• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Thread for debate about what right for customer VS resorts

bdfreetuna

Dude is high as a kite

Nope. Unless you want to levy an accusation of culturally appropriating Ebonics?

I just got an email from Stowe about Epic Day Passes. I checked it out. Non-holiday "4 pack" is $411.

That got me thinking about some folks mentioning skiing as a "luxury" (and should be treated as such) in recent threads.

To me this is completely against the root culture of skiing, although last night watching the Warren Miller movie and seeing a bunch of rich, white, no-job-having, hipster assholes act like they're some New Age Buddha of immaturity between skiing untracked heli powder, I realized the real ski bums are losing this battle.

Corporations want you to look up to these model-esque, constantly laughing, bums with all their Helly Hanson gear and extreme image... don't forget the mandatory climate change segment while these hypocrites are driving and flying all over the world to ski exclusive lines (and the snow is deeper than ever).

More power to the Indy Pass and the little guys. Bolton for $49 or Stowe for $130 is a really easy choice for me.

I used to do as much backpacking as skiing, so I guess I have the mindset that the mountains really belong to everyone, as a gift from our Creator, and we ought to be good stewards as such. Certainly not make it an exclusive (ie expensive) club to participate as such.

Imagine if prices went down, we'd actually have room to open a few new ski resorts in New England. I can think of a few good mountains and it would be my dream to cut those trails!

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Corporations want you to look up to these model-esque, constantly laughing, bums with all their Helly Hanson gear and extreme image... don't forget the mandatory climate change segment while these hypocrites are driving and flying all over the world to ski exclusive lines (and the snow is deeper than ever).

Ughh..... WM went back to this political nonsense?

They got a lot of blowback about 3 or 4 years ago from the Global Warming segment & havent stuffed one down our throats since that time, so I had assumed they'd listened.

bdfreetuna

It wasn't as bad as I'd seen before. They did a segment at Eldora Mountain in CO and had the founder (and sucker for hoaxes) of Protect Our Winters do a little segment.

Meanwhile the entire movie was deep ass powder worldwide, so IDK.

The movie was very stereotypical hipster BS, 100% powder and big mountain skiing besides a couple brief segments.

Kind of reinforced why I love Eastern skiing. There was literally zero skiing like Eastern trees or even Japanese glades. They had some dude from Vermont skiing in BC and made fun of a chunk of ice calling it "this is what we call packed powder back east :lol: "

To me one big ass steep powder slope with no trees looks like all the others. I think they could have replaced the Parasail-ski segment (or whatever its called when you ski with a parachute and fly down the mountain) with more realistic skiing like moguls, tight woods, sketchy conditions, rocks and ice, etc.

I'm pretty sure Whiteface slides are Warren Miller worthy but I guess that's not what sells.

Best part of the movie was the Glenn Plake segment on Ski Patrol

Last edited:

1dog

Nope. Unless you want to levy an accusation of culturally appropriating Ebonics?

I just got an email from Stowe about Epic Day Passes. I checked it out. Non-holiday "4 pack" is $411.

That got me thinking about some folks mentioning skiing as a "luxury" (and should be treated as such) in recent threads.

To me this is completely against the root culture of skiing, although last night watching the Warren Miller movie and seeing a bunch of rich, white, no-job-having, hipster assholes act like they're some New Age Buddha of immaturity between skiing untracked heli powder, I realized the real ski bums are losing this battle.

More power to the Indy Pass and the little guys. Bolton for $49 or Stowe for $130 is a really easy choice for me.

I used to do as much backpacking as skiing, so I guess I have the mindset that the mountains really belong to everyone, as a gift from our Creator, and we ought to be good stewards as such. Certainly not make it an exclusive (ie expensive) club to participate as such.

Imagine if prices went down, we'd actually have room to open a few new ski resorts in New England. I can think of a few good mountains and it would be my dream to cut those trails!

good sentiment - agree - you'll never see another resort cut with the legal hurdles in courts - but 1st you'd need demand -

I've been hiking/climbing for 40 years and bc for 10 - far more cars and people in the woods than ever before - price? Maybe. Solitude? Maybe. satisfaction of accomplishment? Absolutely.

BTW - I had to call out Plake as I cut off to Lions Head Trail maybe 6 or 7 years ago - recognized him w hat on but hair hanging out on side of the hat - he had no skis on his back. I just had to. . .and he skampered up Tuckerman Trail without a word.

2 hours later he BLEW past me on Little Headwall - yeah well , if I had a sherpa I coulda kept up with you!. . . Sure, I believe it. . . . .. NOT.

BenedictGomez

The WM movies in general have really gone downhill (no pun intended) since Clan Miller's departure some years ago. The overt product placement has grown out-of-control to the point where entire "segments" have nothing to do with skiing or snowboarding, but are merely an excuse to show off a product. The most ridiculous example of that being a travel camper in a recent year's film. WM would never have tolerated politics in his films either.

Agree about the skiing too, would it KILL them to do more eastern stuff? Even one segment every 2 years would be nice. Really the films have become just so "rinse-repeat" each year, gee, I wonder if they're going to use the same 2 helicopter companies (Mike Wiegele Heli & I forget the other one) for the 950th year in a row? I may not even make it this year, if I do I think it will be the first WM film I miss in about 15 years.

thetrailboss

Staff member
No more WM for us. The 2017 movie was complete shit. The 2015 one was good, but the product placement, complete douchiness, and lack of quality in the 2017 one has turned me off for good. Not to mention the incessant Emails I get from them pushing the movie and other crap.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Yes they suck lately ...ok for a while but I simply go for the free stuff and a night out with the family . It's kind of tradition ,But I wince through some segments . I literally close my eyes through some parts as the maximum 3 second scene changes bug me. They seem to try to cram too many locations into a short period .

