• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington Questions

urungus

Want to do more exploring of Killington this year. Appreciate any help with the following:

1. How many stairs are in the Peak Walkway (forgot to count earlier this year and can’t seem to find answer online) ?

2. What are the narrowest named non-gladed trails ? Powerline ? Catwalk ?

3. What is the most wide-open named glade ? Are there any barely-gladed “tree island” style runs ?

4. Are the runs that have disappeared off the map over the years still skiable ? (Juggernaut, the tail pod leading down to the abandoned Sunrise / Northeast Passage Lodge, etc. )

5. Have you ever skied the interconnect from the top of Pico down to the Killington access road ? What was it like ?

bdfreetuna

1. nope

2. Catwalk is a lot of fun, I recommend it highly even though you thought it looked steep from the walkway. Skye Peak lift line is narrow and rocky. Roundabout is the narrowest trail on the mountain, about 2 moguls wide. There's nice woods just above it too.

3. Squeeze Play on Ramshead... The Throne is also pretty open once you get past the first section, much steeper though. Growler on Bear Peak is pretty open too but probably not what you have in mind with the question.

4. Juggernaut was never really skiable without XC skis. The sunrise trails would dump you down at the Snowmobile place, not worth it.

5. nope

Dickc

Want to do more exploring of Killington this year. Appreciate any help with the following:

1. How many stairs are in the Peak Walkway (forgot to count earlier this year and can’t seem to find answer online) ?

3. What is the most wide-open named glade ? Are there any barely-gladed “tree island” style runs ?

4. Are the runs that have disappeared off the map over the years still skiable ? (Juggernaut, the tail pod leading down to the abandoned Sunrise / Northeast Passage Lodge, etc. )

5. Have you ever skied the interconnect from the top of Pico down to the Killington access road ? What was it like ?

1) 230 stairs back to the top. Add 5 more to climb up the gondola platform.

Killingtime

3) Open Glades? My favorite is off to both the sides of the the Stash. Pretty much the whole area is a mix of glades on both sides. Probably the closest to "tree islands" at K.

4) There are still skiable trails on top of Ramshead before the lift was shortened. I've seen people hiking it but it look like its getting grown in. I've always wanted to ski the old Sunrise trails, Thunderball, the Judge, etc but I've heard they are grown in now too.

mister moose

2. Catwalk is a lot of fun, I recommend it highly even though you thought it looked steep from the walkway. Skye Peak lift line is narrow and rocky. Roundabout is the narrowest trail on the mountain, about 2 moguls wide. There's nice woods just above it too.

3. Squeeze Play on Ramshead... The Throne is also pretty open once you get past the first section, much steeper though. Growler on Bear Peak is pretty open too but probably not what you have in mind with the question.

1. Doesn't matter, Stair Season is over.

2. Think of Roundabout as a ski and a half wide. Plus Helter-Skelter. However, the narrowest has to be Vertigo ladies tee, it's only 3 feet wide at the brook bridge.

3. The widest glade is Double Dipper, it's just that the trees are gone now. Also Patsies is pretty wide.

4. Exists, but not open/patrolled.

5. Low angle Cat track.

Rogman

Done for this year. It's not all that bad, and I'm neither a spring chicken, nor a prime physical specimen.

I'd say Powerline, but it gets tracked out pretty quick. I'll add Stitchline and Flume to the mix, but they're not the narrowest. Just examples of what you're looking for.

Right side of the Stash, and anywhere on Ramshead, marked or not. However don't poach Squeeze Play, even if it looks "ready". There's a stream that needs to freeze up, that's the delay.

Juggernaut: don't bother. I'll add top of Ramshead, but I'm too lazy for the few turns it provides, so no personal experience. Sunrise: some routes still work, others have grown in. Haven't done it in a while.

To the Access Road? No. There's a stream at the bottom you can't ford. Learned that the hard way! Follow the cat track to the right onto Ramshead, it's slightly uphill though.

No state secrets here...

millerm277

Roundabout, Helter Skelter, and Racer's Edge are worth mentioning as well. Roundabout is probably the trail that's the narrowest overall run.

Big Dipper, Squeeze Play for the former. Not really for the latter, at least at K. Been a while since I was at Pico, but I think they've got some runs like that.

Top of Rams Head gets pretty regularly skied.

Juggernaut was always basically a cross-country trail unless you were hitting it after everything iced up or something. Even then, not exactly an exciting experience. Also, if you're getting any ideas about going off trail out that way or off Falls Brook/Bear Cub, you're liable to wind up getting to hike yourself out of a ravine. The fall lines do not necessarily bring you back to a ski run.

Parts of Lower Sunrise were kept somewhat clear because they used to do snowmobile operations out of there, and I'm pretty sure there's a work road or two that's still used up certain old runs. I believe a lot of it is growing in, but some is probably still skiable.

Otherwise, Interceptor is still there. Echo Woods is too grown in to be worth skiing.

urungus

Yes, Birch Glades at Pico is very tree islandy.

Summit Glades at Pico is also very tree islandy. I don’t see anything like that on the satellite view of Killington.

Thanks for the responses everyone, looking forward to trying out your suggestions.