Attitash and Wildcat for family beginner Ski vacation. Better option than Vermont?

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Attitash and Wildcat for family beginner Ski vacation. Better option than Vermont?

My family and I are 2nd year skiers. Although we do have a few days experience I would consider us all beginners! Last year we skied 9 times and this year we decided to upgrade to the epic season pass and are all super excited.

I have two young kids ages 9 and 7. It seem like Attitash and Wildcat are better values for a family vacation compared to some of the resorts on the pass in Vermont (like Okemo and Stowe). I am booking a 10 day vacation there over New Year's. Is this too many days for this mountain? Do these mountains offer enough "beginner to intermediate" variety for a family of mostly beginners to spend 10 days skiing at? Is it worth spending the extra money to ski in Vermont? Thanks!!

I personally love the Cat and Attitash isn't bad - but I think a beginner to low intermediate would find both mountains a little on the difficult side and quickly run out of enjoyable terrain (for that difficulty level). Just my opinion.

Okemo and Mount Snow have a plethora of terrain in that category - might be worth a look.

N. Conway is one of my favorite towns but having beginners for 10 days WildCat and Attitash may be challenging. Just my opinion. A lot depends on the weather too and how much terrain will be open. I've seen plenty of Christmas weeks that were miserable due to warm temps. If it were me, I'd try to throw in some time at Okemo to break it up a bit, if its not too far out of the way for you. Okemo has loads and loads of beginner terrain and does a great job with snowmaking in case the weather does not cooperate. Its also pretty kid friendly.

Okemo, Okemo, Okemo. There are lots of relatively inexpensive places to stay in Ludlow (the town at the base of Okemo). And the town its self has that quaint Vermont look/feel but with lots of "amenities" you'd be used to living in Suburbia not present in a lot of Vermont ski towns (a full supermarket, multiple gas stations, a 7-11, a Subway, a Dunkin Donuts, a couple inexpensive dining choices).

The mountain is huuuuuge, one of the largest in the East, and it's truly a beginner/intermediate skier paradise. Beginner and intermediate ski families are quite literally what Okemo exists for (Okemo gets a bad rap on this site due to it being not challenging and having excessive grooming and snowmaking).

Definitely find a place soon for New Year's. I'm going to shamelessly plug in my ski club lodge, it's 15 minutes south of Okemo. $30 a night per adult, full kitchen- https://dsc.clubexpress.com/content....odule_id=82050
    2019-2020 2 days and counting...
    Killington: 11/15 Mount Snow: 11/27
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

Quote Originally Posted by ss20 View Post
    Okemo, Okemo, Okemo. There are lots of relatively inexpensive places to stay in Ludlow (the town at the base of Okemo). And the town its self has that quaint Vermont look/feel but with lots of "amenities" you'd be used to living in Suburbia not present in a lot of Vermont ski towns (a full supermarket, multiple gas stations, a 7-11, a Subway, a Dunkin Donuts, a couple inexpensive dining choices).

The mountain is huuuuuge, one of the largest in the East, and it's truly a beginner/intermediate skier paradise. Beginner and intermediate ski families are quite literally what Okemo exists for (Okemo gets a bad rap on this site due to it being not challenging and having excessive grooming and snowmaking).

Definitely find a place soon for New Year's. I'm going to shamelessly plug in my ski club lodge, it's 15 minutes south of Okemo. $30 a night per adult, full kitchen- https://dsc.clubexpress.com/content....odule_id=82050
    What he said. Plus Mt Snow is an 1:15 south of Okemo if you wanted to break it up with a day trip down and back to Ludlow. You have lots of good options but don't wait too long to book lodging. Stuff fills up fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Killingtime View Post
    N. Conway is one of my favorite towns but having beginners for 10 days WildCat and Attitash may be challenging. Just my opinion. A lot depends on the weather too and how much terrain will be open. I've seen plenty of Christmas weeks that were miserable due to warm temps. If it were me, I'd try to throw in some time at Okemo to break it up a bit, if its not too far out of the way for you. Okemo has loads and loads of beginner terrain and does a great job with snowmaking in case the weather does not cooperate. Its also pretty kid friendly.
    If in the MWV you could do Cranmore, GREAT Mt for beginners !!!!
    Located right in town

Another option is stay in Burlington VT and ski Bolton Valley. Could stay in Stowe or Waterbury and do the same.

I also like Gore for a mountain that has a good amount of lower angle trails.

North Conway is a good idea, as someone mentioned Cranmore is a great beginner mountain, and you can mix it up a bit and ski Attitash, Wildcat, Black Mountain, Loon for some variety. I'd be getting bored of the same mountain after 10 days.

I expect that over 10 days the beginners will progress somewhat and take on some blue square trails.
    2019/2020 season [*powder day]

Mount Snow [11/14, 11/21, 12/2*]

Quote Originally Posted by 2Planker View Post
    Located right in town
    I was going to say. Sure, they're Epic but Cranmore is fun-historic and good for kids, Bretton Woods is another good learner/intermediate mountain with its own snow machine hovering over it much of the time, and Sunday River's an easy trip. Hell, take em to Shawnee on a Monday and introduce 'em to night skiing, I remember that being a really inexpensive ticket. North Conway's great for a bunch of reasons, but the fact that you can stay there a week and pretty easily hit a different area every single day is a big one.

Quote Originally Posted by 2Planker View Post
    Located right in town
    I was going to say. Sure, they're not Epic but Cranmore is fun-historic and good for kids, Bretton Woods is another good learner/intermediate mountain with its own snow machine hovering over it much of the time, and Sunday River's an easy trip. Hell, take em to Shawnee on a Monday and introduce 'em to night skiing, I remember that being a really inexpensive ticket. North Conway's great for a bunch of reasons, but the fact that you can stay there a week and pretty easily hit a different area every single day is a big one.

Quote Originally Posted by bdfreetuna View Post
    Another option is stay in Burlington VT and ski Bolton Valley. Could stay in Stowe or Waterbury and do the same.

I also like Gore for a mountain that has a good amount of lower angle trails.

North Conway is a good idea, as someone mentioned Cranmore is a great beginner mountain, and you can mix it up a bit and ski Attitash, Wildcat, Black Mountain, Loon for some variety. I'd be getting bored of the same mountain after 10 days.

I expect that over 10 days the beginners will progress somewhat and take on some blue square trails.
    I think he was trying to stay within the Epic Pass Resorts if I interpreted his question correctly, but I do miss Loon though. Gotta find a free weekend to go this year.

Thread Information