• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Major storm coming?

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
My choice is between Mount Snow and Killington Friday to open up my season. Mount Snow is $39, Killington is "free" as I have a pass. 3 hours to Mount Snow, 3.5 hours to K.

Terrain is a toss-up. At this point in the year I really just want variety (not skiing the same trail over and over). 3 ttb routes at Mount Snow (plus maybe one trail in Carinthia) is very enticing but I'm sure they will all be groomed flat. Killington has the 1,600vert Snowdon route for long laps with Rime, Reason/Upper East Fall, Upper Double Dipper, and Downdraft Headwall. Maybe FIS will open as it's getting snow-love. Maybe Upper Ridge Run if this storm stays snow tonight. Kzone says there are natural bumps on the Canyon lift side of Upper Double Dipper.

Leaning heavily towards Killington right now. Thanks for reading my thinking-out-loud.

kingslug

Winter Storm Warning
[COLOR=#878787 !important]Northern Vermont[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#878787 !important]5 hours ago – National Weather Service[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#878787 !important]WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 PM ... Total snow accumulations of 7 to 12 inches, with locally higher amounts across the northwest slopes of the Adirondacks ..

Too bad nothing open up there..
[/COLOR]

urungus

My choice is between Mount Snow and Killington Friday to open up my season. Mount Snow is $39, Killington is "free" as I have a pass. 3 hours to Mount Snow, 3.5 hours to K.

Terrain is a toss-up. At this point in the year I really just want variety (not skiing the same trail over and over). 3 ttb routes at Mount Snow (plus maybe one trail in Carinthia) is very enticing but I'm sure they will all be groomed flat. Killington has the 1,600vert Snowdon route for long laps with Rime, Reason/Upper East Fall, Upper Double Dipper, and Downdraft Headwall. Maybe FIS will open as it's getting snow-love. Maybe Upper Ridge Run if this storm stays snow tonight. Kzone says there are natural bumps on the Canyon lift side of Upper Double Dipper.

Leaning heavily towards Killington right now. Thanks for reading my thinking-out-loud.

According to today’s Killington snow report “Snowmakers have their sights set on Snowdon for the next phase of terrain expansion with snow guns blasting on Lower Ridge Run, Mouse Run and Middle Bunny Buster.”

JimG.

Staff member
Was going to hit K today but snowfall was a total dud so going tomorrow instead for better weather and colder temps.

Hoping for some hardpack snow to test out new skis.

jimmywilson69

Doesn't appear to be hitting anywhere. Unless that forecast was for the impending upslope event. Which we all know is capable of dropping easily 8-12 on the Spine of the Green Mountains.