• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The History of the Ticket Wicket

BenedictGomez

I thought this bit was especially interesting:

“Half the lift tickets sold today are secured to a guest via a wire wicket and half with zip ties.”

-Jason Shoats, VP of sales, Worldwide Ticketcraft

It suggests RFID penetration isnt that major at this point, but I'm also shocked that as many as 50% of resorts WW still use stickers & wickets. Must be more prevalent internationally if he's correct.

mister moose

I remember when very young, small local hills would still staple the paper ticket to your jacket or sweater. They would staple over the old one, until eventually you sat down with a screwdriver and pryed them all off. The staples were sizeable, and I think most were soft copper and not that hard to get off.

The paper tickets had very light or blank centers, and the cashier would ink a huge stamp and stamp your ticket with that day's code.

And then when wickets first hit the streets, your jacket often had no place to loop them through, so the wickets went on belt loops, that was the jeans era.

Tdizzle

I thought this bit was especially interesting:

“Half the lift tickets sold today are secured to a guest via a wire wicket and half with zip ties.”

-Jason Shoats, VP of sales, Worldwide Ticketcraft

It suggests RFID penetration isnt that major at this point, but I'm also shocked that as many as 50% of resorts WW still use stickers & wickets. Must be more prevalent internationally if he's correct.

Most are using zip ties.