• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarbush is being sold to Alterra...

cdskier

I have special sympathies because I married Puerto Rican, and her some of her friends started skiing and snowboarding after I taught my wife. So you get the perspective of a real "outsider" to the entire culture and with no families ties, etc.

If they were your wife's friends though and started after you got your wife into the sport, shouldn't you or your wife have been helping them know how to get deals? :smile:

BenedictGomez

How many people on their own really jump into skiing with doing no research or not talking to anyone? I'd like to think most people either get introduced to the sport by parents, family or friends.

I cant give you an answer in percentage terms, but there really are plenty of adults & groups who show up at the hill with literally no experience. Back in the sticker days, I voluntarily put plenty of lift tickets on "non-children" because I knew if I didn't I'd just be reprinting the tickets!

EDIT: Then there's the scores of tickets I clipped off because I noticed they put the wicket around the jacket's main zipper. The face-flapper special as I called it.

BenedictGomez

Hopefully a surviving niche. Also Magic, Pico (sorta), Middlebury.

The Plattekill, Magic, MRG, Mont Sutton, and BV's of the world are my favorite places to ski. I havent been to BV in years, I need to return. I skied Sundance this year & loved it, same reason as all the aforementioned.

WWF-VT

Does Bush still have the never ever skied person purchase 2/3 or 4 lessons and get a season pass included? Was that way at least for kids under a certain age a while ago.

First Timer to Life Timer Program: for ages 13+

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.sugarbush.com/plan/deals/first-timer-to-life-timer-program/[/FONT]

Edd

I cant give you an answer in percentage terms, but there really are plenty of adults & groups who show up at the hill with literally no experience. Back in the sticker days, I voluntarily put plenty of lift tickets on "non-children" because I knew if I didn't I'd just be reprinting the tickets!

EDIT: Then there's the scores of tickets I clipped off because I noticed they put the wicket around the jacket's main zipper. The face-flapper special as I called it.

So you’re basing this on your Stowe employee days some time ago (15-ish years?). I’d think the most cursory research would show the cheapest deal.

The beginner skier experience looks so unpleasant with rental equipment, wasted time, and awkward fittings. Cheap and easy is the way to grow the sport. I just don’t know how that gets done.

KustyTheKlown

that sugarbush first timer to life timer was amazing for my ex-girlfriend. she went from being someone who had never skied before, to being someone who goes on vacation to banff, long after we broke up. it was absurdly affordable, i want to say it was under $300 for a sequence of lessons with rentals that resulted in a free season pass after she completed the lesson sequence.

agreed that mt ellen should be kept rustic forever.

cdskier

So you’re basing this on your Stowe employee days some time ago (15-ish years?). I’d think the most cursory research would show the cheapest deal.

I was thinking that too. Now information is available literally in the palm of your hand with everyone having smartphones. I'm sure BG is right that there are some completely clueless people that are too lazy to do any research at all, but I also suspect that number is lower today than it was in the past when he last worked at a resort.

I know I mentioned this at some point in the past in another thread a long time ago, but I'd be curious to know the breakdown of "how" people enter the sport. What percent is introduced by their parents and start at a young age? What percent are introduced by friends (that can teach them how to look for deals)? What percent jump into it completely on their own? I'd think the first scenario is the largest followed by the second and finally the third. I started at a later age (freshman in HS), but it was still my dad that took me skiing and got me hooked (he just got back into the sport at that point after taking a break for ~20 years or so).

We love to say "how will new people enter the sport with these prices", but honestly, has anyone noticed how insanely popular the ski school programs are today? If we can keep those kids in the sport as they age, that's a very good start for sustainability. (I'm not saying we should ignore trying to get others in the sport that aren't introduced by their parents, but I also question if the outlook is as bleak as some predict. And the programs for others are out there, we just need to market them and educate people about them)

WinS

I can understand the added terrain above inverness. I would like to see that. I have no interest in putting trails and lifts in slide brook. We already ski that. Why ruin it for the people that actually enjoy less crowded areas. No need for lifts there and no need to dumb it down for the masses.

Nothing can ever get done in Slidebrook. That was part of the permit restriction when Les put in the SB express.

BenedictGomez

I was thinking that too. Now information is available literally in the palm of your hand with everyone having smartphones. I'm sure BG is right that there are some completely clueless people that are too lazy to do any research at all, but I also suspect that number is lower today than it was in the past when he last worked at a resort.

How old do you think I am? This was long after Al Gore invented the internet. I never had to hitch my horse to a post or re-tie leather bindings when I worked at Stowe.

hub8

How old do you think I am? This was long after Al Gore invented the internet. I never had to hitch my horse to a post or re-tie leather bindings when I worked at Stowe.
Your last sentence cracked me up [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

cdskier

I suspected you're around my age honestly (mid to late 30s). A lot has changed in just the last 5-10 years though.

slatham

Although these 3 are part of a mini conglomerate, the "Fairbanks Pass" is not competitive, it only offers 1 ticket at the other 2 non home resorts. They do offer 15 bucks off a ticket at a bunch of other independents.

They need to change this model next season and offer a few more tickets at the very least

Agree the options to ski the other resorts are weak (though improving every year) but Bromley for instance is very much a locals and second homeowner/renter Mountian. I am not sure people would take advantage of skiing the other, relatively small areas. I for one drive past Jiminy on every trip and have never been tempted to ski it again. The bigger question is whether they get on one of the other passes.

Smellytele

After the first year of skiing for these newbies how many return for the second year when the discounts go away?

Also how has the seasonal rentals but affected by VRBO? Have seasonal rental rates gone up? We used to do seasonal rentals in Jackson/North Conway back in the early 90's and now see week long rentals going for about 1/2 that. So 2 weeks of rentals bring in the same amount of what we used to pay for Nov 15-April 15.

WinS

B&B and VRBO have definitely taken seasonal rentals off the market which makes it harder for both guests and employees to find housing in the Valley. It has, however, opened more beds to day skiers. So this is a mixed blessing. It is a reason why we are having to find or build employee housing. This years we have around 130 beds available for employees and some more through our Tenant for Turns program.

Hawk

Win, is Friday going to be Sugarbush season pass holders only or both Sugarbush and Ikon passes? I have a friend with me this weekend who wants ski Friday.

Steve

WWF-VT

Win, is Friday going to be Sugarbush season pass holders only or both Sugarbush and Ikon passes? I have a friend with me this weekend who wants ski Friday.

Steve

I hope and expect it's just for Sugarbush season pass holders

WinS

Steve

Yes. We will accept Ikon Passes on Friday. We believe that with both Valley House and Gate House going we will have enough lift capacity and terrain of open to both Sugarbush and Ikon Passholders. The forecast is looking a bit funky at this point, but hopefully we see snow on the mountain Friday am even if there is some rain in the Valley.