9% NH Lift Ticket tax - now, back to our show - Page 4

AlpineZone

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 37 of 37
  1. #31
    JimG.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Hopewell Jct., NY
    Posts
    10,389
    Quote Originally Posted by MEtoVTSkier View Post
    And while at it... eliminate the possibility of spouses of previous Presidents running for high offices too. 330M people in this country, we can do much better than the possibility of the same couple residing in office for 16 years. Rosalynn Carter, Hillary Clinton, Laura Bush, and Michelle Obama DO NOT need to run for President or Vice-President.
    Got busy finishing up winterizing but I thought of the family limitation as I was outside working.



    Totally agree, 2 terms per family as a rule.

    We don't need any former president's kids, brothers, sisters, cousins or in-laws in office either.
    Last edited by JimG.; Nov 9, 2019 at 6:26 PM.

  2. #32
    To me, tax policy should be both consistent and competitive. Lift tickets shouldn't be taxed any differently than other services in the state. And the State should be mindful of the total tax burden for a ski area (or any business) relative to bordering states - including property taxes, workman's comp, etc. Those vary quite a bit state to state.

    Nationally I also like the idea of term limits, but with a twist. Don't prohibit a wildly popular senator from multiple terms, ie do not outlaw competence - but raise the performance standard. So the first two terms you need 50% +1 of the vote to win. On the third term, 55% is required. 4th term, 60%. 5th term, 65%.

    Patrick Leahy, Senator from VT, has been in office since 1975, and is the most senor Senator. In 2022 if he runs again for a 7th term, he would need 75% of the vote to hold his seat.

    While the President has the bully pulpit and can veto a bill, it is Congress that sets the budget and makes appropriations. The deficit is really Congress's fault. Congress can't even pass a budget; we now live on continuing resolutions, like a 12 year old that can't make his allowance last.

  3. #33
    JimG.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Hopewell Jct., NY
    Posts
    10,389
    Quote Originally Posted by mister moose View Post
    To me, tax policy should be both consistent and competitive. Lift tickets shouldn't be taxed any differently than other services in the state. And the State should be mindful of the total tax burden for a ski area (or any business) relative to bordering states - including property taxes, workman's comp, etc. Those vary quite a bit state to state.

    Nationally I also like the idea of term limits, but with a twist. Don't prohibit a wildly popular senator from multiple terms, ie do not outlaw competence - but raise the performance standard. So the first two terms you need 50% +1 of the vote to win. On the third term, 55% is required. 4th term, 60%. 5th term, 65%.

    Patrick Leahy, Senator from VT, has been in office since 1975, and is the most senor Senator. In 2022 if he runs again for a 7th term, he would need 75% of the vote to hold his seat.

    While the President has the bully pulpit and can veto a bill, it is Congress that sets the budget and makes appropriations. The deficit is really Congress's fault. Congress can't even pass a budget; we now live on continuing resolutions, like a 12 year old that can't make his allowance last.
    I like that type of variation.

    I agree we don't want to outlaw competence; but since there is no competence I can see anywhere right now I didn't think of it.

  4. #34
    While it’s nice in theory to set the hypothetical high bar for leahy, losing at 74%-26% means Vermont would wind up with a senator with no popular mandate whatsoever. maybe you can set a higher bar for a primary, but in a general this would result in very unrepresentative people in office

  5. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by KustyTheKlown View Post
    While it’s nice in theory to set the hypothetical high bar for leahy, losing at 74%-26% means Vermont would wind up with a senator with no popular mandate whatsoever. maybe you can set a higher bar for a primary, but in a general this would result in very unrepresentative people in office
    The fix for Kusty's problem is to have a new candidate slate WITHOUT the incumbent and re-run the election. Should they fail to get the required percent in a primary, it would be fairly easy and quick to hold a second primary to garner the required replacement.

    I like many of the ideas that this thread has come up with, and do agree that Congress has done a terrible job with budgets (both parties).

  6. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    Money waste is most certainly a bipartisan issue.

    Term limits my friends. We need them more now than ever. 2 terms max for president and it should be the same for the house and senate. I would apply the rule to any bureaucratic positions as well.

    The only way to fix government today is to eliminate career politicians/bureaucrats.

    Completely agree but the same career politicians would have to vote for this and will never happen because they will never vote to give up power or status.

  7. #37
    JimG.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Hopewell Jct., NY
    Posts
    10,389
    Quote Originally Posted by icecoast1 View Post
    Completely agree but the same career politicians would have to vote for this and will never happen because they will never vote to give up power or status.
    It's crazy; year after year of the same old same old.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 4:52 PM.