• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stratton RFID?

Zand

Does anyone know if Stratton has RFID now? This year's Ikon passes didnt come with strings and there isn't much room to work with to put one in. Would be awkward to have to show the pass each ride up.

Glenn

Scanned our passes with the regular old guns yesterday when my wife and I were there.

Slidebrook87

Yeah that’s to be expected, but hopefully now that RFID is common all around New England, people are more familiar with it.

patroller_sam

This year's Ikon passes didnt come with strings and there isn't much room to work with to put one in. Would be awkward to have to show the pass each ride up.

People at Mount Snow are having the same issues with the Ikon pass. I think all of these big-box mountains are going to have to switch sometime soon.

Used my Ikon at Stratton yesterday and was hoping to not have to pull it out of my pocket each time, but alas that's what I did.

Looks like it's time to buy one of those armband pass holders. What do folks use and are they stable; i.e. don't have to worry about they coming off?

jimmywilson69

my buddy turned me on to it. Its always attached to my goggles so no change of forgetting it.

Probably won't work for RFID gates though now that I think about it, since the target is lower

my buddy turned me on to it. Its always attached to my goggles so no change of forgetting it.

Probably won't work for RFID gates though now that I think about it, since the target is lower
I figured that, but since I've got both Epic and Ikon I'm always swapping or at least making sure I've got the right pass for the day. It wouldn't be a big deal to just put the area's pass in my ski pants pocket for those places that use the RFID gates.

Edd

Looks like it's time to buy one of those armband pass holders. What do folks use and are they stable; i.e. don't have to worry about they coming off?

I used one for a few years. An issue with them is when you take off your coat for breaks, the tension is lost on the band. If you’re not lying attention, it can slide off your jacket easily.

I started clipping passes to my pants so I never have to think about them.

drjeff

I figured that, but since I've got both Epic and Ikon I'm always swapping or at least making sure I've got the right pass for the day. It wouldn't be a big deal to just put the area's pass in my ski pants pocket for those places that use the RFID gates.

When I was recently listening to a Storm Skiing Podcast with Killington's GM, Mike Solimano, he mentioend that sometimes even if one has a valid RFID pass on them, that if they also have an RFID pass/day pass from a different area that isn't valid, that the gates/scanner may not work