• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Most Overrated and Underrated Ski Resorts in the east

Zand

That goes for December powder days with 100% mountain open as well as April spring skiing with 100% mountain open.

Yes that, but I was thinking more of those days after an inland coastal. While every other ski area in the east is running snowguns trying to cover their iced over groomers to make them skiable again, Jay is reeling in 30" from the upslope behind the storm (in which case you stay far away from the groomers and stick to the woods).

BenedictGomez

I could see a first time Jay Peak tree skier thinking it's underrated, and a first time Jay Peak groomer skier thinking it's overrated.

raisingarizona

I skied at Jay once and the snow was noticeably deeper than everywhere else. That was in 93 and their glades I skied were really well maintained and flowy. I do think I remember a long runout.

So what eastern mountains have the most quality vertical with little runout? MRG has pretty good pitch if I remember correctly and Plattekill sure has the quality over quantity. Stowe was good I think.

What’s the best powder skiing hill in your opinion and what qualities do you want for powder days?

JimG.

Staff member
I skied at Jay once and the snow was noticeably deeper than everywhere else. That was in 93 and their glades I skied were really well maintained and flowy. I do think I remember a long runout.

So what eastern mountains have the most quality vertical with little runout? MRG has pretty good pitch if I remember correctly.

Wildcat has sustained steeps 2000' vertical top to base of lift.

deadheadskier

Staff member

So what eastern mountains have the most quality vertical with little runout? MRG has pretty good pitch if I remember correctly and Plattekill sure has the quality over quantity. Stowe was good I think.

What’s the best powder skiing hill in your opinion and what qualities do you want for powder days?
Wildcat and Cannon on the Tramside are probably the two best in New England for consistent 2k vertical skiing with no run out. Smuggs off Madonna rates highly in that regard as well though the lift sucks. Stowe and MRG as you've mentioned. Sugarbush and Sugarloaf have more overall vertical than the above listed, but a lot more run out and require multiple lifts to ski it.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

JimG.

Staff member
Do you think it’s more classic than Cannon Jim?

I have been to Cannon for one 3 day weekend in my ski life and conditions were not great. I do like the big vertical but old school vibe at Wildcat a little better and I know the mountain better. But with a small Cannon sample size it would be a little unfair to rate the two. I want to get back to Cannon just don't know when.

Zand

I have been to Cannon for one 3 day weekend in my ski life and conditions were not great. I do like the big vertical but old school vibe at Wildcat a little better and I know the mountain better. But with a small Cannon sample size it would be a little unfair to rate the two. I want to get back to Cannon just don't know when.

Cannon is almost like Jay without the snow. Good glades when the snow is good. Kinsman is the best glade in New England. Groomers and overall intermediate experience are both pretty bad. Front 5 can be fun. Mittersill adds a fun alternative although I haven't been paying attention to what they've done to it the past few years. It was cool when they put the double in and pretty much said have at it without clearing anything.

If the snow is good, it's a great place. Old school vibe but still gets crowds as access from Boston is easy. If it hasn't snowed, don't bother (as you found out).

abc

Most underrated mountain: wherever you are after a storm.

Most overrated mountain: wherever you are after a thaw-freeze cycle.

Zand

To me, the most overrated is Stowe. Not to say it sucks, I always enjoy it when I go. I've also never been given a proper sidecountry tour which I think would enhance my experience. Love the inbounds woods off FourRunner. But other than that, IDK. I've never been there and not seen the groomers be complete boilerplate early, whether it be Nosedive, Liftline, National, Hayride, or even the stuff off the gondola. Every time I've gone over to Spruce, I find myself wanting to go back after two runs. Heart Attack Hill sucks.

This one will piss people off, but I'd also put in Mt Ellen as overrated. Always seems much colder and icier than South. North Ridge is the only lift worth skiing over there. Sure, there's no crowds but that's the only thing that is better than South. Speaking of crowds, I've never waited in a line at Heaven's Gate or Valley House and both have tremendous terrain.

Underrated, based on how it's talked about here I'd have to go with Sunday River. Was up there on a holiday weekend last year and hardly waited in a lift line except at South Ridge. Lots of room to spread out. Great glades off each lift, cool liftline trails, and fun groomers. Also, Smuggs. Wouldn't go near it on a weekend, but I always find that the doubles ae an appropriate ride time because you have to ski a lot of the terrain pretty damn hard and need that rest.

