• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

You know you're a ski bum when

granite

you spend about ten minutes watching the lift spin and the snow cat groom Superstar on the Superstar live cam at Killington.

raisingarizona

When you buck the system and fully rebel against societal pressures to chase the American Dream so you can move to the mountains and ski 100 days a year.

mister moose

If you have 1 year old snow tires on a 10 year old SUV, you might be a ski bum.
If you can think of 5 things to put peanut butter on in 5 seconds,
you might be a ski bum.
If you get a discount at the local ski shop without asking,
you might be a ski bum.
If you own more pairs of gloves than shoes,
you might be a ski bum.
If you can bounce a quarter off your quads,
you might be a ski bum.
If you know what time the lodge unlocks their doors,
you might be a ski bum.
If you know where the day-old bakery section is,
you might be a ski bum.
If the directions to your ski house include the phrase "When you turn off the paved road....",
you might be a ski bum.
If the ticket checker just waves you through,
you might be a ski bum.
If your address begins with "P.O. Box ...",
you might be a ski bum.
If you have 2 jobs,
you might be a ski bum.
If people look down admiringly from the lift,
you might be a ski bum.
If there is duct tape anywhere on your clothing,
you might be a ski bum.
If your favorites tab has more than 10 weather pages,
you might be a ski bum.
If you ever got a paycheck from a ski resort,
you might be a ski bum.
If the Apres bartender knows your name,
you might be a ski bum.
If there is a place in the parking lot that the locals consider "Your spot",
you might be a ski bum.
If you know your BSL and DIN, but can't remember your mother-in-law's birthday,
you might be a ski bum.
If your winter address is different than your summer address,
you might be a ski bum.
If you have ever put sunscreen only on your nose,
you might be a ski bum.
If you know your height in centimeters,
you might be a ski bum.
If you have ever poured water out of your ski boot,
you might be a ski bum.
If your ski gear cost more than your car,
you might be a ski bum.
If you ever ate lunch out of your pocket,
you might be a ski bum.
If you ever wore your long underwear from shower to shower,
you might be a ski bum.
If your car has a tow strap, jumper cables and a shovel,
you might be a ski bum.
If you have ever sold a ticket in the parking lot,
you might be a ski bum.
And of course, If your post count is over 5,000,
you might be a ski bum.

thebigo

When you buck the system and fully rebel against societal pressures to chase the American Dream so you can move to the mountains and ski 100 days a year.

100 days isn't what it used to be, gainfully employed software developer who skis 100 days here

Definitely duct tape and I dont mean duct tape on your gear, I mean spare duct tape wrapped around your pole for midday repairs.

Edit - shit just checked 14 on the moose list

Cornhead

When you drive 4 hours each way..get a hotel to ski a few trails in november...
This, without the hotel. But for me, April and May, even June the last two years.

I guess that leads to, you might be a ski bum if there are only three months of the year you don't ski in.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using AlpineZone mobile app

raisingarizona

100 days isn't what it used to be, gainfully employed software developer who skis 100 days here

Definitely duct tape and I dont mean duct tape on your gear, I mean spare duct tape wrapped around your pole for midday repairs.

Edit - shit just checked 14 on the moose list

That’s great! Good for you. Although, I have to admit that it sounds exhausting imo.

In my mind ski bumming isn’t about numbers anyways, it’s an anti-establishment counter culture. It’s a completely different lifestyle than what’s considered normal and it’s all about giving up societal comforts in order to be be in the mountains as much as possible.

No offense to anyone on here but you aren’t a ski bum being a desk jockey living in the city. Being a ski bum means you are going all in and fearlessly march to beat of your own drum.

Last edited:

ScottySkis

In summer time and most extra minutes is spent thinking about possible ski sinario that never actually happen . I don't love this thread.

abc

That’s great! Good for you. Although, I have to admit that it sounds exhausting imo.

In my mind ski bumming isn’t about numbers anyways, it’s an anti-establishment counter culture. It’s a completely different lifestyle than what’s considered normal and it’s all about giving up societal comforts in order to be be in the mountains as much as possible.

No offense to anyone on here but you aren’t a ski bum being a desk jockey living in the city. Being a ski bum means you are going all in and fearlessly march to beat of your own drum.
Agree on the different lifestyle part, but disagree on the anti-establishment part.

“Counter culture”? Yes. “fearlessly marching to the beat of your own drum”, absolutely. But I’ve met quite a few ski bums. Most are no more anti-establishment than many of the urban hippies.

Ski bum are also known for being super resourceful and squeeze out a living so he/she can squeeze in as much skiing as possible. thebigo‘s situation sounds to me quite smart.

Now, do you have to be poor to be a ski bum? That is probably the biggest sticking point.

abc

I think most of the description on this thread are more of the “Ski Obsessed” rather than “ski bum”.

Admittedly, the term had be hijacked by the urbanite.

raisingarizona

I think most of the description on this thread are more of the “Ski Obsessed” rather than “ski bum”.

Admittedly, the term had be hijacked by the urbanite.

Exactly. People can fantasize about the lifestyle from behind their desk jobs all they want but make no mistake, being a real deal ski bum is a whole different world.

BenedictGomez

I also dont think it counts if your Dad is a hedge fund manager in Greenwich, Connecticut.

A real ski bum has to struggle at least a little-bit financially. If not, you're just someone who skis a lot.