• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Boston Ski Expo

Whitey

Went for the 1st night last night. Well attended, good time. You could tell everyone was pumped for the upcoming season. I didn't think the deals on ski gear were that great but some of the lift tix deals were OK. They were offering:

• 4 pack of mt sno/attitash/wildcat/crotched tix good anytime for $199
  • 3 pack of loon/sunday river/s'loaf tix good anytime for $239
  • 3 pack of Killington tix good anytime for $236
  • 3 pack of Cannon tix good anytime for $169
  • 4 pack of Ragged tix good anytime for $189

There's probably more that I missed from this list.

There were a lot of Ikon and Epic pass stuff/representation. I was surprised to see some of the non-New England ski areas there. Hokaido Japan had a big booth. Portillo Chile was there. Lots of Canadian areas. Big Sky was there, Ski Utah, and bunch of other western ski areas. They were all advertising some decent packages (flight, lodging, lift tix).

I am probably not going to be able to do a western trip this season so no Ikon or Epic for me this year. I just went with a couple of the mt sno/wildcat/etc passes and got my CHAD ski and ride card. I've done OK getting my avg tix price down to $50 or less with those in the past.

Good scene. Just wandering around and checking stuff out is cool. Recommend going if you can make it.

bdfreetuna

Nothing I'm too excited about on that list, but I'll be there tomorrow morning.

Might think about that Cannon 3 pack just because I really want my wife to go there this winter, and I wouldn't mind having an extra day. Kind of my new favorite place..

Did you see if Gore was handing out BOGOs?

Whitey

Nothing I'm too excited about on that list, but I'll be there tomorrow morning.

Might think about that Cannon 3 pack just because I really want my wife to go there this winter, and I wouldn't mind having an extra day. Kind of my new favorite place..

Did you see if Gore was handing out BOGOs?

Gore was there, right next to whiteface. I didn't check out the Gore deals, sorry.

bdfreetuna

Welp, won a Gunstock lift ticket. That was the highlight. Got a Cannon 3 pack and a Gore 2-for-1. Oh yeah Ride and Ski Card with a Magic ticket.

Stratton had $49 midweek and $59 weekend tickets. Bolton Valley had $99 3-packs.

pauldotcom

I used to go every year until this year. Last year was lame. Prior years always left with free tickets from Killington and others. Seems like these mountains give less and less every year. Never mind the $15 entry fee plus $15 to park. Used to be cool when they gave you Liftopia cash but that's gone also.

Whitey

I used to go every year until this year. Last year was lame. Prior years always left with free tickets from Killington and others. Seems like these mountains give less and less every year. Never mind the $15 entry fee plus $15 to park. Used to be cool when they gave you Liftopia cash but that's gone also.

Yah, gotta agree with you there. There's still some OK ticket deals. But not as good as it used to be. I was more disappointed in the ski gear deals. Used to be that you could get last years $900 skis for $300, still in the wrapper. This year those skis were tagged at $650. Meh.

I think the internet has made it easier for ski gear to get unloaded. And a lot of ppl are going to Epic or Ikon and think that's depressed the ski areas desire to offer add'l tix deals.

Even my ride and ski card this year is kind of disappointing. A lot of the ski areas that used to give you 2 for 1 or 50% off lift tix are now offering "$10 off lift tickets". Wow, I'll make sure I don't spend all of that savings in one place. . .

Whitey

I will add that it was still a good time and cool to see all the stuff and talk to ppl from the ski areas. Deals not as good as they used to be but still a good time. I went with my long-time friend and ski buddy. We spent some time at the Long Trail beer garden and worked on our apres-ski technique. I think we are already in mid-season form in that regard.

bdfreetuna

Even my ride and ski card this year is kind of disappointing. A lot of the ski areas that used to give you 2 for 1 or 50% off lift tix are now offering "$10 off lift tickets". Wow, I'll make sure I don't spend all of that savings in one place. . .

Yup Ride and Ski card isn't as good this year as last. That's OK, I'll go where the deals are. At least it was a good idea to wait for the Ski Show to get the card, I think I paid about $10 "extra" for a Magic lift ticket included.

One slightly interesting conversation I had was with the kid from the Indy Pass. I told him I was pretty much all set for this season, but planned on making that a core component of next season. He said he expected a few more VT and NH resorts to come on board.

Jay Peak was mentioned, he wouldn't name any others. I asked if the price for the pass would go up, he said maybe $20-$25 but not more.

bdfreetuna

Was there last week myself, and was able to score a free lift ticket to Nashaba, and half off at Ragged...

Nashoba will be good for a 5 minute down the street beer run from home....

Use the Nashoba for the night skiing. Basically the whole place is lit. Last time I skied there I was probably 10 years old but I enjoyed it then.

p_levert

One slightly interesting conversation I had was with the kid from the Indy Pass. I told him I was pretty much all set for this season, but planned on making that a core component of next season. He said he expected a few more VT and NH resorts to come on board.

Jay Peak was mentioned, he wouldn't name any others. I asked if the price for the pass would go up, he said maybe $20-$25 but not more.

Was he suggesting Jay Peak for this season or next? If it was for this season, that would be a pretty big deal. For next season, well, all kinds of things can happen between now and then.

KustyTheKlown

one or two more vermont spots and that indy pass becomes super intriguing. plattekill would be great too.

crazy

one or two more vermont spots and that indy pass becomes super intriguing. plattekill would be great too.

I heard that the owners of Plattekill were approached about being on the Indy Pass but they declined due to the complexity of the arrangement and it not being clear how much additional revenue it would generate for them. It's certainly possible that they will reconsider in the future as things change.

cdskier

Sounds more like wishful thinking on the rep's part rather than any actual real insider insight. Jay becoming part of the Indy pass would depend heavily on whether it ends up being sold or not and who buys it.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Went for the 1st night last night. Well attended, good time. You could tell everyone was pumped for the upcoming season. I didn't think the deals on ski gear were that great but some of the lift tix deals were OK. They were offering:

• 4 pack of mt sno/attitash/wildcat/crotched tix good anytime for $199
  • 3 pack of loon/sunday river/s'loaf tix good anytime for $239
  • 3 pack of Killington tix good anytime for $236
  • 3 pack of Cannon tix good anytime for $169
  • 4 pack of Ragged tix good anytime for $189

There's probably more that I missed from this list.

There were a lot of Ikon and Epic pass stuff/representation. I was surprised to see some of the non-New England ski areas there. Hokaido Japan had a big booth. Portillo Chile was there. Lots of Canadian areas. Big Sky was there, Ski Utah, and bunch of other western ski areas. They were all advertising some decent packages (flight, lodging, lift tix).

I am probably not going to be able to do a western trip this season so no Ikon or Epic for me this year. I just went with a couple of the mt sno/wildcat/etc passes and got my CHAD ski and ride card. I've done OK getting my avg tix price down to $50 or less with those in the past.

Good scene. Just wandering around and checking stuff out is cool. Recommend going if you can make it.

Nice report. I have not been for fifteen years (yikes), but agree that the ski sale was nothing too special. Wandering around, getting swag, talking to reps, and signing up for prizes was what I liked.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yah, gotta agree with you there. There's still some OK ticket deals. But not as good as it used to be. I was more disappointed in the ski gear deals. Used to be that you could get last years $900 skis for $300, still in the wrapper. This year those skis were tagged at $650. Meh.

I think the internet has made it easier for ski gear to get unloaded. And a lot of ppl are going to Epic or Ikon and think that's depressed the ski areas desire to offer add'l tix deals.

Interesting about the CHaD card being not as good as before. Are they still doing their "ski area tour?"