• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarbush Lift Replacements?

MEtoVTSkier

Also, a fixed grip quad can only run 450 FPM max regardless if it has a loading conveyor or not. Heaven's Gate already runs at 450 so there isn't a difference here.

False

Instead, Boyne opted for a fixed-grip quad capable of spinning 485 feet a minute with a carpet (without one, fixed-grip quads can only go 450 fpm by code.)

MEtoVTSkier

I wasn’t expecting backlash with every single comment I post though... You guys just need to stop being so aggressive to everyone.

Then maybe you shouldn't have started as a self-proclaimed expert on EVERYTHING Sugarbush related, especially with only 2 seasons experience there.

Believe it or not, probably most on here have a really deep knowledge of the skiing history and operations of most the the ski terrain in the Northeast.

Orca

Please let it be that Slidebrook87 is not real, and is some joke that Win is playing on all of us. Now that would be very funny! Hats off if it is you, Win.

Last edited:

WinS

Please let it be that Slidebrook87 is not real, and is some joke that Win is playing on all of us. Now that would be very funny! Hats off if it is you, Win.

Not me, but when I retire someday, I will be back on with a new name :)

EPB

I always thought it would have been cool if Sugarbush could have installed mid stations at the two depressions in the Slide Brook line like the one on the Maillard Express at Le Massif. Obviously, there are several hurdles prohibiting it.
https://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/bdd/reportage-tsd4-maillard-express-doppelmayr-4521.html

Edit: I mean by towers 12-13 and another by towers 20-22.
https://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/bdd/reportage-tsd4-slide-brook-express-doppelmayr-6231.html

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app

Slidebrook87

I always thought it would have been cool if Sugarbush could have installed mid stations at the two depressions in the Slide Brook line like the one on the Maillard Express at Le Massif. Obviously, there are several hurdles prohibiting it.
https://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/bdd/reportage-tsd4-maillard-express-doppelmayr-4521.html

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app

The problem with that is by building Slide Brook, they agreed to not develop in the basin. Because of this, no terrain could be developed in the basin. Also, midstations aren’t cheap to add to a lift. They may run you an extra $200,000 or so. I’m not sure of the actual cost, but that’s just my guess.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Slidebrook87

Then maybe you shouldn't have started as a self-proclaimed expert on EVERYTHING Sugarbush related, especially with only 2 seasons experience there.

Believe it or not, probably most on here have a really deep knowledge of the skiing history and operations of most the the ski terrain in the Northeast.

What’s wrong with being an expert about Sugarbush? It’s what I’m interested in. In fact I’m interested in ski history all across the East. Sure I may have 2 seasons under my belt at Sugarbush, but I’ve done plenty of research and time observing certain aspects about the resort.

gregnye

What’s wrong with being an expert about Sugarbush? It’s what I’m interested in.

It's not a problem to be passionate about something. It is however a problem to think you know more than someone operating the place and to challenge everything.

I see this all the time in my profession. I am in transit operations and have to deal with railfans and transit nerds that think they know everything about running a bus or train service but have never driven a bus/train or dispatched.

Sugarbush is unique in the fact that we have people who work there that participate in this forum. Win for example. I don't know any other mountain on the east that has staff members passionate enough to engage with us here at Alpinezone. Let's not scare him off by being know-it alls.

Slidebrook87

It's not a problem to be passionate about something. It is however a problem to think you know more than someone operating the place and to challenge everything.

I see this all the time in my profession. I am in transit operations and have to deal with railfans and transit nerds that think they know everything about running a bus or train service but have never driven a bus/train or dispatched.

Sugarbush is unique in the fact that we have people who work there that participate in this forum. Win for example. I don't know any other mountain on the east that has staff members passionate enough to engage with us here at Alpinezone. Let's not scare him off by being know-it alls.

I never said that I knew more than Win about Sugarbush. He owns it after all. The reason I was challenging things was either that I didn’t agree with the statement and was trying to share my feelings about it, or that I was curious as to why they said this. I can’t just agree with every single thing that people say. In life you do have to challenge things. I have met Win in real life and discussed these topics. With Alterra purchasing Sugarbush and the ski season starting back up again, I feel that there are a lot of ideas floating around. I don’t mean to be “annoying” or disrespectful in any way. I’m just trying to participate in this community to the best of my ability. I would like to restore this thread to its original topic: lift replacements. I have also started some other threads since lifts seem to be a sensitive topic on this forum.

nhskier1969

Since we are playing fantasy land with Lifts at Sugarbush, I feel they should take the slide brook chair and make it a Gondola. They would only need 1/6 of the Gondolas vs chairs on it. Also since this is fantasy land why not have a uploading station at the bottom of slide brook. Take slide brook and glade everything. Don't Glade it like what they have already done, but open it up a bit like it is in the woods at Castlerock. Possible have multiple chutes coming off the long trail between North and South. Possibly cut two trails. One trail would be the drainage trail that would lead to the uploading station of the Gondola. The other possible trail to cut would be on top of north lynx following the ridge line up to the Long trail. Use this for the snowcat operation they could run. 2 rides for 15 bucks. Similar to out west. This would bring skiers up to 4,000 ft so they could drop into slide brook for a true 4,000 acres of back country skiing.

