• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River and Sugarloaf New England Passes at Loon

machski

Just a heads up, anyone who received their New England Passes from Sunday River or Sugarloaf looking to ski at Loon, you cannot go direct to lift on your first visit at Loon with those. You need to stop by any Loon ticket outlet and trade in your SR or SL issued pass for one from Loon. Only Loon's issued New England Pass has the RFID tech embedded this year. One drawback to this is the Loon pass does not have a hole in it for a lanyard and you CANNOT punch one in. They are suppose to get some type of plastic clip or frame for the pass so you can hang it at SR and SL but they did not have those yet this morning.

One good thing, Ikon passes are direct to lift at Loon this year. So if you have both a NE from SR/SL and an Ikon, you could just use the Ikon at Loon.

Conditions are pretty good considering ma nature's mood swings this week. Great coverage and a lot of terrain with more on the cusp of opening.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Edd

Does anyone know if we can use the Ikon direct to lift at Sunday River? Going Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

KustyTheKlown

i was at SR last saturday and they did not have the rfid gates yet and were just visually checking passes including ikons. sweet, no scan for me. the liftie led me to believe rfid gates would be in place soon.

machski

Does anyone know if we can use the Ikon direct to lift at Sunday River? Going Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
As far as I know, you still need to get a day ticket with you Ikon, they are not direct to lift. If lift attendants were allowing Ikon skiers to access with just the Ikon pass displayed, they should not have been. Of course, last Friday they didn't even have anyone checking anything pass/ticket wise. They were checking today however.

Sunday River and Sugarloaf ARE NOT getting RFID this season. They do not have the back side technology required yet. They are suppose to get the switchover in the summer and be up with it for next ski season. Only Loon is RFID.

Also, I had no problem with our Loon issued NEP's today at SR. There is an issue though as the Loon pass does not specify pass level. So come blackout periods, I am not sure how SR is going to deal with those. I asked today and it sounds like they may go back to hand scanning at key lifts during certain periods, but unsure.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

skiMEbike

Also, I had no problem with our Loon issued NEP's today at SR. There is an issue though as the Loon pass does not specify pass level. So come blackout periods, I am not sure how SR is going to deal with those. I asked today and it sounds like they may go back to hand scanning at key lifts during certain periods, but unsure.

f.y.i....The handheld reading devices were out yesterday at Sugarloaf. Can already see this will be a cluster F$%k on busy days.