• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Commit to Ski Plattekill this Year

deadheadskier

Staff member
Oh, it's VERY apparent with all the traffic levels on the interstates and highways down in Southern New England. Ridiculous compared to 20 or more years ago.
even ten years ago. My professional life has had me on the road since 2007. The traffic today in MA, CT and RI is night and day compared to 10-12 years ago. No escaping it. 495 used to be a circumferential highway to avoid metro Boston traffic. I regularly come to a dead stop even during the middle of the day around Lowell or Lawrence. Mass with the help of the feds should be looking to expand 495 to at least 5 lanes today. It's a disaster at 3 lanes and only getting worse in a hurry .

IMO metro roads around NYC are far better than Boston. It still sucks down there, but they made far more investment decades ago developing the parkway system.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

abc

IMO metro roads around NYC are far better than Boston. It still sucks down there, but they made far more investment decades ago developing the parkway system.

The reason the roads around NYC metro area are tolerable is because the commuter rail network took millions of cars off the road!

Without the trains, the grid lock would be unbearable. I lived in Silicon Valley for several years. The traffic there makes Boston proud!

I’m able to live where I am because there’s a train station nearby. When I moved in 10 years ago, it’s a dead, quiet, middle of nowhere village. Today, when I go to the train station in the morning, the line of cars stretches for like 1/4 mile just to get on the freeway! My then 10 minute drive to the train station is now 20 minutes!

Last edited:

tnt1234

Not going to happen...... I was there for storm Riley ( My first trip there ). It was there busiest day in the history of Platekill ,I never waited more than 10 minutes for a lift. It took me 45 minutes to leave , cars were parked 2 miles on the entrance road. It was a consequence of all the other Catskill areas power outages . Not likely to happen again.

That was one hell of a day!

Cornhead

Not going to happen...... I was there for storm Riley ( My first trip there ). It was there busiest day in the history of Platekill ,I never waited more than 10 minutes for a lift. It took me 45 minutes to leave , cars were parked 2 miles on the entrance road. It was a consequence of all the other Catskill areas power outages . Not likely to happen again.
I was there the day of the storm. I was soaking wet and shivering on the double towards the end of the day. I would tell myself that the run I was about to make was my last. I would automatically just get back on the chair. It was too good to leave til they made you leave. Thigh deep.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using AlpineZone mobile app

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
I was there the day of the storm. I was soaking wet and shivering on the double towards the end of the day. I would tell myself that the run I was about to make was my last. I would automatically just get back on the chair. It was too good to leave til they made you leave. Thigh deep.

LOL , I'm always in awe of your Powder chasing tenacity !

Many good memories ,probably my best East Coast ski day in the 40+ years on skis. All of the previous days track were filled in . Just navigating around the lodges giant snowdrifts was comical . People would step off the packed snow and be stuck up to their waist . I got on the lift about 10 minutes after they opened there were Hoots and Hollars from all over the mountain . After things got chopped up It was tiring ,before I headed for the woods I paused half way down Freefall .I noticed a ski pass me and bury itself in a ski track , I looked all around and didn't see any one . A moment later a young girl poped out of the snow about 100 yds uphill . She saw me and then fell backwards exasperated . I went over and dug it out and stood it up . She would have never found it LOL . It was a tough day to be a lower intermediate or beginner .

