You know you're a ski bum when - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    When asked what do you do in summer....wait for winter...

Lets go!
    I'll drive.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigo View Post
    100 days isn't what it used to be, gainfully employed software developer who skis 100 days here

Definitely duct tape and I dont mean duct tape on your gear, I mean spare duct tape wrapped around your pole for midday repairs.

Edit - shit just checked 14 on the moose list
    That’s great! Good for you. Although, I have to admit that it sounds exhausting imo.

In my mind ski bumming isn’t about numbers anyways, it’s an anti-establishment counter culture. It’s a completely different lifestyle than what’s considered normal and it’s all about giving up societal comforts in order to be be in the mountains as much as possible.

No offense to anyone on here but you aren’t a ski bum being a desk jockey living in the city. Being a ski bum means you are going all in and fearlessly march to beat of your own drum.
    Last edited by raisingarizona; Nov 17, 2019 at 8:10 AM.

In summer time and most extra minutes is spent thinking about possible ski sinario that never actually happen . I don't love this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    That’s great! Good for you. Although, I have to admit that it sounds exhausting imo.

In my mind ski bumming isn’t about numbers anyways, it’s an anti-establishment counter culture. It’s a completely different lifestyle than what’s considered normal and it’s all about giving up societal comforts in order to be be in the mountains as much as possible.

No offense to anyone on here but you aren’t a ski bum being a desk jockey living in the city. Being a ski bum means you are going all in and fearlessly march to beat of your own drum.
    Agree on the different lifestyle part, but disagree on the anti-establishment part.

“Counter culture”? Yes. “fearlessly marching to the beat of your own drum”, absolutely. But I’ve met quite a few ski bums. Most are no more anti-establishment than many of the urban hippies.

Ski bum are also known for being super resourceful and squeeze out a living so he/she can squeeze in as much skiing as possible. thebigo‘s situation sounds to me quite smart.

Now, do you have to be poor to be a ski bum? That is probably the biggest sticking point.

I think most of the description on this thread are more of the “Ski Obsessed” rather than “ski bum”.

Admittedly, the term had be hijacked by the urbanite.

Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    I think most of the description on this thread are more of the “Ski Obsessed” rather than “ski bum”.

Admittedly, the term had be hijacked by the urbanite.
    Exactly. People can fantasize about the lifestyle from behind their desk jobs all they want but make no mistake, being a real deal ski bum is a whole different world.

I also dont think it counts if your Dad is a hedge fund manager in Greenwich, Connecticut.

A real ski bum has to struggle at least a little-bit financially. If not, you're just someone who skis a lot.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Thread Information