Sugarbush is being sold to Alterra... - Page 4

AlpineZone

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    That's it. Do you have the Lincoln one as well?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by tumbler View Post
    Id like the lodge at the top of Gatehouse, gondola cabins on Slide Brook and terrain expansion at North. And snowmaking.
    No way you ever get Gondola cabins on Slidebrook. Remember that is what Les wanted in the first place and the locals shot that down as an eye sore. You'd be hard pressed to hang cabins on the current line with the height clearance over the ground. I think what you might see is it converted to heated bubble quad, with a chair barn on the Lincoln side.

But the truth is, pay attention to Win's punch list (I remember reading one not too long ago). IIRC it included lodge rebuilds/replacements, snowmaking water pump increases and I think Super Bravo to a six. Later, I could maybe see Gatehouse also considered for a 6 and HG and Ellen Summit Quad replacements. But I think this is the initial direction they take. The slidebrook thing at the start of this, that's pie in the sky stuff.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    The new owners have easier access to capital. I bet there's a new HG chair and significant snowmaking improvements, and two new lodges at mount ellen, and a new health club and hotel.
    all of this stuff is well needed. While they are at it, build a nice spa for my wife.

Quote Originally Posted by tumbler View Post
    Id like the lodge at the top of Gatehouse, gondola cabins on Slide Brook and terrain expansion at North. And snowmaking.
    yes, gondola cabins on SB would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    Interesting comment about the departure terminal. I've never really thought about that.

As for lift age, can you really still consider a lift 40 years old if the majority of the electronics and mechanical components have been replaced in the past 5 years (when it was rebuilt by Skytrac)? I agree at some point it needs replacement (let's say in the 5-10 year plan), but I just don't see that being considered a priority over other needs within the next couple years. Hawk's snowmaking plan to me should be at the top of the list. Maybe also some lodge additions/improvements (i.e. a mid-mountain lodge at the top of GH).
    I didnt mean to imply Id prioritize a new hg lift over snowmaking, only that there are issues with the current lift and, like you said, its going to need to be replaced anyway in the next 5-10 years. Also, new lifts and lodges are shinier objects than bigger pipes and pumps.
    as for the terminus, getting off the lift and then making a left turn up a hill to get to the traverse, is less than ideal. Its a struggle especially for the visiting vacation skiers. It would probably be better if the lift ended up where the old gondola was, although that might have wind issues.

Quote Originally Posted by djd66 View Post
    all of this stuff is well needed. While they are at it, build a nice spa for my wife.
    totally. The sharc is ancient. No reason they couldn’t put a hotel and spa there.

Does alterra have a history of big investment after a new acquisition? I got to sugarbush last year and my thought was that the infrastructure was in great shape, I admittedly only skied south though. I would think alterra funds would be better spent on additional acquisitions, closer to population centers, if their goal is to sell more ikon passes in the east.
    The true happiness of a man can be found in the mastery of his passions.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigo View Post
    Does alterra have a history of big investment after a new acquisition? I got to sugarbush last year and my thought was that the infrastructure was in great shape, I admittedly only skied south though. I would think alterra funds would be better spent on additional acquisitions, closer to population centers, if their goal is to sell more ikon passes in the east.
    Jay is one close to a major population center...Montreal. Alterra already has Tremblant. I think Jay makes a ton of sense for Ikon.

As for SB, I hope they invest heavily in snowmaking first. With climate change and the temp swings we've been experiencing they need to be able to recover quickly after a warm spell. New lifts are great, and added terrain even better but none of that matters if the snow is lousy, or not there.

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    I didn’t mean to imply I’d prioritize a new hg lift over snowmaking, only that there are issues with the current lift and, like you said, it’s going to need to be replaced anyway in the next 5-10 years. Also, new lifts and lodges are shinier objects than bigger pipes and pumps.
    as for the terminus, getting off the lift and then making a left turn up a hill to get to the traverse, is less than ideal. It’s a struggle especially for the visiting “vacation” skiers. It would probably be better if the lift ended up where the old gondola was, although that might have wind issues.
    Ahh...when you said "departure" I was thinking the lower terminus (i.e. when the lift first "takes off"). Yea, the top is a bit of a challenge with having to go uphill a bit, but wind is a major reason HG didn't terminate at the old gondola summit. I'll take the trade-off of a little extra exercise vs a lift that goes on wind hold more often.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigo View Post
    Yea, there's a lot of people with very big (and unrealistic imo) dreams here. I don't see Alterra coming in and spending massive amounts of money. I suspect you continue to see incremental improvements of 1 or 2 things a year similar to what was done in the past except at possibly a slightly accelerated rate. The needed snowmaking upgrades alone that are on Win's plan would require significant capital investment. Alterra isn't going to make the mistake of trying to do too much too quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    Yea, there's a lot of people with very big (and unrealistic imo) dreams here. I don't see Alterra coming in and spending massive amounts of money. I suspect you continue to see incremental improvements of 1 or 2 things a year similar to what was done in the past except at possibly a slightly accelerated rate. The needed snowmaking upgrades alone that are on Win's plan would require significant capital investment. Alterra isn't going to make the mistake of trying to do too much too quickly.
    There's just so much you can afford to do on 400,000 skier visits and a flat growth curve.

Thread Information