• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Where did all the GoPros Go?

Glenn

So a few years back, everyone from 9 years old to 29 years old had these things fastened to themselves in one regard or the other. Now, you hardly see them. Did people get tired of POV?

KustyTheKlown

People realized that no one, not even themselves, gave a shit about watching them ski groomers all day long.

gmcunni

People realized that no one, not even themselves, gave a shit about watching them ski groomers all day long.

yup. my daughter still asks why i don't bring the gopro. i tell her we're not doing anything exciting and she gets offended that skiing with her isn't exciting.

raisingarizona

I heard last year that they were near going out of business.

I use mine still. Im a pretty good skier and still charge fairly hard and it’s nuts how mediocre my footage still is. It’s not easy to get GoPro shots that will actually excite people anymore.

abc

You sell yourself short. That was pretty exciting footage!

But I admit, I didn’t watch it all the way to the end. There’s only so much one can WATCH.

BenedictGomez

So a few years back, everyone from 9 years old to 29 years old had these things fastened to themselves in one regard or the other. Now, you hardly see them. Did people get tired of POV?

The answer you're looking for, in a chart.

Capture.jpg

jimk

I use mine still. Im a pretty good skier and still charge fairly hard and it’s nuts how mediocre my footage still is. It’s not easy to get GoPro shots that will actually excite people anymore.

Yeah! Good stuff. What's entailed in getting to open bowl/Rustler's Peak at 1 and 3 minute marks??

The reason gopros went the way of the dinosaur: The editing required to make mediocre skiers look halfway interesting is murder. I know I tried:dunce:

danimals

They are still around but are mostly used handheld for filming others. They are huge in diving and mountain biking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

abc

They are still around but are mostly used handheld for filming others. They are huge in diving and mountain biking.
It’s very nice to get a pov of the trail before going in.

Same for white water kayaking. Watching someone smoothly sailing though the rapid is one thing. Getting to see what he sees sitting at water level is very beneficial.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com

Thumbs up ,nice terrain and ability . Some videos are more jumpy then others ,was your mount loose or just a function of chest mount vs helmet location ?

I have a Sony camera and am pretty happy with it except for battery life .

jimmywilson69

my wife wanted to buy one for me. I was like, I ski PA all but 5-10 days a year. I don't need to film me ripping groomers at Ski Roundtop.

I appreciated the gesture, but the reality was that I don't have time or ambition to make 1 "edit" of a great powder day.

KustyTheKlown

Same for me. Parents, ex gf, current gf have all proposed GoPro gifts and I’ve said no thank you. I ski some pretty fun/interesting/hairy stuff but I don’t care enough to watch back, let alone put an edit together.

One friend is just a hilarious person, and when he has his GoPro he narrates the entire day to himself. Watching his videos after a day is the only time I’ve felt that it was a useful or fun thing to have. Dudes a nut

Slidebrook87

I use one, but I agree, unless you are skiing challenging terrain and you are good at it, there's nothing too cool about watching over the footage. I also think that having a GoPro a few years ago symbolized "how cool you were".

machski

Many friends/family suggested I get one but never wanted the bother. Then there was the issue where to mount the thing. Looked dumb to me on top of a helmet (and I'm in the woods a lot, I got a helmet so I'd stop hitting my head on limbs when I didn't duck just low enough. What would happen to the camera?!), didn't want the chest strap thing, especially out west where I wear a pack too, certainly wasn't using a selfie stick as a skier. So yeah, never got into that nonsense.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Glenn

Well done!

And that chart certainly gives and idea of how the company is doing. Quite a drop!

Bandit2941

It’s tough to get good GoPro footage. For one, it makes everything look not nearly as steep as it is. Especially if the lighting isn’t great which is usually the case in the northeast. I have managed to get some decent video from time to time though, usually when skiing in the trees. My wife and I also use GoPros to film our drag races so we use them both skiing and racing.

Here are some clips that came out decent:

Powder day at Kirkwood: https://youtu.be/bg1xb5x-NtI
Skiing Highmount: https://youtu.be/lnNvfyv19oI
Grass skiing closing day: https://youtu.be/Vv-_rsFjQzA

And here’s some drag racing from this summer: https://youtu.be/u1UsBfZoGfE

raisingarizona

Thumbs up ,nice terrain and ability . Some videos are more jumpy then others ,was your mount loose or just a function of chest mount vs helmet location ?

I have a Sony camera and am pretty happy with it except for battery life .

I always use the chest mount for convenience. The jumpy shots are from letting it eat over the chop.

cdskier

I used one for a while (not a GoPro, but a Contour which I liked better from a design perspective as the helmet mount was much less intrusive). The novelty wore off though. I'd rather take my DSLR camera with me and edit some nice photos from that instead of spend time editing a video of myself skiing the same trails over and over.

bdfreetuna

I thought GoPro sales might have kicked up temporarily since THC vapes got banned a couple months ago in MA. Supposedly the ban is getting lifted, so we can get a nice comparison before/during/post-ban.