each one, it made for some really fun turns. Having the pitch of an already-not-flat trail increased was a bonus, although it was a bit unnerving on the first run to let myself get light over the top and aim for a landing on the back of each whale.
    Disclaimer: Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself, unless I'm saying something incredibly dumb, in which case I didn't say anything and you're hallucinating.

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter...
    Quote Originally Posted by kingslug View Post
    Hunter blew whales on Anapurna once that were insane..weird place to do it though.
    I remember that. It was 2016 I think. Looked like a Dr. Seuss Story...

Looks like this thread is moot. Mount Snow is opening tomorrow.

https://www.wcax.com/content/news/Mo...564822261.html
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Thread Information