• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarbush Lift Replacements?

Slidebrook87

With Alterra's new ownership, what lifts do you expect to see replaced? I expect Heaven's Gate to be a priority and as North Ridge gets older, I can see that getting replaced as well.

WinS

We have replaced 7 and upgraded most others, so new lifts are not the priority. Both HG and NR have new drives and are running well. But yes, those two would probably be ones to consider along with Bravo in the future but not the near future as they are in good shape. Increasing snowmaking capacity is a greater short term priority. Our lift capacity is over 24,000 people per hour which for our number of skier visits is one of the best in the East.

Slidebrook87

Okay, enough with the jokes. I heard that Castlerock actually was planned to be replaced with another Doppelmayr HSQ back during ASC's ownership.

Slidebrook87

I know that the priorities are snowmaking, mid-mountain dining, and lodging, but since Alterra has had a history of installing new lifts during their first year of ownership (Stratton & Tremblant), I thought that there was a possibility that they might do the same here. Would the Heaven's Gate HSQ terminate where the gondola used to? I don't think it could fit where the current return is for Heaven's Gate unless there is major excavation done. I think the best route forward would be to do refurbishments on Super Bravo and Gate House to keep them running for another 10 years. North Ridge isn't really worth maintaining unless MAJOR work is done on it. It is utilizing first generation detachable technology with only 3 of its type (North Ridge included) made in America. Valley House was a great investment as it now provides a reliable backup to Super Bravo when it's broken down or on wind hold. It's also great for early and late season operations.

WinS

Okay, enough with the jokes. I heard that Castlerock actually was planned to be replaced with another Doppelmayr HSQ back during ASC's ownership.

I believe that was true and created a huge uproar. When we bought Sugarbush the old CR double was replaced with a new double chair. We would never want to put more capacity up there. It is worth the wait to keep the experience.

WinS

I know that the priorities are snowmaking, mid-mountain dining, and lodging, but since Alterra has had a history of installing new lifts during their first year of ownership (Stratton & Tremblant), I thought that there was a possibility that they might do the same here. Would the Heaven's Gate HSQ terminate where the gondola used to? I don't think it could fit where the current return is for Heaven's Gate unless there is major excavation done. I think the best route forward would be to do refurbishments on Super Bravo and Gate House to keep them running for another 10 years. North Ridge isn't really worth maintaining unless MAJOR work is done on it. It is utilizing first generation detachable technology with only 3 of its type (North Ridge included) made in America. Valley House was a great investment as it now provides a reliable backup to Super Bravo when it's broken down or on wind hold. It's also great for early and late season operations.

One replaces lifts when needed, not just because it is the first year of ownership. Actually major work was done on North Ridge a couple of years ago. A new Drive was installed along with new communication lines and all the towers were rewired. So yes, someday but not now. If we did HG we would likely put in a fixed grip quad and lower the towers in some areas due to the wind and likely move the terminal up slightly to open Downspout. A high speed quad is more vulnerable to wind. And major work has been done on Bravo, GH, North Lynx too. The two lifts that remain for new drrives are Summit and Inverness.

machski

I would think an upgraded drive on Ellen Summit would maybe be the first upgrade if you will (that lift could use a slight speed boost). With regards to CR, while I wouldn't want to see more chairs, I've always felt that lift could spin a bit faster, especially with the huge chair spacing. That would be nice. I cannot see HG going HSQ, FG with a carpet load to bump speed just a hair would be perfect I think.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
I would think an upgraded drive on Ellen Summit would maybe be the first upgrade if you will (that lift could use a slight speed boost).

I'm not sure if they run Summit at design speed, or below for some reason. But keep in mind that per ANSI B77, the max line speed for a fixed grip quad is 450fpm. So even on an absolutely perfect day with a brand new lift, with no stops or slows, running at full speed, Summit would still be about an 8 minute ride.