Is there a competing organization out there? There is a market as the producers have gotten lazy .

Smellytele

Last years wasn't as bad as some of the previous years as they did a long segment on Warren himself as a tribute to him after he had died in January.
The placement of the motorcycle and trailer commercials are hard to watch.
As SBSP mentioned above I also go for the free stuff and a night out with the family. Although my wife has now said she hates going to see people ski at places we will never ski at for the most part. She says she hates going so I could bring my girlfriend instead (joke).

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yes they suck lately ...ok for a while but I simply go for the free stuff and a night out with the family . It's kind of tradition ,But I wince through some segments . I literally close my eyes through some parts as the maximum 3 second scene changes bug me. They seem to try to cram too many locations into a short period .

Is there a competing organization out there? There is a market as the producers have gotten lazy .

The "free stuff" sucked in 2017. Hence another reason why we are not going. However, I do know that in other regions the free ticket deals are better.

thetrailboss

Staff member

Overall, I like TGR. Last year's movie was a bit of a dud though (the plot was "we went to this exotic location, the weather sucked, we spend 2/3 of the movie talking about how the weather sucked, then we got a decent day").

We tried the Matchstick Productions show last year and we were pretty disappointed. They spent more time patting themselves on the back and talking about how awesome they were than the movie itself.

I miss Meatheads, mainly because they went to so many cool NE resorts and destinations.

raisingarizona

I must be getting old because ski movies just aren’t that interesting to me any more. I saw a Warren Miller movie over the last ten years or so, it wasn’t terrible, maybe a bit too long imo and their editing can be super A.D.D inducing with quick 3 second clips not showing landings or whatever.

20 something years ago we called it “Boring Filler”.

I saw this years TGR flick and I thought it was really good. It’s all the same stuff over and over again though but I’m definitely that cynical middle aged guy these days.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
The "free stuff" sucked in 2017. Hence another reason why we are not going. However, I do know that in other regions the free ticket deals are better.

Quite a few Pocono ski passes as door prizes . The Free stuff wasn't bad Killington , Sugarbush passes and Elk witch is blacked out for most of the season . My friends started a tradition of an small Elk get together witch has grown to about 14 people .

The film was better this year as far as the amount of 3 second scene changes but yea got a chuckle about the climate change lecture then all the Jet A used.

BenedictGomez

Okay, about 5 people have used the term, "3 second scene change" as a negative, and even though I see the WM flic every year, I have no idea what this means.

Can someone fill me in?

BenedictGomez

got a chuckle about the climate change lecture then all the Jet A used.

If you genuinely believe in the science behind global warming, and you genuinely believe it's a real & a serious problem, then there's dang-near no industry more "harmful" to your beliefs than the ski industry. Thus the absolute hypocrisy of things like Protect Our Winters & WM & a resort like Arapahoe Basin that virtue signals non-stop; it really is positively staggering.

But hey, let's chastise everyone for being "not good enough" about Climate Change, than shoot for 12 days with multiple helicopters flying TWO (yes....really) people to remote peaks for a total of 6 minutes of footage!!!!!

#HowDumbDoYouThinkWeAre?

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Okay, about 5 people have used the term, "3 second scene change" as a negative, and even though I see the WM flic every year, I have no idea what this means.

Can someone fill me in?

I might have started the complaint. "Scene" Beautiful mountain background , guy getting face shot 3 seconds ."Bang" now were cliff drop somewhere else 3 seconds . Then ........... ect.

They jump from scene to scene too quickly . Slow the scene changes , show the guy eat it before the scene changes everyone knows he crashed . Show a little more humanity vs perfect everything.

bdfreetuna

Scotty must be thrilled his 2nd thread in a row got sidetracked ;)

One plus side to watching the Warren Miller movie was my wife is no longer bugging me to ski France and Switzerland :lol:

Warren Miller has some competition ie Matchstick Productions and Teton Gravity Research. I've enjoyed some of their movies a bit more, although you still get global warming segments.

The only ski films that actually interest me are whatever Ski The East puts out, formerly Meathead Films, and other Eastern US/Eastern Canada stuff on YouTube.

I can't stand these guys in their late 20's/30s+ who act like high school levels of maturity with the same trucker hats and hipster glasses. The ski girls tend to be pretty cute but as if they're on some permanent mental trip. I guess extreme skiing is pretty heady. Just strikes me as promoting a lifestyle of arrested development.

Pez

You all sound like a bunch of old men!

get off my lawn!

raisingarizona

Scotty must be thrilled his 2nd thread in a row got sidetracked ;)

One plus side to watching the Warren Miller movie was my wife is no longer bugging me to ski France and Switzerland :lol:

Warren Miller has some competition ie Matchstick Productions and Teton Gravity Research. I've enjoyed some of their movies a bit more, although you still get global warming segments.

The only ski films that actually interest me are whatever Ski The East puts out, formerly Meathead Films, and other Eastern US/Eastern Canada stuff on YouTube.

I can't stand these guys in their late 20's/30s+ who act like high school levels of maturity with the same trucker hats and hipster glasses. The ski girls tend to be pretty cute but as if they're on some permanent mental trip. I guess extreme skiing is pretty heady. Just strikes me as promoting a lifestyle of arrested development.

Those damn kids in their trucker hats and hipster glasses really grind my gears! They should be wearing jorts and white new balance shoes proving some maturity!