Sugarbush is being sold to Alterra... - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    I think the lift was installed in the mid 80's and as much as I'd like it not to be the case, that was a long time ago. So its pushing 40 years old. It is slow. The departure terminal is badly situated. A new quad like the valley house is coming hopefully sooner rather than later.
    Interesting comment about the departure terminal. I've never really thought about that.

As for lift age, can you really still consider a lift 40 years old if the majority of the electronics and mechanical components have been replaced in the past 5 years (when it was rebuilt by Skytrac)? I agree at some point it needs replacement (let's say in the 5-10 year plan), but I just don't see that being considered a priority over other needs within the next couple years. Hawk's snowmaking plan to me should be at the top of the list. Maybe also some lodge additions/improvements (i.e. a mid-mountain lodge at the top of GH).

Quote Originally Posted by eastern powder baby View Post
    I was too young to follow the ASC antitrust issues, but it seems that it was argued that competition in very localized areas was no longer possible (e.g. the white mountains). I wish I could think of where I read it, but from what I remember, Vail and Alterra "own" a much smaller share of US skier visits than I world have thought.

Maybe the two mega companies own too much NH/VT market share to buy Jay Peak now, though?

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Perhaps there are antitrust concerns for Vail, but certainly not Alterra.

Alterra owns 2 resorts (pending the SB closing) in VT and 0 in NH.

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    Those old maps with the terrain above Inverness and down to Lower FIS looks great. Would make North feel as though it was equal size as South almost. ROI is the question of course

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app
    That kind of terrain expansion would be dope, but given the lack of crowds at North, how could they justify that investment? I would guess that crowds would have to increase substantially at North for that to be considered. Being unlimited on the Ikon pass could help a bit, but I still don't know if that would generate enough additional skier visits at North.

Those old maps with the terrain above Inverness and down to Lower FIS looks great. Would make North feel as though it was equal size as South almost. ROI is the question of course

interested. got any pics of said old maps?

i always eye that area above inverness. obviously skiable stuff.

edit: this?
    Last edited by KustyTheKlown; Nov 13, 2019 at 5:54 PM.

So does Alterra still make a legitimate offer on Jay Peak now?

I have mixed feelings long-term for SB being bought by Alterra. It's just crazy. Sugarbush was the last major mountain in the East not owned by a multi-mountain company. It's crazy how fast times changed compared to five...ten years ago. *assuming Jay goes to a big company which I'd bet my house on.

In the short-term...how many of my future children do I need to sell to Alterra to get an unlimited Vermont Sugarbush/Killington-Pico/Stratton pass next season???

Correction- Bretton Woods is still a major player who's independent.
    2019-2020 2 days and counting...
    Killington: 11/15 Mount Snow: 11/27
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

Quote Originally Posted by VTKilarney View Post
    So does Alterra still make a legitimate offer on Jay Peak now?
    How can they not? Alterra and Vail are running out of major real estate to purchase.
    2019-2020 2 days and counting...
    Killington: 11/15 Mount Snow: 11/27
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

Smuggs is still independent. Waterville too. I guess you could say Saddleback as well

Quote Originally Posted by KustyTheKlown View Post
    interested. got any pics of said old maps?

i always eye that area above inverness. obviously skiable stuff.

edit: this?
    That's partially it, but the image I'm thinking of was a master plan document. It had a lift and trail pod heading down to Lower FIS from Tumbler and then something similar to that trail map you posted with a lift and trails above Inverness. Think the same graphic had other lifts and trails on Lincoln as well. It's been posted on here before, but I'm not seeing it in a Google images search

That's partially it, but the image I'm thinking of was a master plan document. It had a lift and trail pod heading down to Lower FIS from Tumbler and then something similar to that trail map you posted with a lift and trails above Inverness. Think the same graphic had other lifts and trails on Lincoln as well. It's been posted on here before, but I'm not seeing it in a Google images search
    This?
    SB ME Expansion.jpg

Thread Information