• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Commit to Ski Plattekill this Year

catskills

Make a commitment to ski Plattekill Mountain this season. If you never skied Plattekill on a weekend after a midweek snowfall your missing out. Truly an amazing place for skiing and riding with no crowds.

With all the expansion improvements at Hunter and Belleayre I would suggest you give Plattekill a try for many reasons. Most important is you will have a great time skiing and riding without the crowds.

think snow

Sirbannedalot

Make a commitment to ski Plattekill Mountain this season. If you never skied Plattekill on a weekend after a midweek snowfall your missing out. Truly an amazing place for skiing and riding with no crowds.

With all the expansion improvements at Hunter and Belleayre I would suggest you give Plattekill a try for many reasons. Most important is you will have a great time skiing and riding without the crowds.

think snow

Yet here you are advertising it, trying to create a crowd and ruin what you say is the reason that makes it so special. :dontknow:

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Yet here you are advertising it, trying to create a crowd and ruin what you say is the reason that makes it so special. :dontknow:

Not going to happen...... I was there for storm Riley ( My first trip there ). It was there busiest day in the history of Platekill ,I never waited more than 10 minutes for a lift. It took me 45 minutes to leave , cars were parked 2 miles on the entrance road. It was a consequence of all the other Catskill areas power outages . Not likely to happen again.

raisingarizona

Best ski experience south of MRG imo.

I’m fairly convinced at this point that city folk love being in crowds. They bunch up on holidays and weekends making every place a lot like where they came from while “getting away from it all.” It’s madness I tell ya. They live in a perpetual line of traffic.

I can’t imagine it. I’d go insane.

EPB

That's one way to interpret this. The other is that this person correctly believes that Plattekill is under more intense competitive pressure now that Epic is in its backyard. For those interested in listening, there is an hour-long Storm Skiing podcast with the owners of Plattekill. They've done some creative things (mountain rentals to guarantee they don't lose money midweek is cheif among them). While they didn't represent that they thought Epic will kill them, it's apparent that their budget is limited. As you may be aware, the place was sold through bankruptcy in the 90s.

It's far from a slam dunk to contend the place needs no extra traffic from non-Epic people to keep the place going. We don't know what this person is suggesting in terms of wanting more visitors. Would 10% more traffic drastically affect the vibe? Do we have any basis for suggesting this person wants so many people to come that the vibe is alerted?

I'm plenty guilty of sticking my nose up at people here. Sometimes it was haired, sometimes it wasn't. In this case, no such behavior was warranted - despite the fact the comment reads like a pitch from Plattekill itself.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app

Sirbannedalot

Not going to happen...... I was there for storm Riley ( My first trip there ). It was there busiest day in the history of Platekill ,I never waited more than 10 minutes for a lift. It took me 45 minutes to leave , cars were parked 2 miles on the entrance road. It was a consequence of all the other Catskill areas power outages . Not likely to happen again.

If that was your first trip there, maybe you shouldn't comment. I was there that day and I've been there off and on for a decade or more. Not saying its busy by any means. But, if you have been going there you would know it has continued to get busier each year as the word gets out more and more.

catskills

Its simple. I started skiing in the 1960s. I have skied a number of areas on the Lost Ski Area Project. I do not want Plattekill added to this list. It wouldn’t hurt me and others to ski Plattekill one or two days this year. It’s been 2 years since I skied Plattekill. If the Catskills get 12+inches of powder on a Thursday, when you show up at Plattekill on Saturday you can still find powder. How cool is that?

abc

I’m fairly convinced at this point that city folk love being in crowds. They bunch up on holidays and weekends making every place a lot like where they came from while “getting away from it all.” It’s madness I tell ya. They live in a perpetual line of traffic.
This forum isn’t representative of the skiing public!

For many, skiing isn’t a sport. Nor are they “getting away” from their routine.

Skiing is a SOCIAL ACTIVITY for many!

We maybe bitching about the lift line here. But many others simply chatting away while standing in line. About 10-20% of my skiing days are like that, socializing with my co-workers or family members wearing skis on my feet.

I take them to Plattekill when I have a say. So far I’ve turned a few of them into Plattekill lovers. :)

millerm277

Plattekill: Some excellent terrain, especially when the snow is good. Unlike many resorts, if they're at least half open or so, there's far more trail capacity than there is lift (not that lift lines are common either). Every chair can be going up full and you're still not going to feel crowded on the trails, IMO.

Also, if you want local lodging, I can't really recommend The Roxbury Motel enough. Probably one of the most entertaingly absurd lodging experiences anywhere, and just a generally nice place. Not what you typically expect when you hear "motel".

EPB

It's the biggest downside to living in greater NYC as far as I'm concerned. There are so many people and a limited amount of places to go. Of course, this is by no means a new phenomenon - just exacerbated by better cars, increasing populations, growing rental stock and (temporarily) by a very strong economy.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Already ruined by years of people screaming about how uncrowded Platty was.

Blame it on Scotty LOL.

I was there twice last year, and no where near crowded by my definition. From what I understand the previous year before storm Riley they were struggling. I’ve got 2 nelsap areas near me ,they were fun and uncrowded . Hopefully they’re at a level that is sustainable.

kingslug

Been going there for 20 years..but not so much lately as we have shifted to vt..never saw it crowded..busy maybe but thats a good thing..i doubt anything said here will cause a shift..

kingslug

Been going there for 20 years..but not so much lately as we have shifted to vt..never saw it crowded..busy maybe but thats a good thing..i doubt anything said here will cause a shift..

BenedictGomez

It's the biggest downside to living in greater NYC as far as I'm concerned. There are so many people and a limited amount of places to go. Of course, this is by no means a new phenomenon - just exacerbated by better cars, increasing populations, growing rental stock and (temporarily) by a very strong economy.

It's the population growth.

Most Americans are completely clueless about this, but the US population has grown massively in a short period of time.

In 1980, the Census was 226M people, this year it's expected to hit 330M people, that's almost 50% MORE people living within the United States in just 40 years, and the dimensions of the country didnt get any bigger. Open space, and places to "get away" as you suggest, are disappearing with it.

JimG.

Staff member
It's the population growth.

Most Americans are completely clueless about this, but the US population has grown massively in a short period of time.

In 1980, the Census was 226M people, this year it's expected to hit 330M people, that's almost 50% MORE people living within the United States in just 40 years, and the dimensions of the country didnt get any bigger. Open space, and places to "get away" as you suggest, are disappearing with it.

Wow!

Something you and I totally agree on.