crazy

I HEREBY DECLARE THAT I COMMIT, THIS SEASON, TO SPENDING AT LEAST 1, BUT NOT GREATER THAN 2, DAYS AT PLATTEKILL MOUNTAIN (THEREAFTER REFERRED TO AS "THE RESORT") IN ROXBURY, NEW YORK 12474, A PRIVATELY OWNED AND OPERATED RESORT THAT FEATURES ALPINE SKIING IN THE WINTER AND MOUNTAIN BIKING IN THE SUMMER. I ONLY COMMIT TO PATRONIZING THE RESORT WHEN THE AMOUNT OF SNOWFALL OVER THE LAST 48 HOURS IS AT LEAST 12 INCHES BUT DOES NOT EXCEED 48 INCHES, AS 48 INCHES OF FRESH SNOWFALL WOULD WEAR DOWN MY WEARY LEGS TOO QUICKLY. ON SUCH DAYS, I MAKE A NON-BINDING COMMITMENT TO SKI AT THE RESORT, ALTHOUGH IT IS ALSO POSSIBLE THAT I WILL SKI AT COMPETITORS OF THE RESORT, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WINDHAM, BELLEAYRE, AND WHITEFACE RESORTS. I PROMISE THAT ON DAYS WHEN I PATRONIZE THE RESORT, I WILL ALSO PATRONIZE THE BAR DURING MY "APRES SKI" HOUR, WHERE I TENTATIVELY COMMIT MYSELF TO PURCHASING AT LEAST TWO ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES BUT NO MORE THAN FOUR ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES AS I INTEND TO SAFELY DRIVE MYSELF HOME AT THE END OF THE DAY OF SKIING. IN THE EVENT THAT I AM TOO INTOXICATED TO DRIVE, I HEREBY REQUEST THAT THE RESORT LET ME SPEND THE NIGHT, AT NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE, ON THE FLOOR OF THE "BLOCKBUSTER BAR" IN A SLEEPING BAG THAT I STORE IN THE TRUNK OF CHEVY SUV (MADE IN AMERICA). in the event that i do not fufill this legal requirement to spend between one and two days at the resort, i will pay at least $5 but not more than $50 to a local charity of my choosing, assuming that i do not forget this legal obligation. I, crazy, hereby sign this legal, binding but also non-binding contract on monday, november 25.

Last edited:

Cornhead

Ha, this thread reminds me of the AZ summit a few years ago. The plan was to ski an 18" powder day at Platty to start the trip to Maine. Scotty was to meet me at Platty in the morning. We were then going to drop his car off at his place, head to NH, get a place overnight, ski Cannon the next day before proceeding to Maine. I made Platty at opening, skied my ass off till Scotty showed up at one. I managed only one more run with Scott, I told him to ski as much as he wanted, I'd be hanging by the fire in the lodge.

Scott skied for a couple hours, time to drop his car off. He decides to show me the scenic, and longer, way back to his place. Off to NH we head. I'm more than tired by the time we hit NH. Pre cellphone, had a Magellan gps. The thing was sending me down cul de sacs at 2 AM. Scotty's asking me if it told me to drive into a lake, ala the office, if I would. I'm telling him to f off. We ended up at a place called, no shit, the Jack Daniel's Inn. Jack must've been passed out, no answer. I get pulled over for speeding, I have a radar detector, but the connection came loose. No ticket, thank God. I made sure the officer knew I was looking to spend money for lodging locally.

We finally end up at a Super 8. I was never happier to check into a hotel in my life. I had all I could do to lay down from leaning against the headboard bolted to the wall. Ah, memories.

ScottySkis

I just laughed my but off remembering that trip cornhead����������

cdskier

I don't know. I think our roads are terrible. All the major roads near me (the Turnpike, Parkway, I80, I78, I287, 46, 17, 3, etc) in NJ definitely have numerous bumper to bumper spots at various points during the day and not just during rush hour. And getting TO NYC in a car is an absolute nightmare. And it will only get worse once they start rebuilding the helix leading to the Lincoln Tunnel in a few years. My cousin lives in Queens (15-20 miles from me depending on which way you go). It took me almost 2 hours a few weeks ago on a Saturday evening to get there between traffic in NJ and NYC. (Coming home at 2am took a mere 30 minutes on the other hand). I'm just glad my commute is mainly going the opposite way of all the people that work in NYC so I usually don't hit TOO much traffic.

I know people in MA always complain about the traffic there, but anytime I had to go to the Cambridge/Boston area for work I thought the traffic was not as bad as what I'm used to down here.

deadheadskier

Staff member
https://www.boston.com/cars/commute/2019/02/12/boston-worst-rush-hour-traffic

the problem with Boston is there are literally only 3 highways into the city. Either the Mass Pike from the West or 93 from the North or South. Then you have the 128 circ 10-15 miles outside of the city and the 495 circ 30 miles outside of the city. Other than that it doesn't have all the various parkways that metro NY has.

What the city/state should have done years ago is opened up the route 2 and route 24 corridors to have those routes from the NW and SW into the city. As is they both stop 10 miles outside of the city and force you to get in line with the 3 main arteries.

I'm in the city about 2 days a week. It's a frequent occurrence that it takes me an hour to travel 3 miles by car when I'm down there.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app