Slidebrook87

To me, the most overrated is Stowe. Not to say it sucks, I always enjoy it when I go. I've also never been given a proper sidecountry tour which I think would enhance my experience. Love the inbounds woods off FourRunner. But other than that, IDK. I've never been there and not seen the groomers be complete boilerplate early, whether it be Nosedive, Liftline, National, Hayride, or even the stuff off the gondola. Every time I've gone over to Spruce, I find myself wanting to go back after two runs. Heart Attack Hill sucks.

This one will piss people off, but I'd also put in Mt Ellen as overrated. Always seems much colder and icier than South. North Ridge is the only lift worth skiing over there. Sure, there's no crowds but that's the only thing that is better than South. Speaking of crowds, I've never waited in a line at Heaven's Gate or Valley House and both have tremendous terrain.

Underrated, based on how it's talked about here I'd have to go with Sunday River. Was up there on a holiday weekend last year and hardly waited in a lift line except at South Ridge. Lots of room to spread out. Great glades off each lift, cool liftline trails, and fun groomers. Also, Smuggs. Wouldn't go near it on a weekend, but I always find that the doubles ae an appropriate ride time because you have to ski a lot of the terrain pretty damn hard and need that rest.

I agree with you. I have gone there a few times. It is very nice, but it is praised much more than it should be. The village and Spruce Peak development is unrivaled, and I love the terrain at Spruce Peak. The weakest comes when you start to ski Mansfield. The trails are rather bland aside from trails like Goat. Toll House needs to be expanded and developed (if Vail can actually invest in Stowe...). They have capacity issues too. Just not all that great in my opinion. Go to Sugarbush instead. My two favorite trails are at Mt. Ellen, and I love to be able to ski two large mountains as one (with Slidebrook). I like both of the mountains and really appreciate the option. If Sugarbush was just South, I don't think it would be as good as we know it as today.

deadheadskier

Staff member
To each their own, but I think Stowe is the best combination of terrain and snow (man-made + natural combination) in the East. Two 2k vertical lifts, classic long bump runs like Goat, Starr, Lookout and Chin Clip. However if you don't know their massive side country terrain on both sides of the notch and their easily accessible hike to terrain, then you might not get the same impression of the place. It's also nowhere I want to be on a weekend. But on a midweek powder day? Stowe and Sugarloaf would be my top two picks in the East.

EPB

To each their own, but I think Stowe is the best combination of terrain and snow (man-made + natural combination) in the East. Two 2k vertical lifts, classic long bump runs like Goat, Starr, Lookout and Chin Clip. However if you don't know their massive side country terrain on both sides of the notch and their easily accessible hike to terrain, then you might not get the same impression of the place. It's also nowhere I want to be on a weekend. But on a midweek powder day? Stowe and Sugarloaf would be my top two picks in the East.

I endorse this 100%.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app

raisingarizona

I agree 110%. The runs are long and uninterrupted by annoying traverses and intersections making for good powder skiing. The mountain has flow.

Imho it’s the quintessential New England ski area and town.

The side country skiing puts it over the top and in between most ski runs there be hidden treasures.

KustyTheKlown

zand it always seems that we tend to ski pretty similar stuff at a pretty similar level. if you haven't skied the sidecountry at stowe you can't really say it is overrated. for strong skiers, the sidecountry and off-map woods at stowe are the whole point. go and check it out.

kingslug

I've skied Stowe for 2 seasons now and there is a ton of undiscovered terrain there..and since I'm not the most daring tree skier..that will remain. But it does leave the possibility for me to never get bored exploring the trees and side country. Its like Jay..you can stay on the trails and have an OK experience but the trees are the hidden gold. I even met a very experienced tree skier who is more than happy to drag me around in there..and has..but I'm not up to his ability and have gotten way over my head a few times..but thats a good thing as I will never get bored there.
People complain that is really only has 1 good lift and the gondi..but once up there you have a lot of options.

Tonyr

zand it always seems that we tend to ski pretty similar stuff at a pretty similar level. if you haven't skied the sidecountry at stowe you can't really say it is overrated. for strong skiers, the sidecountry and off-map woods at stowe are the whole point. go and check it out.

It's not a big deal to me as the side country at Stowe is a tracked out open secret anyway but I can post a link to a map of all of Stowe's well known side country if it's ok with the administrators here. So many people know about those areas already that it's kind of ridiculous that the runs aren't just added to the official trail map.

Tony

deadheadskier

Staff member
It's not a big deal to me as the side country at Stowe is a tracked out open secret anyway but I can post a link to a map of all of Stowe's well known side country if it's ok with the administrators here. So many people know about those areas already that it's kind of ridiculous that the runs aren't just added to the official trail map.

Tony
We don't have specific rules, but my general feeling is that such beta should only be shared via private message.