• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarbush is being sold to Alterra...

machski

Killingtime

The past few years have been interesting with all the consolidations. I've been reading Chris Diamond's two books; Ski, Inc and Ski, Inc 2020 recently . He was the guy who ran Mt Snow and then Steamboat for many years. He pretty much predicted this coming but not at the pace it has been happening. The Epic and Ikon pass products have changed everything. Who's next? At some point I can see Boyne merging with Alterra. Jay will be interesting too. I wonder when the anti-trust stuff starts to kick in though.

EPB

I found it LOL amusing in parts.

We're selling Sugarbush because of Climate Change.

Oh, and also because State of Vermont will kill any business with fire.
Brilliant. How could you possibly blame a guy for selling his business when it's going to be vaporized by the sun monster? Better still, some PE firm will get stuck holding the bag!

Joking aside, I'm sure the price was right. Always a good idea to consider selling in the midst of an arms race. Also sounds like he's sick of dealing with VT.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app

Jcb890

The past few years have been interesting with all the consolidations. I've been reading Chris Diamond's two books; Ski, Inc and Ski, Inc 2020 recently . He was the guy who ran Mt Snow and then Steamboat for many years. He pretty much predicted this coming but not at the pace it has been happening. The Epic and Ikon pass products have changed everything. Who's next? At some point I can see Boyne merging with Alterra. Jay will be interesting too. I wonder when the anti-trust stuff starts to kick in though.
Just a guess, but probably not until you see the ideas of Boyne and Alterra merging or Vail taking over everything. There aren't any monopolies currently because there are multiple groups doing it.

EPB

Just a guess, but probably not until you see the ideas of Boyne and Alterra merging or Vail taking over everything. There aren't any monopolies currently because there are multiple groups doing it.
I was too young to follow the ASC antitrust issues, but it seems that it was argued that competition in very localized areas was no longer possible (e.g. the white mountains). I wish I could think of where I read it, but from what I remember, Vail and Alterra "own" a much smaller share of US skier visits than I world have thought.

Maybe the two mega companies own too much NH/VT market share to buy Jay Peak now, though? [emoji848]

Hawk

So my friends were not so off the mark. Actually I heard more thought better of saying anything. I find it somewhat disappointing but I guess like Machski is saying, they are the better fit. We will see.

Now I have a new owner that I can badger with my snowmaking wants! LOL

hovercraft

It’s a great happening IMO. Hard to compete as an independent these days. New chair for heavens gate please, then grant Hawks wish for snowmaking....... let the games begin........

drjeff

I was too young to follow the ASC antitrust issues, but it seems that it was argued that competition in very localized areas was no longer possible (e.g. the white mountains). I wish I could think of where I read it, but from what I remember, Vail and Alterra "own" a much smaller share of US skier visits than I world have thought.

Maybe the two mega companies own too much NH/VT market share to buy Jay Peak now, though? [emoji848]

Per numbers in the already mentioned in this thread book by Chris Diamond, Ski Inc. 2020 (which as an FYI is a very interesting read for anyone with some interest in the modern business of the ski industry and the rise of the mega passes) that Alterra and Vail resorts and their owned and/or partner properties are now accounting for around 50% of total ski visits annually.

I think the anti trust difference today vs in the ASC era has a bit to do with the changes in federal regulatory oversight as well as that Alterra and Vail Resorts as well as other players like Boyne in one sense offset each other more so than Intrawest at the time offset what ASC had

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

cdskier

It’s a great happening IMO. Hard to compete as an independent these days. New chair for heavens gate please, then grant Hawks wish for snowmaking....... let the games begin........

I don't really see a HG replacement as a priority considering all the work they put into it a few years ago. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd rather see them focus on Hawk's snowmaking upgrade first.

HowieT2

I don't really see a HG replacement as a priority considering all the work they put into it a few years ago. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd rather see them focus on Hawk's snowmaking upgrade first.

The new owners have easier access to capital. I bet there's a new HG chair and significant snowmaking improvements, and two new lodges at mount ellen, and a new health club and hotel.

tumbler

I’d like the lodge at the top of Gatehouse, gondola cabins on Slide Brook and terrain expansion at North. And snowmaking.

hovercraft

I think they need both. It’s really a bad lift and snowmaking is a big part of the game. Especially after a rain event. Need to rebound quickly....

cdskier

I think they need both. It’s really a bad lift and snowmaking is a big part of the game. Especially after a rain event. Need to rebound quickly....

Curious what you think is so bad about HG? Reliability has not been an issue at all the past couple seasons. Capacity I wouldn't want to see increased as I don't think the trails at the summit could handle more traffic. It is on wind hold enough as is, so no way you'd want to go to a detachable and make it even worse in the wind.

HowieT2

Curious what you think is so bad about HG? Reliability has not been an issue at all the past couple seasons. Capacity I wouldn't want to see increased as I don't think the trails at the summit could handle more traffic. It is on wind hold enough as is, so no way you'd want to go to a detachable and make it even worse in the wind.

I think the lift was installed in the mid 80's and as much as I'd like it not to be the case, that was a long time ago. So its pushing 40 years old. It is slow. The departure terminal is badly situated. A new quad like the valley house is coming hopefully sooner rather than later.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I’d like the lodge at the top of Gatehouse, gondola cabins on Slide Brook and terrain expansion at North. And snowmaking.
Those old maps with the terrain above Inverness and down to Lower FIS looks great. Would make North feel as though it was equal size as South almost. ROI is the question of course

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app