Slidebrook87

Since we are playing fantasy land with Lifts at Sugarbush, I feel they should take the slide brook chair and make it a Gondola. They would only need 1/6 of the Gondolas vs chairs on it. Also since this is fantasy land why not have a uploading station at the bottom of slide brook. Take slide brook and glade everything. Don't Glade it like what they have already done, but open it up a bit like it is in the woods at Castlerock. Possible have multiple chutes coming off the long trail between North and South. Possibly cut two trails. One trail would be the drainage trail that would lead to the uploading station of the Gondola. The other possible trail to cut would be on top of north lynx following the ridge line up to the Long trail. Use this for the snowcat operation they could run. 2 rides for 15 bucks. Similar to out west. This would bring skiers up to 4,000 ft so they could drop into slide brook for a true 4,000 acres of back country skiing.

Ha!

MEtoVTSkier

What’s wrong with being an expert about Sugarbush? It’s what I’m interested in.

It's the fact that you AREN'T one, and you can't accept it, and keep insisting you are, and keep pointing out things everyone already knows whether your are actually correct or not.

You're really starting to sound a lot like Snoloco on Kzone, or that other annoying kid on Sugarloaftoday that are self-proclaimed "experts" on all things.

You're starting to make Highwaystar look intelligent!

Slidebrook87

It's the fact that you AREN'T one, and you can't accept it, and keep insisting you are, and keep pointing out things everyone already knows whether your are actually correct or not.

You're really starting to sound a lot like Snoloco on Kzone, or that other annoying kid on Sugarloaftoday that are self-proclaimed "experts" on all things.

You're starting to make Highwaystar look intelligent!

I don’t think you should be judging me like this. I do a lot of research about the eras of Sugarbush and all the different aspects of it. I consider myself to know A LOT. Not everything, but a good amount. I haven’t skied here for the amount of time that some on this forum have, so I never experienced some of the events they have, but I have instead researched this. I also don’t think you should be comparing me to others. I know Snoloco from his YouTube channel and I can verify that he does in fact know a lot. I’m not just going to say “Okay, I’m dumb, I don’t know anything about Sugarbush” because that’s false. I’m sure you don’t know everything about Sugarbush either. I don’t think Win even does. Nobody does. We all know what we already know and are learning more. I have started another thread about the best runs at Sugarbush. If you want you can check that out. Unlike this, it’s completely drama free. Many of my comments on this thread were simply points that others had brought up on other platforms such as Liftblog and YouTube. There was no conflict on those platforms so I figured there wouldn’t be here. Hopefully this thread can fade away and new, more successful ones can be made with far less of this useless drama.
I hope you understand,
SB87

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skiur

This is one of the funniest threads I have read in a while!

SkierDude

Ok I need to quickly chime in here. Let me give you an analogy that I hope you take as useful advice. If someone reads the entire US constitution, are they suddenly law experts capable of being on the Supreme Court? Absolutely not! They aren’t even experts at that point. If they read every law and code at federal and state level, are they suddenly a highly talented attorney? Definitely not! Yes they may work hard and be passionate about what they do but that doesn’t make them more experienced than others. It takes years of practice and experience to get more knowledgeable and most lawyers you speak to today wouldn’t ever call themselves an expert because they are always learning new things. I say this because you seem to care a lot about sugarbush which is GOOD! That being said, you gotta be careful with what you say and try to tone down the way you write your messages as they come with an arrogant vibe which will annoy the skiers who have been here a long time. Win has been in this business for a long time now and I bet he wouldn’t consider himself an expert because he makes changes to SB every year to improve! I hope you take my advice in to consideration as not everyone is as patient as I am to write out a post like this. Now back to lurking I go :)

Orca

I don’t think you should be judging me like this. I do a lot of research about the eras of Sugarbush and all the different aspects of it. I consider myself to know A LOT. Not everything, but a good amount. I haven’t skied here for the amount of time that some on this forum have, so I never experienced some of the events they have, but I have instead researched this. ...

Isn't it about time for "NE Chairlifts & Skiing" to agree that, in fact, SB87 is an expert in all things Sugarbush?