From my own perspective as a skier, Summit was neat as a novelty to take in the views from Panorama, and maybe enjoy a run or two on Black Diamond & FIS a few times a year. But Northridge is where you can really tally up your vertical. Hit Exterminator or Bravo then cut over to midflats and have your pick of Tumbler, Cliffs, Hammerhead, or Encore. I could lap those all day... and I did, for 112 days one season ;-)

p_levert

We have replaced 7 and upgraded most others, so new lifts are not the priority.

While we're talking lifts, I really do appreciate the way the Valley House quad was implemented (FG with carpet). It's so great to have a warm, wind protected lift that accesses a great variety of train. I just wish it would run 7 days a week! Thank you Win.

TheArchitect

As long as the lifts are running and reliable I don't care if any are upgraded. I'd rather see snowmaking heavily invested in and then, if the red tape could be navigated, some new terrain added. In the main SB thread a potential area or two have already been discussed.

Slidebrook87

I would think an upgraded drive on Ellen Summit would maybe be the first upgrade if you will (that lift could use a slight speed boost). With regards to CR, while I wouldn't want to see more chairs, I've always felt that lift could spin a bit faster, especially with the huge chair spacing. That would be nice. I cannot see HG going HSQ, FG with a carpet load to bump speed just a hair would be perfect I think.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

A new drive would not make it run faster. They do not run it at its design speed of 550 FPM. The max they can run it at since it's a quad is 450 FPM. The drive will need to be replaced sooner rather than later which might encourage them to bump the speed up a bit. Slide Brook is the fastest lift in terms of design speed, but it only runs at 950 FPM max these days. Its design speed is 1100 FPM. Some days it even runs close to 800. I don't find the speed to be too much of a problem though. At this point, I'm just happy that it runs at all. I'd love to see Alterra reflect the original vision of Otten to have the two ski areas one by running slide brook. It seems as though Ellen and Lincoln have grown apart largely due to the fact that the connector lift hardly ever runs. I'm not going to argue with the safety standards, but it has clearly taken a toll on Mt. Ellen.

WWF-VT

It seems as though Ellen and Lincoln have grown apart largely due to the fact that the connector lift hardly ever runs. I'm not going to argue with the safety standards, but it has clearly taken a toll on Mt. Ellen.

It's not the Slide Brook lift running or not running that makes the difference. The fact is that all of the real estate development, updates to the base lodge, ski school facilities, etc. have taken place at Lincoln Peak which for most people is synonymous with Sugarbush.

Slidebrook87

It's not the Slide Brook lift running or not running that makes the difference. The fact is that all of the real estate development, updates to the base lodge, ski school facilities, etc. have taken place at Lincoln Peak which for most people is synonymous with Sugarbush.

Yes, and that is why I say a part of it is due to Slide Brook. A renovation (not replacement) of the Mt. Ellen base lodge would be nice to see. Ellen clearly wins in the dining department though ;)

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
In my opinion, you could have a heated gondola or a 6-pack bubble chair on the Slide Brook line, and it still wouldn't attract many over to Ellen. Again, with most of the seasonal programs and the lodging and the "village" atmosphere of Lincoln Peak base, that's where most people are going to ski. I've had many many excellent weekdays at the MEllen, and then see double/triple the amount of people at Lincoln.

It may seem like Slide Brook never runs, and I've heard that comment from some guests during my years there, but if the conditions aren't right, it won't run, for safety. Not too long ago, SB was only scheduled to run Fri-Sun and holidays. Then it was upped to, IIRC, every day but Tue-Wed. Then, it became daily once again, as long as conditions permit.

Castlerock actually runs quite fast for a fixed-grip. No way could you turn up that lift in its present configuration.... you'd never be able to "bump" it. It's a challenge as it is and requires skilled operators.

Summit was always one of my favorite lifts... probably because it has the nicest on-mountain view, and I remember some warm spring days in April/May. But truly, North Ridge is best for some nice vertical. I believe the trail map back in 90/91 had the ride time of Summit listed as 6.5 minutes.

Slidebrook87

In terms of the popularity of Slide Brook, I'm curious to hear about the RFID data now that gates have been installed on all lifts.